Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Jefferson County)

Default Re: Privatizing PICS and NICS

Quote Originally Posted by hog45 View Post
    These are the wrong questions to be asking.

The question is "would you rather?"

PICS and NICS are already in the most incompetent and corrupt hands they can get. They are already in Gov Wolf's hands. They are already in the FBI's hands, BATFE hands, political hacks, etc... There are thousands of people getting false negatives and false positives. Bad guys are passing the checks and good guys are getting held up. The appeals process is horrible, slow and laden with government hacks and leaks from top to bottom. Who do you trust to protect your identity and gun-buying information? The government? That is the system we already have in place.

Would you rather have that, or a private company?

The question is whether you think the government will do a better or worse job than the private sector. I would rather have the private sector give it a try. I can't imagine it being worse. The right solution is get rid of PICS and NICS altogether, but if we are going to have them, lets at least take them out of government hands, right?

Apparently there is a lot more faith in the government here than I would have guessed.
    And with that scenario, Soros or Bloomberg(or one of the countless other rich individuals/organizations) buys controlling interest in the company doing the background checks, then only hires anti-gun employees.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    And with that scenario, Soros or Bloomberg(or one of the countless other rich individuals/organizations) buys controlling interest in the company doing the background checks, then only hires anti-gun employees.
    How is that different from what we have now?
    Sic semper tyrannis

I'll stick with my own background check system.

Me: Do you want to own this gun.
    Me: Yes.
    Me: Ok its yours.

(Erie County)

MoveOn.org would be perfect to take it over.

In a free market, businesses that suck go out of business, while businesses that are good at what they do, do well.

Honestly I am really surprised how many people here think the government is better and more trustworthy about gun purchases than the free market would be.

It is fine, I just would never have guessed it on this forum.
    Sic semper tyrannis

(Lancaster County)

In a free market, businesses that suck go out of business, while businesses that are good at what they do, do well.

Honestly I am really surprised how many people here think the government is better and more trustworthy about gun purchases than the free market would be.

It is fine, I just would never have guessed it on this forum.
    I think the issue is that it would be easier for it to be far more corrupt than it already is. Any company that would be allowed to operate by the state would be required to get some kind of special license to operate. So what happens when someone like our current governor only issues licenses to operate to his cronies? Those cronies then charge $500/check?

Right now there's control over the costs because it's written into law. Once it hits the free market, there would be no control, much like the asshole that bought the rights to the Malaria drug and then jacked up the price like a billion percent.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    I think the issue is that it would be easier for it to be far more corrupt than it already is. Any company that would be allowed to operate by the state would be required to get some kind of special license to operate. So what happens when someone like our current governor only issues licenses to operate to his cronies? Those cronies then charge $500/check?

Right now there's control over the costs because it's written into law. Once it hits the free market, there would be no control, much like the asshole that bought the rights to the Malaria drug and then jacked up the price like a billion percent.
    What you are describing is not a free, privatized market. You are describing a crony market. Not the same thing. I agree with you, everyone here is taking this thread wrong. I must have expressed myself poorly in the OP.

I believe the PICS and NICS system could be done in private hands, businesses competing against other businesses like America does everyday, to provide the best product at the cheapest rate. I am not talking about government licenses and partnerships. I am talking about a free, competitive market. It would be a huge market. Gun sales are big business.

Surely the free market principles that gave us automobiles, airplanes, smart phones and 3D printers could find a way to do reliable background checks without the government's involvement.

In my OP I asked *How* this could be done, and asked for creative thinking... Meaning outside the box.

Maybe I should post it on an entrepreneur forum or something.
    Sic semper tyrannis

(Delaware County)

Surely the free market principles that gave us automobiles, airplanes, smart phones and 3D printers could find a way to do reliable background checks without the government's involvement.
    Given that the checks involve research into government records, *some* involvement will still be necessary, no?

If we can't get PA to privatize liquor shops, which is the obvious right choice, we won't get the background check system out of their hands. PA Government wants to control EVERYTHING.
    Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post

There would be the same price variance as with FFL transfer fees...some charge $20, some charge $75.
    Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast