Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Interesting Hunting Stories

I want to tell some interesting or funny hunting stories so I will be posting them here in this thread. Add your own too!

Rules:
    1. Must be a true story

2. Must be a hunt you personally participated in or witnessed firsthand.

I was out last summer to shoot groundhogs on a farm and saw movement in the woods 400 yards past the field. I put my scope on it to see what it was. It was two naked dudes with knives stalking a deer. They got really close, about 5ft from it.

So I squeezed off a shot into the field (in a safe direction). Spooked the deer. It took off and trampled one guy. He just laid there rolling on the ground holding his balls. I think the deer stomped his ballsack. 2nd guy lunged at the deer and caught it by the leg. It stomped and bucked and kicked loose. The guy went running out after him at full speed straight through raspberry bushes and undergrowth and disappeared into the woods. 1st guy eventually got up and followed them.

I don't know what happened after that.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Interesting Hunting Stories

I don't think anybody's gonna top that one.

(Huntingdon County)

When we were young my brother and I went out deer hunting. My brother doesn't really care for hunting, but he likes being in the woods. I pick a spot for him to sit on top of a small embankment on a well run deer path. The spot had a 12 foot drop (close to 90 degree angle) overlooking a old logging road.

I start walking in a big circle hoping to jump something or push something out to my brother. I have almost made it back to my brother and a doe jumps up running down the logging road towards my brother. I hear a shot.

When I make it back to my brother, I see the doe laying on the road in a mangled mess. Apparently the doe decided to make a sharp right turn up the embankment and into my brother. He hit the doe in the jaw, went through the neck, and into the back half of the spine. Then after it was hit it fell back on it's neck and rolled down the bank. It was a heck of a mess.

The first blood spot was maybe 2 feet from where my brother shot. That was the only deer he ever shot, and it was in self defense.
    Because Failure Is Not An Option

Quote Originally Posted by LMTguy View Post
    When we were young my brother and I went out deer hunting. My brother doesn't really care for hunting, but he likes being in the woods. I pick a spot for him to sit on top of a small embankment on a well run deer path. The spot had a 12 foot drop (close to 90 degree angle) overlooking a old logging road.

I start walking in a big circle hoping to jump something or push something out to my brother. I have almost made it back to my brother and a doe jumps up running down the logging road towards my brother. I hear a shot.

When I make it back to my brother, I see the doe laying on the road in a mangled mess. Apparently the doe decided to make a sharp right turn up the embankment and into my brother. He hit the doe in the jaw, went through the neck, and into the back half of the spine. Then after it was hit it fell back on it's neck and rolled down the bank. It was a heck of a mess.

The first blood spot was maybe 2 feet from where my brother shot. That was the only deer he ever shot, and it was in self defense.
    When this story started out with two guys in the woods for deer I was REALLY hoping it was going to turn out to be the "other side of the story" from the one I posted.
    But that would be crazy.

Thanks for sharing! Not too many stories of defensive deer shootings

(Susquehanna County)

A bunch of us were out at camp. One of the older guys from the city brought his 20 something son. Around 11ish after dinner and adult beverages the son said he didn't feel too good.
    The next morning it was BITTER cold and the younger guy said he still felt bad. We all thought he was a light weight and couldn't handle the home spun, high octane, beverages.
    The father, son and another friend loaded up and headed out, the sick guy's father promising they would post him at a tree and they would chase the deer.
    When they returned the poor bastard was in the bed of the truck damn near frozen and the other two roaring in laughter.
    The son related that at some point while freezing his ass off by himself, his stomach gurgled and he doubled over pain trying to figure out where he could try and poop.
    Finally he couldn't take it anymore and dropped his brand new Walls Coveralls and leaned back against a tree in a squat. Once finished with his explosive diarrhea he cut off his underpants and cleaned himself.
    When he pulled his coveralls back up and flipped his hood up over his head he realized he should have done something very differently.. he had loaded his hood with his intestinal issues.
    With no one around, not knowing where he was and a few hours left on the hunt he bundled up and waited it out. When they finally rounded him up they got back to the truck he explained what happened.
    By now the shit was literally frozen, bonding the hood to his hair. So they made him ride back in the bed of the truck
    We made him stand nearest the back door / wood stove until he could remove the coveralls.. then go bath in the stream. Clothing was tossed in the bed of the truck and he tended fire the rest of the weekend as he didn't have anything warm enough to hunt in. Never saw him at camp again LOL Kind of felt sorry for the bastard.

My best guess is the adult beverages along with a lot of venison stew got his colon pissed off that first night.
    Retired US Army
    NRA Life Member, GOA, USCCA
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity"

(Huntingdon County)

I've "lost" many of socks hunting before, but never heard of loading your hood up haha.
    Because Failure Is Not An Option

(Chester County)

I have two events. 1- Up New York, government land. Found a deer trail with tree fell across it. I positioned my back to the fallen tree. thought nothing will come from behind. I set my stuff down and a thermos of hot chicken soup on the tree limb to my right. Time went by, I heard something and turned and saw a
    deer smelling my thermos, the deer looked up and then STOOD STRAIGHT UP AND TURNED AND RAN, I thought I was dead, he ran about 10 yards, stopped and looked back at me, being shooked up,I fired my Remiington 300 mag from the hip causing the scope to come back and sliced the web between the thumb and index. He just stood there and trotted away. How the hell could he have slipped behind me??

2- In New York government land next year, , so I went out without a rope, knife etc. Damn! I got one. I shouted out for my cousin. This guy comes out says "what the "F" is the matter with you"? No pen, no knife, no rope. He lent me the knife & pen. I had to drag that carcass at least 300 yards thru the woods. It got tangled and caught all the way to the road.

I was so exhausted and fed up I sat on the side of the road. Guy drives by in a pick-up and asked, "are you alright"? I said "I've had it", you want a deer you can have it". He put the deer in the truck and took me back to the camp and unloaded the deer. I must've really looked bad. From there on out I sold my Remigton 300 mag and go to supermarket for my meat. Embarrassing but aTrue story.
    Last edited by ideaman; July 19th, 2018 at 11:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LMTguy View Post
    I've "lost" many of socks hunting before, but never heard of loading your hood up haha.
    I never go without half a roll of TP or a packet of wet wipes.

Quote Originally Posted by RockIsland View Post
    I don't think anybody's gonna top that one.
    Yeah that was amazing. Sounds like an episide of Jackass.
    Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

(Berks County)

I was out last summer near a farm stalking deer naked when someone shot me in the nuts.
    Let's not forget there are still species of tropical penguins living in the Galapagos.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast