Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Deep conceal carry DA/SA pistol

Often, I am not able to wear clothes loose enough for most of my guns to be conceal carry. I trained in the military and out with DA/SA pistols and think that it is safest to keep things that way (maybe a straight DA in a pinch), because I really worry that unless I retrain how I think, I am going to end up with "Glock leg" with a 1911 style pistol (otherwise I would get a Sig P238).

Any suggestions on a mouse gun, pocket pistol or deep conceal carry pistol that is DA/SA? The only thing I really see is the Beretta Bobcat but that is a .22LR. Was hoping for a .380 or 9mm. I was originally looking at a Bersa Thunder or the Springfield XDE

Maybe I am too paranoid about size, comfort and printing??

(York County)

Default Re: Deep conceal carry DA/SA pistol

Quote Originally Posted by Stickler View Post
    Often, I am not able to wear clothes loose enough for most of my guns to be conceal carry. I trained in the military and out with DA/SA pistols and think that it is safest to keep things that way (maybe a straight DA in a pinch), because I really worry that unless I retrain how I think, I am going to end up with "Glock leg" with a 1911 style pistol (otherwise I would get a Sig P238).

Any suggestions on a mouse gun, pocket pistol or deep conceal carry pistol that is DA/SA? The only thing I really see is the Beretta Bobcat but that is a .22LR. Was hoping for a .380 or 9mm. I was originally looking at a Bersa Thunder or the Springfield XDE

Maybe I am too paranoid about size, comfort and printing??
    Honestly... what's your purpose in asking? You sound like you've already so pre-defined what you want as to make it a choice between only a very few guns. So you want reviews from owners of those.

OTOH, you turn around and questions your parameters.

My advice: go back to your original thread asking for suggestions. Leave your options open. I think you were on the right track there. But if you're determined it's a DA/SA mouse gun in >22 caliber, then just list the guns that fit your narrow criteria and ask for specific reviews by folks who've owned them.

You're kinda trying to have your cake and eat it too and that rarely works out well.
    DGAF

If your not caring about dependability a Jennings 22/25 acp ! If you want complete dependability a Glock 43 is the ticket !

(Montgomery County)

CZ RAMI.

(Allegheny County)

OP, instead of a "mouse gun" how about a S&W J frame snubby … get a 642 and you have DA only... and as someone posted already, take a look at the Kahr CW380 - a small, pocketable double action trigger system semi.

Good luck with your choice...
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

(Allegheny County)

Bersa Thunder? Springfield XDE? Mouse/pocket gun? Are you 500 lbs?

LOL

I do wonder if you're putting too much emphasis on DA/SA.
    The vast majority of carry guns are DAO - just pick one.

It doesn't get much more concealable than a Ruger LCP or Kel-Tec P3AT.
    I'm not really sure what the reasoning is for DA/SA on such a puny "last ditch" self defense handgun.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

My Kahr CM9 has a long, smooth trigger pull, with a long reset, that feels more like a DA trigger than striker-fired. I pocket carry it all the time, although it's a little too bulky for "deep concealment" in the pocket. It's nearly invisible in a tuckable holster, though.

If you're interested, you're welcome to give mine a try, since you're close by.

(Allegheny County)

I appreciate you asking and commenting. My pistols have always been a military service pistol, or my personal pistols (Beretta Px4, 92, and Ruger Mark pistols for target shooting). I have always kept them for home protection or for sport. I put a lot of restrictions only because I have a concern that if something happened under stress, I would want that extra safety of consistency of a platform. Perhaps that is silly. But there is confidence I have with shooting DA/SA.

I rented some pistols. I really loved the P238 and even the Browning 1911 380-- but when it came time to purchase, I got nervous about needing to be cocked and locked. I did think I could just continually practice racking as I unholstered. Really it is just a lot of fear of an unintentional discharge or early discharge while drawing the pistol that concerns me and so I have put up parameters for what seems "safe."

I am not new to shooting-- but certainly I am less than a novice for carrying outside the range or for the years I was in the service.

Quote Originally Posted by KCJones View Post
    Honestly... what's your purpose in asking? You sound like you've already so pre-defined what you want as to make it a choice between only a very few guns. So you want reviews from owners of those.

OTOH, you turn around and questions your parameters.

My advice: go back to your original thread asking for suggestions. Leave your options open. I think you were on the right track there. But if you're determined it's a DA/SA mouse gun in >22 caliber, then just list the guns that fit your narrow criteria and ask for specific reviews by folks who've owned them.

You're kinda trying to have your cake and eat it too and that rarely works out well.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    My Kahr CM9 has a long, smooth trigger pull, with a long reset, that feels more like a DA trigger than striker-fired. I pocket carry it all the time, although it's a little too bulky for "deep concealment" in the pocket. It's nearly invisible in a tuckable holster, though.

If you're interested, you're welcome to give mine a try, since you're close by.

Scruff,
    that is really nice of you. I am back on leave in August. I'll contact ou when I am closer and maybe take you up on that.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by Stickler View Post
    I rented some pistols. I really loved the P238 and even the Browning 1911 380-- but when it came time to purchase, I got nervous about needing to be cocked and locked. I did think I could just continually practice racking as I unholstered. Really it is just a lot of fear of an unintentional discharge or early discharge while drawing the pistol that concerns me and so I have put up parameters for what seems "safe."
    The above is really the problem here. You have an irrational fear which should be overcome by understanding and training, not worked around by searching for a pistol with an arguably obsolete action.

If you use a quality made holster and you use it correctly and you act deliberately and responsibly, and practice to the point of instinct, you will not shoot yourself in the leg. It isn't that the pistol is unsafe, it is that your own mind needs to be better prepared to responsibly carry a loaded firearm. Searching for a firearm that allows you to circumvent that preparation is not the correct action

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast