Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default What are good places to train "tactically"? Can you practice in State Game Lands?

Sometimes as a CCWer I feel like my training is limited at standard ranges. I primarily shoot at a free State Game Lands shooting range but I feel like I can't train in as many ways as I would like to. It's fine for shooting at paper, but I want to train tactically. I want to be able to shoot by myself, add in more movement in all directions as I would actually move during a defensive scenario, and be able to set up multiple targets (like ISPCA targets). I want to train at 1 yd, 2yds, 3yds, 7 yds, etc., not just at 1 standard 10yd range behind a mandatory firing line.

Can I go into a state game lands and set up ISPCA targets? If not, are there any other options? If yes, what kind of backdrop actions should be taken to practice safely?

Thanks!

(Berks County)

Default Re: What are good places to train "tactically"? Can you practice in State Game Lands?

How can it be you don’t know rules where you go or anachronism of thing you have? The rules are posted and enforcement is always close at hand when I’ve gone. Anyway no, you can’t. Look for a class.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: What are good places to train "tactically"? Can you practice in State Game Lands?

Seriously?? Have you shot at a state gamelands facility? They are no frills - shoot at paper at mounted target - limited to 6 rounds -no holster and thats the way it should be there ! You already take your life into your own hands just driving into those places!!
    What you want to do, you absolutely need a tactical class with a whole different set of rules !!
    Last edited by Just1more; July 21st, 2018 at 10:22 AM.

(Tioga County)

If you don't have any experience "training tactically", best thing to do is find a reliable vendor of such training so you can be supervised and coached.

Once you have some knowledge and experience then you can try your hand at IDPA or USPSA, which will give you plenty of experience drawing and shooting at targets of varying distance.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Musicman1eanda View Post
    Sometimes as a CCWer I feel like my training is limited at standard ranges. I primarily shoot at a free State Game Lands shooting range but I feel like I can't train in as many ways as I would like to. It's fine for shooting at paper, but I want to train tactically. I want to be able to shoot by myself, add in more movement in all directions as I would actually move during a defensive scenario, and be able to set up multiple targets (like ISPCA targets). I want to train at 1 yd, 2yds, 3yds, 7 yds, etc., not just at 1 standard 10yd range behind a mandatory firing line.

Can I go into a state game lands and set up ISPCA targets? If not, are there any other options? If yes, what kind of backdrop actions should be taken to practice safely?

Thanks!
    As the others said, it would be best for you to find a class and get some professional instruction before going out on your own and possibly harming yourself or others.
    If you need help finding a class just ask and we can help you locate one that fits your needs.
    Give us the general geographic area you are willing to travel and your general firearm experience, and we can match you with the appropriate training.
    Please stay legal and stay safe.
    Bern-
    Last edited by Berncly; July 22nd, 2018 at 08:33 AM. Reason: typo
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

I use the state range all the time. I draw from a holster and practice reloads. Ive done this in front of game wardens and they never said a word. If nobody is there I do whatever I want. I use the target stands provided, I don't bring my own. But I will shoot up close and on the move. Is this legal? No. Fortunately, I don't care. I'm not doing anything unsafe. I'll pay the fine if I get caught. I don't load more than six rounds and I always keep my gun pointed down range at all times.

I do this to practice for USPSA. I would join a club but there aren't any within an hour of my house that allow rapid fire and drawing from the holster. I was going to join Blue Ridge Cherry valley but they only allow you to fire a round every three seconds which is ridiculous. Taking a class is not going to solve the problem of being able to practice. Having said all that, I would never take targets and shoot on game lands. That is dangerous and that land is not mine to practice shooting. The range is different. If nobody is there, I'm not inconveniencing anyone. If anyone shows up, I immediately stop what I'm doing and return to the firing line. I treat it just like a match and never break the 180. If you are new to shooting I wouldn't recommend doing anything like this until you get some experience.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Threads like this make me appreciate PMSC even more. I setup my own target stands in my own personal space and do whatever the heck I want as long as the rounds hit the berms.

I think it's interesting that you can target shoot in national forests, although I've never done so. Are there any other National Forests in Pennsylvania other than Allegheny?

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yoder View Post
    I use the state range all the time. I draw from a holster and practice reloads. Ive done this in front of game wardens and they never said a word. If nobody is there I do whatever I want. I use the target stands provided, I don't bring my own. But I will shoot up close and on the move. Is this legal? No. Fortunately, I don't care. I'm not doing anything unsafe. I'll pay the fine if I get caught. I don't load more than six rounds and I always keep my gun pointed down range at all times.

I do this to practice for USPSA. I would join a club but there aren't any within an hour of my house that allow rapid fire and drawing from the holster. I was going to join Blue Ridge Cherry valley but they only allow you to fire a round every three seconds which is ridiculous. Taking a class is not going to solve the problem of being able to practice. Having said all that, I would never take targets and shoot on game lands. That is dangerous and that land is not mine to practice shooting. The range is different. If nobody is there, I'm not inconveniencing anyone. If anyone shows up, I immediately stop what I'm doing and return to the firing line. I treat it just like a match and never break the 180. If you are new to shooting I wouldn't recommend doing anything like this until you get some experience.
    If a guy is an experienced shooter he would not be posting this type of question.
    To encourage him to do stuff that you do as an experienced shooter is dangerous and may get someone killed.

The point here is to get him correctly oriented and on the way to safe and effective handling with proper training.
    When he develops his skills he will have the experience to do or not do the things you are describing.

You rightly mention this in your final point.
    But a guy who's only experience is games and television is going to read your post and ignore your closing warning.

Quote Originally Posted by Berncly View Post
    If a guy is an experienced shooter he would not be posting this type of question.
    To encourage him to do stuff that you do as an experienced shooter is dangerous and may get someone killed.

The point here is to get him correctly oriented and on the way to safe and effective handling with proper training.
    When he develops his skills he will have the experience to do or not do the things you are describing.

You rightly mention this in your final point.
    But a guy who's only experience is games and television is going to read your post and ignore your closing warning.
    Well good thing he's an adult and is responsible for his own actions.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yoder View Post
    Well good thing he's an adult and is responsible for his own actions.
    We don't know who he is or what he is.
    More importantly, what we post gets picked up by random Google searches forever and gets read by thousands of kids and untrained people looking for information.
    When I post stuff I try to keep that in mind, and I try to keep my posts from being unintentionally responsible for someone's eventual injury or death.
    As responsible experienced shooters we all have a responsibility to do so here, just as we do out on the range.
    The death we prevent may be our own.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast