Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

View Poll Results: How are YOU carrying while riding?

Voters
83. You may not vote on this poll
  • Off body-Tank Bag/Backpack

3 3.61%
  • Shoulder Holster

4 4.82%
  • Drop Leg Holster

1 1.20%
  • Outside the Waistband > 3 o'clock

35 42.17%
  • Bike Mounted Holster

2 2.41%
  • Other

42 50.60%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    (Tioga County)

Default Re: Motorcycle Riders Only - Really, Don't Click if you Don't Ride

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferG View Post
    For my Nano it's an IWB at about 4 o'clock. No matter where I carry it on my body you have to be stopped in order to be able to use the firearm so as to hit what you're shooting at.
    Unless you are on the Walking Dead.
    MikeP

(Franklin County)

I only have a 50 cc scooter that I'm learning to ride, so trips are not far from home and are on lightly travelled roads. Im carrying a kimber micro 380 in my front pocket, because that's what i carry nearly 24/7.

(Dauphin County)

I ride a 2000 Honda Valkyrie 1500, when its not broken . I carry OWB with a Safariland holster, will have to look up the model number later, carrying the S&W M&P9. I carry OWB with this holster because it's a Level 2 holster with retention. Haven't made any compromises, and it's just my preferred method while riding. All other times when not on the bike I carry IWB with a Galco King Tuk.
    "Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things."- Marvin Heemeyer

(Dauphin County)

Just an FYI. This is a pretty decent video of shooting from a motorcycle.
    "Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things."- Marvin Heemeyer

I open carry OWB about 4-5 o' clock. When out and about on foot. Can always throw my shirt over it if I want to be discreet, but overall I don't care if people see it, and most people here don't care either. I have a second holster mounted to the bike. Once I get on the bike, gun goes from hip holster to bike. Soon as I get off, to go to a store or grab something to eat, gun transfers back to the hip and always stays with me. I don't like the idea of hitting the ground with a big hunk of metal strapped to my hip.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Nickel Plated View Post
    I open carry OWB about 4-5 o' clock. When out and about on foot. Can always throw my shirt over it if I want to be discreet, but overall I don't care if people see it, and most people here don't care either. I have a second holster mounted to the bike. Once I get on the bike, gun goes from hip holster to bike. Soon as I get off, to go to a store or grab something to eat, gun transfers back to the hip and always stays with me. I don't like the idea of hitting the ground with a big hunk of metal strapped to my hip.
    Carrying with the gun strapped to the bike carries with it the same problems as purse carry. You and your motorcycle or purse can be separated creating a whole new set of problems. I also always carry my ID and money/cc on my person while riding so they do not get separated from me. My purse with all the accessories gets thrown in the tail box so when I take my helmet off I can freshen up and look my best.

I've watched all of Paul Harrell's videos and the one on the motorcycle shows what I say about shooting accurately even going slowly to be true. It is very difficult to operate a motorcycle and shoot accurately so it's better to use the mobility advantage of the motorcycle to escape an attack rather than use a firearm while moving in in my opinion. In a last ditch defense position it may be better to use the former US Cavalry tactic of laying the steed down on the ground and shoot from behind it as cover. I think escape is the best option though.
    Last edited by JenniferG; July 15th, 2018 at 01:24 PM.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Clarion County)

Carry at 4, no illusion of firing when riding. Thread made me think of this. Last part of video same idea from horseback:
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

(York County)

This thread has inspired me to actually go check out a shoulder-holster. Something I've never tried / owned before.

I was on a bike-tour the last 4 days. I started with my typical IWB 6:00 (more like 5:30 really) holster. That serves fine for when I'm out and about, commuting, etc. But for day-long rides, it grew swiftly uncomfortable and I ended up stashing the gun in my saddlebags.

Then, stopping at a rural gas station, my dad got into an altercation with some local folks (on the way home from the PAFOA meet-up in fact). They seemed to feel he had "unfairly" pulled in to a pump they "owned" and took offense. They got pretty heated real fast. They got quite threatening real fast. It was surreal and unlike anything I ever thought I'd encounter.

It was resolved reasonably: We took the high road, apologized, moved the bike and let them use "their" pump. That chafed since it was total BS, but... the best option.

Yet it occurred to me that had it gone south and reason had not prevailed, I was in no way able to effectively access my pistol. Let's be clear: I could have had the pistol in my hand and we'd still have deferred. This was not about being gung-ho. BUT I definitely felt a dose of helpless knowing it would take me a long time to get my gun if needed.

The two options that seem workable to me for riding and comfort and accessibility are a shoulder-holster and bike-mounted. I've tried the 3:00 hip holster that many in the poll seem to favor, and that's no better. Helps that I am always wearing a jacket of some kind on a bike, so the necessary "overgarment" for a shoulder holster is always in place. I don't like bike-mounted for a few reasons... mainly that if I leave the bike, I need to figure out how to handle that. I'd rather have the pistol on me than on my bike.

So long story short: going to check out a shoulder-holster for very specific use on longer bike travels.
    Last edited by KCJones; July 15th, 2018 at 01:40 PM.
    DGAF

(Monroe County)

crap I clicked and I don't ride
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by KCJones View Post
    ......Then, stopping at a rural gas station, my dad got into an altercation with some local folks (on the way home from the PAFOA meet-up in fact). They seemed to feel he had "unfairly" pulled in to a pump they "owned" and took offense. They got pretty heated real fast. They got quite threatening real fast. It was surreal and unlike anything I ever thought I'd encounter....

Glad it worked out in the end
    exactly the reason why I bring freedom everywhere I legally can (even some places that I might not be legal) You just never know when you are going to run into a bad actor who refuses to be civil.
    Retired US Army
    NRA Life Member, GOA, USCCA
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity"

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast