Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Centre County)

Default State College LTC Holder Reported

A couple of hours ago, I was listening to my scanner here in State College and heard something that caught my attention. The officer mentioned something about someone who was carrying concealed. Normally, the radio traffic is mostly about medical emergencies, fire alarms, and traffic accidents. I don't listen often, but this was the first time I had heard something about a LTC holder. Apparently a guy went to drop off his pet and somehow the employees there saw his weapon. They obviously reported it to the police and told them they were not comfortable with him coming back on the premises. No mention whether or not the employees said anything to the LTC holder or not. Like a lot of these radio transmissions, they are succinct and the least amount of information necessary. Of course, it's not clear whether or not the employees even know that carrying is legal. It didn't sound like the employees were looking to report and enforce brandishing a weapon, but it's a really good reminder that concealed means concealed.

My question is, if you saw someone's weapon that was supposed to be concealed and isn't... would you say anything and how do you say it?

I'm asking because it happened to me once and it didn't end up very well as I'd like. I was at a gas station or smaller truck stop with a small fast food restaurant and while I was sitting eating, a guy in line clearly had his revolver hanging out of his pants IWB. I went up and whispered to him, "sir, just to let you know, your handgun is showing." He got defensive and started to say more loudly that he has a license and then pulled out his wallet to show me. I was waiving that I didn't want to see it and mentioned that I was a LTC holder as well and thought he would want to know. I was getting stink-eye from his family too. I just said, "never mind" and backed off and left.

I realized that I shouldn't have said anything. What if he wasn't lawfully carrying and I just called out someone who could have reacted much worse. I would only have myself to blame for that. Hindsight is 20/20.

I'm probably not going to call the police though, because 90% of the time, it's likely a legal LTC holder who happened to make a brief mistake "brandishing" his firearm. Maybe I should call the police to be sure. What would you do? Thanks for your thoughts on either the police report or my truck stop run-in.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: State College LTC Holder Reported

Read the laws on a LTCF
    The "C" does not mean concealed.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Perry County)

Since there is no requirement to carry concealed, I figure it's none of my business.

I sometimes carry "lightly" concealed. Meaning I might have a T-shirt over a gun and I'm printing badly. I don't care, because I'm lawfully carrying a firearm. If it ends up inadvertently being exposed, again, no law broken so I don't care.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by GreenMtnGunner View Post
    A couple of hours ago, I was listening to my scanner here in State College and heard something that caught my attention. The officer mentioned something about someone who was carrying concealed. Normally, the radio traffic is mostly about medical emergencies, fire alarms, and traffic accidents. I don't listen often, but this was the first time I had heard something about a LTC holder. Apparently a guy went to drop off his pet and somehow the employees there saw his weapon. They obviously reported it to the police and told them they were not comfortable with him coming back on the premises. No mention whether or not the employees said anything to the LTC holder or not. Like a lot of these radio transmissions, they are succinct and the least amount of information necessary. Of course, it's not clear whether or not the employees even know that carrying is legal. It didn't sound like the employees were looking to report and enforce brandishing a weapon, but it's a really good reminder that concealed means concealed.

My question is, if you saw someone's weapon that was supposed to be concealed and isn't... would you say anything and how do you say it?

I'm asking because it happened to me once and it didn't end up very well as I'd like. I was at a gas station or smaller truck stop with a small fast food restaurant and while I was sitting eating, a guy in line clearly had his revolver hanging out of his pants IWB. I went up and whispered to him, "sir, just to let you know, your handgun is showing." He got defensive and started to say more loudly that he has a license and then pulled out his wallet to show me. I was waiving that I didn't want to see it and mentioned that I was a LTC holder as well and thought he would want to know. I was getting stink-eye from his family too. I just said, "never mind" and backed off and left.

I realized that I shouldn't have said anything. What if he wasn't lawfully carrying and I just called out someone who could have reacted much worse. I would only have myself to blame for that. Hindsight is 20/20.

I'm probably not going to call the police though, because 90% of the time, it's likely a legal LTC holder who happened to make a brief mistake "brandishing" his firearm. Maybe I should call the police to be sure. What would you do? Thanks for your thoughts on either the police report or my truck stop run-in.
    How do you know the gun is supposed to be concealed? Open Carry is also legal in PA. Just because a person has an LTCF doesn't mean the gun has to be concealed. I don't believe there is anything called "brandishing" as far as PA law goes.

As long as the individual isn't doing anything hostile, threatening or menacing, I'd just mind my own business and go on with my day/life. If the property owner doesn't want the gun and/or gun owner on the property, it's their problem to resolve, not yours.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by unclejumbo View Post
    Since there is no requirement to carry concealed, I figure it's none of my business.

I sometimes carry "lightly" concealed. Meaning I might have a T-shirt over a gun and I'm printing badly. I don't care, because I'm lawfully carrying a firearm. If it ends up inadvertently being exposed, again, no law broken so I don't care.
    Yep. And 'printing badly' is almost never recognized by those who have no knowledge of firearms.

(Tioga County)

I think everyone that carries at first is self conscious about it but over time you will realize unless it's just plain out in the open carry, most people have either their head up their rear or their phone and just don't notice "printing" for a normal sized handgun.

If someone ever said something to me about my handgun and not being welcome, I'd say sure I'll take my business elsewhere.

(Washington County)

If you call the police because you get a glimpse of a concealed firearm... you're a cocksucker. That's as plainly as I can put it.

(Bucks County)

I'd mind my own goddamn business.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere. Voltaire

(Montgomery County)

Brandishing: wave or flourish (something, especially a weapon) as a threat or in anger or excitement.
    A holstered firearm is not being brandished.
    I have seen many people going about their day openly carrying or carrying concealed and unknowingly flashing.
    It's a nonissue that requires no response.
    A private business can ask you to leave and/or post a sign if they don't want you carrying in their facility.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Juniata County)

I might say something if someone was obviously trying to conceal.

Of course, I would say it like this.

"Nice to see another open carrier".
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast