Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Accuracy level of the PSA base models

I'm not new to the AR just haven't owned or shot one for a few years . Anyways been looking to scratch that itch again , seems like PSA has about the best prices on uppers so that's why I'm asking . The ones that I like are the standard Flat top type with the FSB and regular handguards probably a 16" mid length with the standard barrel . Anyone have one that could share how it shoots using decent ammo or reloads . Hopefully 4" groups aren't the norm my brothers oracle does better than that with ball ammo for 10 Rds .

Thanks , Tim

(Washington County)

Default Re: Accuracy level of the PSA base models

From my perspective, 4 inch groups with iron sights at 100 yards (which you did not specify) is good shooting.

(Blair County)

The last photo on this page shows 20 shots at 100 yards with military M16 sights. The 8 ring is 3 3/4 inch diameter, the 9 ring, 3 1/8 and the 10 ring, 1 5/8 and the X, 3/4 inch. The receiver is an Essential Arms and the barrel is a no name, probably a Wilson. The entire rifle is probably a Model 1 kit, but the trigger is a Jewel This group was fired Prone, totally body supported (no bags or bipod).

http://www272.pair.com/stevewag/matc...ighpower2.html

Steve

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by marinville View Post
    From my perspective, 4 inch groups with iron sights at 100 yards (which you did not specify) is good shooting.
    your right I didn't . Sorry if it only shoots 4" with a scope that's pretty poor . 4" with irons is decent But iron sight groups tell a false story sometimes depending on quite a few factors that can be rifle and shooter or both , some can shoot irons very well others have issues that make groups much bigger than the rifle is capable . So let's say groups with optics to eliminate variables . If your a good open sight shooter tell me what it can do as well .

There’s plenty of good shooters on YouTube getting 1.5-2” groups from PSA’s 4150 barrels. Their PTAC line was not great but they rarely sell any of that anymore.

Accuracy test starts at 2:30 and remember this is not a free floated barrel.

Last edited by Hodgie; July 20th, 2018 at 12:05 AM.

(Lancaster County)

Sorry, can't help with the accuracy issue, however, all of my PSA rifles have worked flawlessly and provide "sufficient" accuracy for my needs (just fun shooters, emergency defense) I'm not after MOA (at this point...). They do all work with multiple mags/ammo etc.

Cb
    Cb Μολὼν λαβέ

(Allegheny County)

IMHO, almost any name brand AR will shoot 2MOA at 100 yards, rested, with a scope, and decent ammo, if the shooter does their part.
    I have a no-name AR upper that will shoot 1.5MOA at 200 yards with a 4x scope, rested, with basic 55gn hand loads that were not made specifically for this rifle.
    Toujours prêt

(Lawrence County)

I've got an upper that has a lightweight stainless steel barrel with a 1:7 twist rate.

It's shot 2" groups (5 rounds) with Federal M855 at 100 yards, using an unmagnified red dot, supported on sandbags. Stock trigger, clear spring day.

I've gotten 1" groups on another PSA barrel at 100 yards using Wolf Gold, using a 4x optic, rested on sandbags. If have to look at what the specs are on that barrel, but it's one of the budget barrels. It just likes that ammo.

Barrels seem to have variance regardless of who makes them, though some manufacturers are a little tighter on what they allow depending on the tier that barrel is meant for. PSA seems to do pretty well with what they offer for the price range the barrel is in, and I've not heard of anyone complain about them when they get a mid or premium barrel.