Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Berks County)

Default Re: Ground Blind Questions

Yeah, nylon I believe.

I have one and based on when and where I may deploy it. I just want to make sure it is ready when I need it. Don't plan to use it 1st time out but want to have that option as I learn.
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

(Lehigh County)

Deer are going to be very spooky around a new ground blind. If you are going to use it, make sure you put it in the woods at least a couple of weeks before you use it, otherwise they will skirt a wide path around it.
    I would not recommend this on public land as your blind will grow legs in very short order.

Also, if you are hunting a blind, make sure to keep the back window flap closed (i.e. only open 2 windows). You don't want to get silhouetted by light coming in the back or side of the blind.

IMHO: unless you are hunting private ground and can set the blind up weeks before, a ground blind is somewhat useless. They are too heavy to carry in with all of your other gear and create too much of a disturbance for the deer.

Turkeys are a different story but for deer hunting I would leave the blind at home.
    FYI: I have a brand new blind that has been in the box for 8 years. I have never had the need for it and all I hunt is public land.

(Berks County)

I get you and have heard that before. Yeah, I know it will grow legs because people can't respect one another these days. I appreciate the tips.

I assume you use a climber or some sort of tree stand?

(Lehigh County)

Nope, I hunt from the ground typically.

I try to get in before all the other guys get in, I sit tight and typically don't move the entire day. I have found that on public ground some of the best times are when other hunters are moving around (in the morning, and at lunchtime). They disturb the woods and unknowingly push the deer around as they get into their stands and come out for lunch.

Also don't believe people that tell you the deer only move in the morning and evening. I have shot more than a few deer smack in the middle of the day. The way to see deer is obviously be where deer are likely to pass, and just sit still.

As far as visibility to other hunters I keep an extra one of those cheap fleece hunting vests in my pack. When I get to my spot I will pull it out and wrap it around the trunk of the tree around head hight when I am standing. I use some paracord loops I tied on to it to keep it secured and from flapping in the breeze. This lets other hunters see more orange and know that I am there. I have found that they can see that a longer distance away than my cap or vest when I am hunkered down behind a tree. It means that "generally" people will not walk within 50 yards of me. I also like to think it keeps me from getting shot at. I have never had a deer snort or spook because of it. As long as it is not flapping in the breeze, they will pretty much ignore it. Movement and scent are their primary triggers.

(Berks County)

Good tip on the orange, I need to keep that in mind.

Seeing a deer is truly about being where they are, so true. It's just finding where they are ha ha!

(Lancaster County)

From my experience deer don't care about a blind. I've set up a blind to hunt for evening and than hunted out of permanent next morning. I could see blind from my stand and deer walked within 20yds and didn't appear to notice it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12