Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Erie County)

Default Re: IWB 6 oclock (mexican?)

Not sure this is noted as reverse mexican carry, when considering this carry is done above the jewels.

Some lite reading on the subject; https://www.gunforums.net/forums/gen...mas-ayoob.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

Reverse Mexican for Transgenders ?

(Warren County)

Quote Originally Posted by MARINE DIVISION TWO View Post
    Perverse Mexican for transgenders.
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Daycrawler View Post
    IMO a tucked in gun is CC.
    I carry IWB at 3:00. The only part of the gun visible is the grip, the rest is tucked into my beltline. Yes there are black clips, but they're on a black belt. My tucked-in gun was considered OC enough to bring out a platoon-sized element of SEPTA PD to inform me (incorrectly, and in contradiction to their training) that I couldn't OC on SEPTA.

They didn't complain about carry, just about OC. Of my tucked-in gun. So, your opinion is not the only one on the subject...

(Lawrence County)

So, if I understand this correctly, the gun was at the 6 o'clock position, small of the back, and tucked into the pants?

Eh... regardless of whether a holster was used or not, that's just... sloppy. That's not really how one should OC.

I'm all for OC, but I caveat that (and any method of carry) with "be responsible".

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by MARINE DIVISION TWO View Post
    No, reverse Mexican for Greeks.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere. Voltaire

when i answer the door i always carry shirtless mexican (up front) just so people know where we stand before there are any questions. not many have reason to casually saunter up to my house unannounced.

now that the OC said 6oclock and mexican i'm wondering if i misinterpreted the terms? isn't mexican up front in waistband?

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by R.A.D. View Post

now that the OC said 6oclock and mexican i'm wondering if i misinterpreted the terms? isn't mexican up front in waistband?
    Generally yes, that's why I had "Mexican" with a question mark. I looked up a few definitions and explanations and most just said it was holsterless carry in the wasteband without specifically mentioning a position, so I went with it.
    The Hostler

(Northampton County)

P-A-R-A-P-L-E-G-I-A?
    Some thoughts on why SOB or MOB carry is a bad idea!
    par·a·ple·gi·a noun
    Complete paralysis of the lower half of the body including both legs, usually caused by damage to the spinal cord.
    Excerpted from The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, Third Edition Copyright © 1992 by Houghton Mifflin Company. When I was much younger, there was what for the time (1959-60) was an exciting half-hour television series entitled Tightrope in which an unnamed1 police undercover agent played by Mike Conners (later more popular as private detective "Joe Mannix"), infiltrated organized crime to bring the leaders to justice. Perhaps the most memorable part of those 37 black and white episodes was the deep concealment method by which the agent carried his two-inch revolver. When crunch time (what we now refer to as "Condition Red") came, Conners would reach behind his back under his sports jacket or windbreaker, and rapidly produce his weapon.

I don't think many of us had seen anything like that before... we never got a good look at the actual rig he was using... but it was not only fast, it provided excellent concealment. Although few of us at the time concerned ourselves with "concealment" issues, and "quick draw" stuff was reserved for the likes of contemporary Western TV series stars such as Hugh O'Brien and Wayde Preston, it was different, and it was "cool!"

It was also, as I came to discover several decades later, an extremely risky place to carry a handgun.

By the time I'd grown up and discovered the realities of carrying a handgun, and come to grips, so to speak, with the practical issues of accessibility, concealment and comfort (in that order), I'd long since ruled out the Small-of-the-Back/Middle-of-the-Back option; it simply wasn't as fast as a strongside position, or as comfortable as an inside-the-waistband rig such as the Milt Sparks classic "Summer Special" originally designed by the late Bruce Nelson, or a similar variant from the legendary Gordon William Davis. And after I discovered the Rosen ARG, there was never a reason to look elsewhere for any sort of day-to-day carry for my working gun.

The subject of the SOB/MOB design came up one day while I was visiting the Smith & Wesson Academy in Springfield, Massachusetts, in the company of S&W's Pistol Product Manager, Tom Marx, now the Intellectual Property Analyist for Blackhawk Products. Before joining S&W, Tom had been a Chicago Police Officer for a number of years, and held some very strong views about that method of carry.

"Most modern departments and agencies have specific policies and directives prohibiting anything from being carried over the base of the spine," he stated. "Never mind a handgun, most Chiefs won't let their officers wear their handcuff case in that position!"

Marx made the too-often unconsidered point that cops are invariably wrestling around in alleys and on hard ground with suspects, and any sort of blow or impact to something as hard as 'cuffs or a firearm in that location, could cause serious spinal cord injury! Ouch!

Since that morning in October 1990, I've thought about that discussion a great deal, and collected as much information on the subject as possible. And the conclusion is that SOB/MOB is not a good idea, although it is frequently espoused by the unknowing2 in various forums and on newsgroups such as rec.guns.

Some of the more problematic elements of
    the SOB/MOB mode of concealed carry...

While reaching with palm inward for a gun positioned behind the back, it is near impossible to retain that gun should someone wish to perform a disarm; because of leverage and body mechanics, there is nothing one can do about it!
    If one falls and lands on one's back/butt, the gun can break the coccyx, or otherwise cause serious spinal cord damage. This is also why handcuff cases aren't worn back there anymore.
    Unless one's jacket is relatively long, the gun tends to show when bending over... and if the coat is long, then the gun prints during the bend.
    When it is critical to get the gun on target fast, its muzzle invariably crosses some part of the wearer's body, ranging from the right kidney to the right femur. That, compounded with the stress factor of needing that gun to safe a life, means the trigger finger is just itchin' to get on the trigger to save the day.
    Would anyone like to be to the left of someone using a right-handed SOB/MOB during the reholstering move? Many instructors will not allow SOB/MOB holsters in their classes for that very reason.
    If in a seated position, especially while in a vehicle, how does one get into action while sitting on one's holster?3
    So, there it is... you can think about it and then make a more informed decison.

And if you do decide to go forward with an SOB/MOB mode of carry, I don't think anyone makes a better design with more craftsmanship than Andy Arratoonian, Horseshoe Leather Products, of Great Britain. His work is beautiful, and he's a one-person shop... one of the last of the "ol' time" artisans.

My own holstermeister of preference, Mitch Rosen, has always resolutely refused to make such a design. So, if one doesn't want to do business abroad, DeSantis Holster & Leather Goods of Amityville, NY, gives good value as a manufacturer of serviceable rigs.

And if one isn't fussy, there's always that shameless mass-production knock-off shop in Phoenix... no names, please. Thems what know their leather wouldn't make that mistake anyhow.
    Speaking of Mannix and broken backs.

Some thoughts from a post on another forum. Actually, someone lifted from a defunct site.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...red-open-carry

(Erie County)

How big was the high noon burrito?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast