Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: .303 Wolf Gold

Hybrid View

(Monroe County)

Default .303 Wolf Gold

Anyone else shooting this crap?
    I got 2 boxes and am only 5-8 rounds in but the primer has poped out a little in every one. None of the other .303 I shot though this rifle did this.
    My shoulder crono says it a little hot.

I guess it's a I got what I paid for situation.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Northampton County)

Default Re: .303 Wolf Gold

I've never used it. Try Privi if you haven't already. Works well for me and the brass is reloadable.

I was having primers back out on my 1903 due to gross headspace. The smith reamed the chamber too deep on a new barrel. He did take care of me though and all is well.

Stuart

(Westmoreland County)

Was the other ammo you shot mil. surplus with crimped in primers ? Or have you shot other commercial ammo ? Maybe headspace issue . As a little experiment take a small O ring and roll it down till it's against the rim . Load and force the bolt handle down squishing the O ring and fire then check the primer . if it's backed out still you have other gremlins

Quote Originally Posted by Rosco the Iroc View Post
    Anyone else shooting this crap?
    I got 2 boxes and am only 5-8 rounds in but the primer has poped out a little in every one. None of the other .303 I shot though this rifle did this.
    My shoulder crono says it a little hot.

I guess it's a I got what I paid for situation.
    Typically the gold is made to a much higher standard then their steel cases lines. The .223 is made by PMC if I remember correctly and it’s excellent especially for the price.

I can’t find much on the inter webs regarding the Gold 303.

what were you shooting it out of?
    a slow death awaits you,but not before love reminds you that there is good in you

(Monroe County)

1916 Enfield #1mk3
    I'll have to check the bolthead and see that # it is.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

measure it front to back with calipers too . the surfaces, not the threaded neck .

no.1mk3 dont run on the # on the bolt head , that's the no.4 system. all those marks are proofing.

spending $20-30 on a new head if need be might save you some headaches down the road.
    a slow death awaits you,but not before love reminds you that there is good in you

(Dauphin County)

On a .303 British Enfield rifle at max military headspace of .074 and a rim thickness of .058 you will have .016 head clearance.

Below the primer has backed out by the amount of the head clearance and this can happen with any rifle at lower chamber pressures.

Below a .303 British cartridge being fired at normal chamber pressures. As the chamber pressure reaches the yield strength the case stretches to meet the bolt face and re-seats the primer.

Below new 7mm mauser cases fired for the first time at lower pressures and the primers are protruding. The amount the primers are protruding is how much head clearance the cartridge had in the chamber.

This can be caused by short cases or excessive headspace or even both.

Below you can slip a very thin rubber o-ring around the case and this will hold the case against the bolt face. This will prevent the .303 British case from stretching when first fired and thereafter the case can be neck sized only.

Below the neck sized case will headspace on its shoulder and hold the case against the bolt face.

Below I fire formed these .303 British cases using the rubber o-ring method around the rim. Some people use small pony tail rubber bands or the rubber bands for braces. I prefer to use the round o-rings because when compressed it centers the case in the rear of the chamber and the rubber bands may not because they are cut square.

Below forming the cases with a o-ring and reduced loads of SR4759 or Trail Boss and .312 100 grain pistol bullets to blow out the case shoulder.

NOTE, No.1 bolt heads marked with the letter "S" for spare are the longest and can be lapped to the correct head space.

Also remember to grease your bolt lugs when using the o-ring method of fire forming and use the thinnest o-ring that will hold the case against the bolt face.

On a normal full length resized case you have a little head clearance. And with snug fitting neck sized cases and using the o-ring method the bolt lugs need to be lubed to prevent galling the lugs.
    Last edited by pete1955; July 17th, 2018 at 04:05 PM.