Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default Sig P229 FTE issues

I have a Sig P229R made in June 2013. I started having failure to extract and eject issues. The spent casing would remain in the chamber and the next round in the magazine would double feed. My Sig has the new long extractor. I heard Sig had some issues with them around that time period. I let some gun lube soak into the top roll pin that holds the extractor. The first 15 rounds had 3 FTE. The 2nd set of 15 rounds didn’t have any FTE. Prior to doing this my Sig experience FTE with every mag. I’m guessing I have between 300 and 600 rounds through it. I just disassembled the extractor. The springs look fine but the extractor and the channel it sits in was dirty as hell with carbon build up. I cleaned the extractor and channel and put it back together. It fed and ejected everything 100% when I quickly hand cycled it. I haven’t shot it yet since cleaning it.

Anyone have similar issues with their Sig P226/229?
    "The Constitution is the guide which I will not abandon.” - George Washington

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Sig P229 FTE issues

https://www.bing.com/search?q=sig+22...7d61d070959e54

It's been reported by various consumers...including NJ state police. Click on this^

(Northampton County)

Let me start by saying I have several Sigs. My P229 and P226 and M11-a1 all have been flawless, never a problem. Awhile back I purchased a P320sc and right out of the box I experienced the same problem you are describing. I did a good cleaning and tried a couple brands of ammo, same problem, I contacted Sig and they sent me a label right away. Told me it would be about a six week turnaround, I had it back in two weeks. I've never had a bit of trouble with it since. I carry it almost every day.
    All that being said, if it was working properly and then started acting up, sometimes you just have to scrub all those nooks and crannies.

Smit

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by smit308 View Post
    . . . All that being said, if it was working properly and then started acting up, sometimes you just have to scrub all those nooks and crannies.
    ^^^THIS.

It is not uncommon for any pistol having an external extractor to start acting up if the extractor and its mortise have become verschmutzt with products of powder conbustion, dried lubricant, and attracted dirt. Many times the crud will accumulate on the extractor or in the mortise directly behind the extractor hook, serving to hold the extractor pivoted "out" a bit on its pin, decreasing the degree of "grip" the extractor claw has on the case rim.

I can list the number of pistols I've cleaned for people (including myself) which exhibited the same functionality symptoms as you describe only to be remedied following the cleaning, but I have a full schedule today and it's a long list.

An additional thought -- it can sometimes be the extractor spring(s) being broken or weak, or burrs on either the edges of the mortise or the extractor itself. Any lack of force on the extractor hook from whatever source - schmutz, burrs, weak/broken spring - can cause those symptoms. Of course, this all assumes that the extractor hook has not broken or become damaged.

Now that you've cleaned it and it cycles rounds by hand, take it out and shoot it. The proof of the pudding is in the eating (to correctly quote the old adage).

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Chester County)

Thanks everyone! I’ll try to run it soon and see how it does.
    "The Constitution is the guide which I will not abandon.” - George Washington