Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Schuylkill County)

Default Re: State College LTC Holder Reported

Quote Originally Posted by TaePo View Post
    Thank God we aren't Florida. I just got back from Daytona. I carried my pocket gun because if you expose the firearm in any manner (even on your property) and if someone sees and reports it, you become Mr. Evil incarnate. They even allow Open Carry (OC) while fishing and hunting. But a group of fisherman found out that the law isn't worth the paper it is written on. They do have stand your ground laws, though.

The idea of arrest and possible conviction for accidental exposure of a firearm is ridiculous. It will only punish the law abiding for having the audacity to exercise their rights. Without OC, the right to carry doesn't exist as you would require a permit which costs money, usually training of some sort and permission of the government.
    I spend most of the year in Florida just North of Daytona. I have seen where a group of open carry fishermen had the police called on them and the cops just told the caller it was legal, but they hung around as a "presence" anyway.
    The Florida law does allow for brief inadvertent exposure. Like your tee rides up when you exit a vehicle then drops right back, That's supposed to be OK but I suppose it depends on who calls you out and what kind of a day the LEO is having. Purposely flashing your weapon is illegal.
    I carry IWB appendix and I am sure I print all the time. Nobody ever looks there.
    Daytona is a rough town especially along Rt 1. They have shootings there once a week it seems, you definitively want to carry if you have a license.
    Last edited by Coops; July 23rd, 2018 at 10:14 PM.

A simple, hey bud, your slip is showing should suffice, and put them at ease that you're not a moonbat at the same time.

If you absolutely feel the need that is.
    Go sell crazy some where else, we're all stocked up here.

Political power grows from the muzzle of a gun.

(Berks County)

I’d say something if their gun was sticking out of their sash. Especially if the sash didn’t match their shoes.
    Let's not forget there are still species of tropical penguins living in the Galapagos.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by donotknowme View Post
    I’d say something if their gun was sticking out of their sash. Especially if the sash didn’t match their shoes.
    is this the sash the CCW Badge is pinned to???
    Let's go Brandon!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GreenMtnGunner View Post
    A couple of hours ago, I was listening to my scanner here in State College and heard something that caught my attention. The officer mentioned something about someone who was carrying concealed. Normally, the radio traffic is mostly about medical emergencies, fire alarms, and traffic accidents. I don't listen often, but this was the first time I had heard something about a LTC holder. Apparently a guy went to drop off his pet and somehow the employees there saw his weapon. They obviously reported it to the police and told them they were not comfortable with him coming back on the premises. No mention whether or not the employees said anything to the LTC holder or not. Like a lot of these radio transmissions, they are succinct and the least amount of information necessary. Of course, it's not clear whether or not the employees even know that carrying is legal. It didn't sound like the employees were looking to report and enforce brandishing a weapon, but it's a really good reminder that concealed means concealed.

My question is, if you saw someone's weapon that was supposed to be concealed and isn't... would you say anything and how do you say it?

I'm asking because it happened to me once and it didn't end up very well as I'd like. I was at a gas station or smaller truck stop with a small fast food restaurant and while I was sitting eating, a guy in line clearly had his revolver hanging out of his pants IWB. I went up and whispered to him, "sir, just to let you know, your handgun is showing." He got defensive and started to say more loudly that he has a license and then pulled out his wallet to show me. I was waiving that I didn't want to see it and mentioned that I was a LTC holder as well and thought he would want to know. I was getting stink-eye from his family too. I just said, "never mind" and backed off and left.

I realized that I shouldn't have said anything. What if he wasn't lawfully carrying and I just called out someone who could have reacted much worse. I would only have myself to blame for that. Hindsight is 20/20.

I'm probably not going to call the police though, because 90% of the time, it's likely a legal LTC holder who happened to make a brief mistake "brandishing" his firearm. Maybe I should call the police to be sure. What would you do? Thanks for your thoughts on either the police report or my truck stop run-in.
    Regarding the situation you heard on the radio, the right response is to figure out which pet shop it was, then organize an open carry pet store shopping trip.

Regarding your personal interactions, I would simply say nothing at all and forget about it. Millions of people in this state carry firearms, and you are going to see them periodically. Not a big deal, nothing to remark about.
    Sic semper tyrannis

(Susquehanna County)

Welcome Newbie.

... My question is, if you saw someone's weapon that was supposed to be concealed and isn't... would you say anything and how do you say it?...
    Only if there was an issue like it was coming out of the holster, or someone else was reaching for it etc..
    As stared before LTCF "License to Carry Firearms" does not mean it MUST be concealed.. however to partially conceal does require a LTCF

...He got defensive and started to say more loudly that he has a license and then pulled out his wallet to show me. I was waiving that I didn't want to see it and mentioned that I was a LTC holder as well and thought he would want to know. I was getting stink-eye from his family too. I just said, "never mind" and backed off and left....
    I would have just said "Yeah, thanks" so he sounds a bit like a dick. and yes you are correct you should have just left it alone unless there was a problem

... I'm probably not going to call the police though, because 90% of the time, it's likely a legal LTC holder who happened to make a brief mistake "brandishing" his firearm. Maybe I should call the police to be sure. What would you do? Thanks for your thoughts on either the police report or my truck stop run-in.
    Read more here in the forum and learn.. Do not call the police unless there is reasonable suspicion they are illegally carrying

Just because you can see the firearm it is not Brandishing.. look up this definition

If you feel uncomfortable with CCW just open carry a few times and you will notice most people don't pay attention

In places like NY and FL I would definitely tell someone since in those places CCW means "CANNOT BE SEEN, AT ALL, NOT A SPECK"
    Last edited by Parrisk; July 24th, 2018 at 02:51 PM.
    Retired US Army
    NRA Life Member, GOA, USCCA
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity"

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by unclejumbo View Post
    Since there is no requirement to carry concealed, I figure it's none of my business.

I sometimes carry "lightly" concealed. Meaning I might have a T-shirt over a gun and I'm printing badly. I don't care, because I'm lawfully carrying a firearm. If it ends up inadvertently being exposed, again, no law broken so I don't care.
    Question unclejumbo. When off duty, can you attach your badge near the firearm?

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by ideaman View Post
    Question unclejumbo. When off duty, can you attach your badge near the firearm?
    I never did. That's something usually plain clothes guys do while on duty. Mostly so every other person doesn't ask "are you cop?" like open carriers are routinely subjected to.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Centre County)

I've politely told people that their gun was showing if I saw their shirt was bunched up or something. Used to happen in the store I worked at all the time. I've actually been told once myself. It happens, not a big deal, and no reason to call the police.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Knightshift View Post
    Tell us how you REALLY feel. LOL
    Reminds me of seeing one of the employees of the range I go to. We both got out of our cars and headed into the WAWA and as I followed him I saw that he kept tugging at his t-shirt obviously trying to cover up his IWB piece. I never would have thought to notice but he must have tugged at the shirt 5 times in the 20 yard walk into the store. Not to mention it was a blacLk shirt with BERETTA printed on the back! Not judging here but he does seem like a dick when interacting with him at the range. Well maybe slightly judging but would never comment about his (lack of) cover up.
    The shirt tug is called the "Picard".

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast