Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default SIG P220 doesn't like WWB JHP

Is it acceptable / normal for a new SIG P220 .45 auto to have trouble feeding WWB jhp? Seems like a few rounds, usually the second round, the hollow point gets caught between the barrel ramp and the frame ramp.

The pistol seems to have no problems feeding FMJ rounds of all kinds. I haven't tried any other JHPs yet.

Is it acceptable / normal for a SIG P220 to no like a particular round like the WWB jhp?

Thanks

Default Re: SIG P220 doesn't like WWB JHP

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by American1776 View Post
    Is it acceptable / normal for a new SIG P220 .45 auto to have trouble feeding WWB jhp? Seems like a few rounds, usually the second round, the hollow point gets caught between the barrel ramp and the frame ramp.

The pistol seems to have no problems feeding FMJ rounds of all kinds. I haven't tried any other JHPs yet.

Is it acceptable / normal for a SIG P220 to no like a particular round like the WWB jhp?

Thanks

IMO, it's not unusual for any given pistol to choke on a particular cartridge while devouring the majority of other cartridges.

I can give examples of my own pistols, each cycling on a variety of FMJ and JSP/JHP cartridges from a variety of manufacturers, but failing to cycle a given particular JHP / JSP cartridge. For example, the majority of the several SIG P6 pistols are somewhat picky when it comes to JHP/JSP 9mm. I have a 1989 and a 1992 P6 that had slightly modified ramps and they devour nearly anything compared to the earlier-dated P6s. My P228s, OTOH, they are 100% functional with anything I've loaded.

The sole exception are my "PM" Makarov pistols. They function on any 9x19 load I've tried, 100%.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Centre County)

It's not unusual at all. Some semi-autos will feed anything put in them, others don't like certain shapes of bullet noses. Just like a lot of semi-auto .22 pistols and rifles shoot some ammo great and some ammo terrible.

Also, since it is new and not broken in, it may take some rounds being put through it before it functions well with any brand of ammo. Or, the shape of the WWB JHP bullets might just not be the right shape to reliably feed, no matter how many rounds have been fired through it.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member