Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Range usage permit

Just to be clear. As a resident of Pa., If I want to use the gun range on the state game lands (#141) on Rt 93 just outside of Nesquehoning I need to have a hunting license or pay for a range permit?

I used this pistol range about 10 years ago with and I had a Game Commission officer get out of his car and talk to me, he never mentioned anything. He did question the 25 rd mags I had loaded in plain sight but the rifle was in the car and we didnt shoot it. We were shooting an S2K and he came over to talk about the rifle. He was an older guy and was pretty cool about the 25 rdrs. I had my wifes son and his friend, and they were the only ones shooting.
    Gotta stay awake, gotta try and shake off this creeping malaise

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by theduke View Post
    Just to be clear. As a resident of Pa., If I want to use the gun range on the state game lands (#141) on Rt 93 just outside of Nesquehoning I need to have a hunting license or pay for a range permit?

I used this pistol range about 10 years ago with and I had a Game Commission officer get out of his car and talk to me, he never mentioned anything. He did question the 25 rd mags I had loaded in plain sight but the rifle was in the car and we didnt shoot it. We were shooting an S2K and he came over to talk about the rifle. He was an older guy and was pretty cool about the 25 rdrs. I had my wifes son and his friend, and they were the only ones shooting.
    Welcome to today that is 10 years after that. YES you need to pay to play. Also a host of other rules may want to read the big orange sign more often.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rosco the Iroc View Post
    Welcome to today that is 10 years after that. YES you need to pay to play. Also a host of other rules may want to read the big orange sign more often.
    I have only used that range three times and none more recent than 10 years ago. We were using 20 rd mags in the S2K but only three rds in each mag. Each time I used the range was on a weekday. I wont use that range anymore or any SGL range in the future.

(Lehigh County)

The state game land ranges are paid for and supported by the PGC and paid for by hunting license fees. They do not get money from the PA general fund (taxes). They started implementing the licensing due to misuse and abuse of the ranges, and are not totally successful at that, but it seems to help. Much like the game lands themselves are open to other recreation, but certain restrictions are imposed to preserve the resource.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Erie County)

Started in 2011.

Thanks for your feed back, everybody. I did not mean to start a hulabaloo over this, I was only inquiring. I have bought a range permit online. At least I can bring a guest, my wife. Thanks all,you people are the best.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by SevenMilePete View Post
    Started in 2011.
    I used that range before 2011.

(Berks County)

I have only used that range three times and none more recent than 10 years ago. We were using 20 rd mags in the S2K but only three rds in each mag. Each time I used the range was on a weekday. I wont use that range anymore or any SGL range in the future.
    You are not alone on that.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    You are not alone on that.
    That's for sure. Between the archaic rules and the yahoos that frequent the SGL range I finally had enough three years ago. My club range membership costs 20 bucks a year. And it actually has usable benches, some under cover, and usable target boards. It's disgraceful the condition the SGL range was in the last time I was there. Target backers with nowhere to even staple a target, a total of four benches, made up of weathered plywood with splinters. One wonders where the money they get for the ranges goes. To pay for enforcement of the three round rule? SGL 109.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12