Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Electronic in-ear hearing protection

I am reserching better hearing protection. My muffs are generic but OK.. but my father's muffs have the electronic suppression so you can talk and then they cut out when you shoot. I really find that helpful. Looking online, I see that they have those for in-ear products, but I worry that they aren't going to offer the same level of protection and quality of product (being small and such). Just seems logical that muffs might offer more protection from the precussion of sound. But I don't know.. asking yinz experts.

Anyone use them? Have recommendations? Stick with muffs? If I do.. any suggestions??
    "If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Electronic in-ear hearing protection

I'm not an expert on such things, but the NRR rating is what you want to compare to see how well they protect your hearing. Higher the number the better. You'll find some muff style hearing protectors aren't that good (in the 22 NRR range) and others are much better (30 NRR). And, the same holds true for in-ear protectors, some better and some not. Do you have links to products you are considering?

I was looking at Walkers brand. They have a couple different kids. One is an ear bud that is not rechargeable. I heard they work great but eat batteries. I was looking at these:

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/27...yABEgIuQPD_BwE

$119 and rechargeable.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Allegheny County)

Peltor's, been using them since the mid 90s. Our department purchased them for our range, outstanding product. My wife's finally died a couple of years ago (she had hers for 20+ years) and I gave her my pair. I haven't purchased a new set yet, been using passive Howard Leight muffs with a 30db rating for the indoor range… but I am looking to pick up another pair of electronic muffs for outdoor use.

I have been looking at the Walker brand too.
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

(Armstrong County)

The Howard Leight and the Peltor Sportsman (i think) are great for the money. Then the Peltor Sport Tac in their respective series with better NRR ratings. The Peltors that are higher priced are not necessarily better, but its more along comfort and features as the price goes up. Normal range muffs to full operator with coms/mic/bluetooth.
    Sordin makes great products as well.

I think Tim at Military Arms Channel did a review a few years ago about electronic ear pro. Might a be a bit dated, but maybe a good place to start.
    HGW, llc ~ Title 1 & NFA sales/manufacturing ~ Transfers - Title 1 $20 - NFA $50

(Allegheny County)

If you are planning to use those while hunting you will want to be aware that PA regs. require electronic ear protection to be either completely in the ear or completely over the ear. The around the neck kind you linked might not meet the requirements.
    The Lord Bless You

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yoder View Post
    I was looking at Walkers brand. They have a couple different kids. One is an ear bud that is not rechargeable. I heard they work great but eat batteries. I was looking at these:

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/27...yABEgIuQPD_BwE

$119 and rechargeable.
    I have the walkers ear brand, the don't seem to muffle the sound as good as muffs ( I have the Howard Leight muffs ) but they do eat batteries. The batteries are air activated, meaning there is a piece of tape covering the batteries once you remove the the tape they immediately start draining, the first time I used them the batteries where dead three days later, it doesn't matter whether the unit is on or off. Buying batteries at Amazon seems to have the best prices, just put new batteries in every time you go shooting. Figure one dollar each time.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by 41 Redhawk View Post
    If you are planning to use those while hunting you will want to be aware that PA regs. require electronic ear protection to be either completely in the ear or completely over the ear. The around the neck kind you linked might not meet the requirements.

I had no idea the pa game commision required hunters to use ear protection.

Quote Originally Posted by 41 Redhawk View Post
    What other option is there besides in the ear or over the ear?
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by DukeConnor View Post
    I had no idea the pa game commision required hunters to use ear protection.
    They do not require hearing protection but do allow electronic ear pro subject to the completely in or over the ear stipulation.
    The Lord Bless You

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast