Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Ruger LC9s front sight loose

I know that Ruger will either pin the front sight or replace the slide with a slide that has a pinned front sight. I do not own a sight adjustment tool. I do not own multiple hand guns--only what I want for self defense (so, a $100+ front sight tool would likely be a $100+ expense for a one time use).

Background: A few weeks ago, after shooting, I was cleaning the LC9s. I noticed the front sight blade was off center by a good bit. I could easily push it to another location with my fingers using little force. Some spots were tighter than others, but the front sight is loose. I used a punch to move the sight to a point where it was almost out of the frame. I used rubbing alcohol to remove any oil that I could. I then used blue loctite on the frame and moved the front sight in place to a position that seemed like it was in the middle of the slide. After a few days, the sight seemed tight--I did not use force, just a gentle push. I took it to the range and I was off five inches at 25 yards. Recently at home, I tried to move the rear sight using a brass punch with no success. I heated the frame, but it still wouldn't move. I tried moving the front sight again, and it move easily. At some point, I plan on buying Tritium sights (probably TruGlo TFO sights).

Should I just contact Ruger and have them do the repair on the slide? I don't plan on replacing the sights for a little while until I can afford to--I have a few other credit purchases that I want to pay off first and don't want to get in over my head in debt (I know it's only a $60 -70 expense, but charges here and there add up). If I replace the sights with TruGlo TFO's, will the front sight movement still be a problem? I would probably just have the sights installed at a local shop as I'm not really sure that buying a sight pushing tool will be a good idea for one time use.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Ruger LC9s front sight loose

No way to tell if it's the sight tolerance being off or the slide tolerance. I'd send it to Ruger if you can be without your pistol for a couple of weeks and they'll get you fixed up at no charge. That way you can save up for your night sights.

(Beaver County)

Aim 5 inches off the center.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by john9001 View Post
    Aim 5 inches off the center.
    that would be fine if he was going to only shoot at 25 yards

(Allegheny County)

I’ve dealt with Ruger customer service and they were great. I had the front sight fall off of my vaquero. I sent it back and they said they couldn’t fix it. They replaced the gun.

I have an lc9s and so far so good on the sight. I don’t remember reading about it coming loose as a common problem so I’m sure they’ll fix you up quick. I would actually ask if they could install night sights while it’s there.

(Delaware County)

The sight on my LC9 came loose. Sent it to Ruger with a prepaid label and it was back within a week.

(Westmoreland County)

I'll give Ruger a call on Monday and see what they can do. Hope they just send a slide and label for me to send in replacement slide--may ask if they can install Tritium sights--although I'm guessing the sights would have a good mark up compared to other retailers.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by STBear View Post
    The sight on my LC9 came loose. Sent it to Ruger with a prepaid label and it was back within a week.
    I just called customer service and the person I spoke with stated I would have to pay for shipping. How did you get a prepaid label?

(Delaware County)

I called customer service and told them my front sight was coming loose and they emailed me a prepaid label to print. This was in 2014.
    Sticks and stones will break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Cville View Post
    I just called customer service and the person I spoke with stated I would have to pay for shipping. How did you get a prepaid label?
    Call again and hope for someone better seriously though just ask again and they should likely oblige.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast