Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

View Poll Results: How are YOU carrying while riding?

Voters
83. You may not vote on this poll
  • Off body-Tank Bag/Backpack

3 3.61%
  • Shoulder Holster

4 4.82%
  • Drop Leg Holster

1 1.20%
  • Outside the Waistband > 3 o'clock

35 42.17%
  • Bike Mounted Holster

2 2.41%
  • Other

42 50.60%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    (Warren County)

Default Re: Motorcycle Riders Only - Really, Don't Click if you Don't Ride

I carry wherever I normally carry Appendix IWB or 3:00 OWB with a retention holster.

Like Ex flying guy I'm not getting into a rolling gunfight. I'm getting the fuck outta dodge and good luck catching me.

I ride a Monstrous Rolling Barcalounger 1400 Suzuki Cavalcade that I traded an old POS car for.
    It's an antique: 1986 model and tagged as such = no inspection / annual registration

Its for sale or trade $2000 obo
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

(Allegheny County)

1. I ride a 2009 Kawasaki Concours. I carry my Solo, or Shield IWB, usually at about 3 o'clock

2. It works, and I see no reason to change my method of carry just because I am on the motorcycle.

3. No compromises

I have no issues carrying IWB on the motorcycle. I ride long distance usually when I ride, and it works fine. By long distance, many of my rides are from Pittsburgh to Iowa, around 760 miles one way. I ride straight through. I also carried like that to Yellowstone, most days being 800 miles, some more, some a little less. I do wear textile armored riding pants. I generally use a Remora holster with the clip. I've been carrying like this on the motorcycle for years.

(Allegheny County)

Currently, either my 03 Kawi Mean Streak (cruiser) or 90 Kawi ZX-10 - but I've carried on every bike I've ever owned, from full blown tourers, to race replicas, dual-sports, classic UJMs, and everything in between.

Normally carry IWB at 8 o'clock, as I'm a lefty. Right now it's either an FNS 40c or a LCP 380. Sometimes the LCP will get pocket carried in the pants or jacket. On rare occasion it'll be a 1911 OWB.

I used to prefer either a shoulder rig or to keep it in the tank bag. I no longer do for the following:
    - I no longer wear a shoulder rig, since I don't have one anymore. I always wear a jacket when I ride, but will take it off when I get somewhere, and still prefer to keep concealed.
    - I no longer keep it in the tank bag, as I prefer my firearm stay with me in an accident. I'm responsible for what happens to my weapon, and even if I land on it, and it bruises me, it's still under MY control.

Incidentally, I had just this scenario happen last spring. I lowsided on my way home from work, and was carrying my LCP at the time. As the medics were tending to me (broken clavicle), there were three or four strangers picking my bike up off of the pavement and moving it around. Had it been in the tank bag, who knows where it might have ended up, or who's pocket it might have made it's way into. I was transported to the ER via ambulance, and the bike was left at the scene (luckily a trusted coworker rode it bak to the office for me). I informed the ambulance crew of the firearm, which they left sitting on my lap for the 'bus ride', along with my pocket knife, and security at the hospital took care of it - where I received a receipt for my property! Through my 2 day stay in the hospital, it was secured in a locker in the security office, verses being left in a tank bag to potentially disappear. This just reinforced my belief in on-body carry when riding - or driving - or always. Shit happens, and can/will separate you from a vehicle, bag, desk, or anywhere else you might stash your EDC. If it's on your body, you never have to worry if it's gonna get lost, stolen, or picked up by a curious 5 year old.

As for drawing while riding? As a lefty, I could, theoretically work the throttle and shoot at the same time, but I have no delusions of it ever happening. Throttle up and get out of Dodge is a much more realistic solution over a rolling gunfight. I imagine I could run my FNS with riding gloves, as I will occasionally shoot outdoors in the winter with a pair of mechanics style gloves on, but not the LCP.

(Bucks County)

I chose OWB 3 o'clock, but I'm a lefty so it's actually OWB at 9 o'clock.

(Franklin County)

I answered "other" on the poll because while I do sometimes carry OWB, I mostly carry in my riding jacket pocket (in a pocket holster). I ride a Suzuki Vstrom (upright riding position), I carry a J-frame and I almost always wear my riding jacket which has nice big pockets that zip up. Besides OWB my jacket pocket is the most comfortable and I feel it's more secure than OWB, I don't worry about losing it while riding or during an unplanned get-off. Because of the zipper the gun is not as accessible in the jacket pocket as it is on my side but after a bit of fiddling with the zipper I can get to the gun and draw it one handed with my riding gloves on. When I stop I transfer it from jacket pocket to pants pocket. If I'm carrying the Glock (seldom), it's OWB.
    Last edited by ray h; July 10th, 2018 at 03:32 PM.
    The Hostler

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by jaseman View Post
    Currently, ......
    - I no longer keep it in the tank bag, as I prefer my firearm stay with me in an accident. I'm responsible for what happens to my weapon, and even if I land on it, and it bruises me, it's still under MY control..

IMHO I have always said if it is not securely put away, it is ON my person. Kept trying to instill that with my wife who kept wanting a CCW Purse. Then one time shopping she got distracted and left her purse at a table when we left. A young kids came running after us to return the purse.. "See if that had been a CCW Purse with firearm, yeah well you get my point"

I have a vest and a mesh bike jacket with CCW pockets.. but they sag to that side and I don't feel I could access my firearm as fast as from my holster.. so just storage pockets now LOL
    Retired US Army
    NRA Life Member, GOA, USCCA
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity"

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    Could never figure out if I wanted to be unable to use the throttle and front brake with gun in right hand, or unable to use the clutch with gun in left hand. Figured neither would work to my advantage. Also can't think of a scenario where I would be reaching for a gun over out-maneuvering the threat.

2005 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Classic.
    To steal a line from Active Self Protection's youtube self defense channel, "transitional spaces".

You are most likely not going to be held up while doing 80 MPH on the turnpike, nor while cruising at 15 around Manayunk.

If, God forbid, you ever get mistaken for prey while on your bike it's likely to be while you're mounting or dismounting the motorcycle. Not only are you dealing with a 500 lbs plus piece of equipment, you may have reduced visibility and movement due to all the gear. Hence the question. I would say that not considering this is like not considering that you'd have to fire your sidearm while inside your car.

Anyway, I'm surprised by the number of people who carry inside a motorcycle jacket pocket. I had not seriously considered that option.

BTW, I'm around Abington, you won't have seen me riding around as I just got my first bike. I think I've only waved to one other rider so far. Is there a PAFOA MC?

Thanks for the feedback.

(Montgomery County)

Not to go too far off topic, but what do you ride? My inlaws are out that way and sometimes I ride out there. There are a lot of nice twisties if you go North on 611 near Nockamixon or NW towards Green Lane.

After your post, I was thinking about a PAFOA CC/OC group ride.

(York County)

IWB 6:00, same as when I'm not riding.
    DGAF

(Chester County)

For my Nano it's an IWB at about 4 o'clock. No matter where I carry it on my body you have to be stopped in order to be able to use the firearm so as to hit what you're shooting at. Shooting from a moving motorcycle is pretty much tantamount to negligence. It would be different if you were a Mongol riding a horse shooting an arrow accurately. The horse maintains it's course even if your hands aren't on the handlebars. Keeping chunks of meat under your saddle to tenderize it is your choice though.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast