Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lackawanna County)

Default A cautionary tale of missing keys, AR-style

I've been pretty sick of late, hospital stays, resting up, and the like, so I haven't been at the range very much in the last few months, and then only enough to keep my basic handgun skills up.

As a consequence, my long guns, including mt M-4gery have been somewhat neglected.

Yesterday, I determined that there were two things I needed to do: replace all of my clothes with new ones that fit, and clean the long arms.

Both missions were almost6 accomplished; my AR is the last one for cleaning, since that one is kept where it can be gotten quickly and as a consequence, gets dusty faster.

Took it out, dusted it off, and realized that the tactile rubber coating on the red-dot had gone to goo, so I pulled the upper, got my 97% isopropyl and the appropriate cleaning cloths and a toothbrush, and removed the goo. I then cleaned and lubed the upper, put new batteries in the scope and light, and set it aside.

On to the lower!

Or not. I keep a trigger lock on the rifle, bur keep several keys in easy-to-get, hard to lose places.

Sadly, the last time it was out, I put the WRONG trigger lock on it...not the correct master that should be there, but somehow I picked up a different one that was supposed to have been thrown away, because I don't have keys for it...and can't even get a few blanks so I could impression one for it..

Needless to say, the next half-hour was spent drilling out the pins in a case-hardened cylinder.

Here is a reminder to CHECK the keys before you put the gun away! True, I would have needed to drill the thing out even then, but heaven forfend that I would have needed to actually use the thing in the interim!

A moment's inattention...
    "...a REPUBLIC, if you can keep it."

(Columbia County)

Default Re: A cautionary tale of missing keys, AR-style

Trigger locks are of limited use. About the only thing they are good for is preventing children or other unauthorized persons from operating the firearm. The gun with the trigger lock is still moveable and is still vulnerable to theft and burglaries. Have you considered getting a gun safe or a device that locks the gun to a stationary object?

(Chester County)

With trigger locks all you need is a piece of stiff wire with a small hook on the end or small screw driver. Insert wire or screw driver push on spring loaded teeth and it's off. Trigger locks were meant to comply with certain unreasonable gun laws not from keeping people from using a gun.

Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Susquehanna County)

Well we're glad that at least you're on the mend! Hope your condition continues to improve ...rapidly!

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Allegheny County)

Cleaning guns is overrated too.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Lackawanna County)

It wasn't a master or a cheapie that I could just pop apart in thirty seconds, so it had to be drilled out. If I didn't care where the shards went, I might have drilled it in ten minutes or so, but since the cylinder was parallel to the trigger, due care needed to be used.

The lock is on it for exactly that reason; keep somebody from firing it unintentionally. It is in an easy to reach position (if you know where it is), and is INTENDED to be gotten at quickly, which is why it isn't in the safe. A gun in the safe is worthless in an emergency. If the rifle can be ready to be aimed and fired in under ten seconds, it isn't worth having.

The safe was built with the house, and is part of the house...but it also isn't "convenient" to open quickly.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by wa3ra View Post
    It wasn't a master or a cheapie that I could just pop apart in thirty seconds, so it had to be drilled out. If I didn't care where the shards went, I might have drilled it in ten minutes or so, but since the cylinder was parallel to the trigger, due care needed to be used.

The lock is on it for exactly that reason; keep somebody from firing it unintentionally. It is in an easy to reach position (if you know where it is), and is INTENDED to be gotten at quickly, which is why it isn't in the safe. A gun in the safe is worthless in an emergency. If the rifle can be ready to be aimed and fired in under ten seconds, it isn't worth having.

The safe was built with the house, and is part of the house...but it also isn't "convenient" to open quickly.
    A gun that is staged for quick access as you describe should never be locked with a trigger guard or anything else that impedes or delays its use.
    If it must be locked for children then consider a rifle size quick access gun box like this: https://www.deansafe.com/ftk-shotgun-box.html
    If no children then keep it unlocked and hidden but within easy access.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Columbia County)

To each their own, they are your gun(s) and your house. I suspect you are aware that they make “nightstand” safes designed for fast entry. Some have illuminated push button combination locks others have biometric locks as well as standard key locks.
    However if you are satisfied with the trigger locks, it’s your call.

(Lackawanna County)

Jeesus...I keep a trigger lock that is easy to remove on ONE immediate access gun. If the kids manage to get at it, I don't want them to be able to fire it.

If "bad guy" manages to get there first, I want him slowed down.

There is a REASON that I keep a lock on it. Defense handgun is in my possession, condition 1. Handgun's purpose is to get me to the rifle.

(Montgomery County)

Jeesus...I keep a trigger lock that is easy to remove on ONE immediate access gun. If the kids manage to get at it, I don't want them to be able to fire it.

If "bad guy" manages to get there first, I want him slowed down.

There is a REASON that I keep a lock on it. Defense handgun is in my possession, condition 1. Handgun's purpose is to get me to the rifle.
    Hey man, you brought it up :P
    You're right to lock it up with the kids.
    Whatever you use to lock it should not require a key, push button is better and prevents this kind of thing from happening.
    With practice you can open the lock box I posted in under a second.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast