Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Threaded View

(Washington County)

Default Colt Three Five Seven, Pre-Python

Somewhat recently, I acquired a Colt model 357 revolver. The serial is in the 4000's and dates to 1954. Information on these revolvers can be found here http://www.coltfever.com/site/mobile...odel.html#2769

From what I can tell, all the internals are identical to that of a Python. Only the barrel differs, missing the underlug and vent rib. Also, there may be a higher degree of hand fitting on the Pythons.

The one unfortunate thing is that some past owner must have been monkeying with the action, because the hammer can push off. You may be unfamiliar with push off in revolvers. This means the hammer, when cocked to single action, can be released by applying forward pressure on the spur.

My dilemma is what to do about it. I could always bob the hammer and make the revolver DAO, but that seems like a desecration for a 60+ year old Colt. I could buy a Python hammer to replace the offending part, but it may need fitted, or it may have already been fitted to another gun. They seem to go about $200 on GB, which is manageable. I could always just leave it, and be sure not to cock the hammer when shooting. That is obviously not the safest alternative. Finally, I could call Colt and see if they have the parts and if they will do the repair work. This is sure to be the most expensive option, and I never like to send a firearm away for work.

Well, that's my burden. Opinions on what to do, or just chatting about these guns in general, are both welcome. Pictures to follow, probably this evening.
    Last edited by marinville; July 25th, 2018 at 08:05 PM.