Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Armstrong County)

Default De Lisle Carbine

Many years ago after reading about the De Lisle Commando carbine in a few different books, i was always intrigued by the weapon and the mish-mash of parts the British had on hand to create it.
    Plenty of info on the web for searching, but a quick run down of the original lay-out.
    No1 Mk3 Enfield host gun, Thompson sub-machine gun barrel modified and ported, modified 1911 magazine, Lanchester rear sight, and various other one-off made parts.
    Making it chambered in 45ACP, it allowed to use of factory ball ammo with it being already being sub sonic.

I picked up a pretty clean, probably too clean to chop it up, $200 No1 Mk3 at a gun show in West Virginia back in 2012 with this project in mind.
    There were one or two manufactures here in the US making replicas, some were pretty nice, some were down right middle-school shop class quality.
    I had heard Richard as Special Interest Arms was getting out of the De Lisle sales and he had a few small parts left over. After a quick email, i saved some time making some parts and just bought them from SIA.
    I picked up a mag well adapter, front and back cap for the suppressor tube, along with a ported 45cal blank barrel that I threaded and chambered later in the build. I also grabbed the alignment plate that the rod are threaded to and locked to the barrel spacers. The mag well is definitely not true to the original, but the original set-up required cutting the bolt in half and re-configuring it and the mag ran directly in front of the trigger guard. I took the easier way.

Factory gun, not my pic, random internet photo.
    Attachment 109051

Stripped the gun, cut the fore end and test fit the threaded and chambered barrel. Cut and threaded a few pieces of round stock for the rods.
    Fit the bottom metal to allow the mag well adapter.
    Sorry for the blurry pics, didnt realize it until now when i pulled them off my phone.

Next up, cut some stn stl and some aluminum baffle blanks on my wood CNC lol
    Not the most ideal way for the stn stl, but i was short a CNC laser.
    Made a half-ass forming block out of some 3/4 MDF.
    Used some aluminum tube and cut the spacers on the lathe.
    First 2 baffles are stn stl and the rest are aluminum. I may send the aluminum out for hard coat anodizing, but it is just a bolt gun.

Picked up a nice size chunk of American walnut at a show for the fore end.
    Made a test piece out of some MDF i glued together. Once i was happy with my program, i ran it on the walnut.
    1/2" end mill for most of the material removal, then a 1/4" ball end mill stepping down the radius and back up the other side.
    I had cut the channel about .015" under size. So I sanded and scraped and soot blackened the suppressor tube to get it fitted.

Couple cuts on the bandsaw...and lots and lots of hand filing it had a rough shape.
    Some more filing and sanding it was pretty close. You can see the one side of the "notch" was not even with the other. Had some time in making things look symmetrical, esp since this was such an odd shape to got by eye with out even a template, only pictures online and in a few books.

I also grabbed some new wood. I could not use brand new wood on the front and match it to 75-80 year old wood off the original stock set.
    Both the middle piece and the rear stock needed fitted and some inletting done as well.

I skipped over taking some pics for the suppressor tube. No idea why, probably just lazy.
    2" snt stl .040" wall 15" long. So it has some volume lol
    I took the rear sight to a local guy with a metal CNC to get him to cut a 1" radius on the bottom of the sight base to get it to lay on very even.
    Made the front sight base, same with the 1" radius for it as well. Silver soldered the parts on.
    Used the OE front sight post and took about .030" off the base of it to get the gun sighted in at 25yd.
    Then tig welded it to the sight base.

Made the metal band to cover the seam of the mid-section and the fore end from 22ga steel.
    Paper template, cardboard template, steel piece. The final one was my 3rd try. I still tweaked it a bit more after the picture to close up the small gap at the bottom.

Here it is.
    Black Cerakote on the suppressor tube.
    I blasted and parkerized the receiver, bottom metal, and bolt.
    Gave the butt-plate a good filing, sanding, and some scotch-bright to get the scratches and gouges out, but didnt want it a mirror polish.
    Sanded the wood to 400grit, steel wooled, then applied some Brownell's Vanderhave XII medium brown stain, steel wooled it again, and some Watco Danish oil to finish it off.

Probably one of the coolest projects ive ever done and one of the most quiet weapons i have. I need to shoot it beside a 308/300Blk bolt gun with subs.

HGW, llc ~ Title 1 & NFA sales/manufacturing ~ Transfers - Title 1 $20 - NFA $50

Default Re: De Lisle Carbine

Great work, especially on the wood.
    Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

(Tioga County)

Quite impressive to see. Doesn't look easy to put all that together.

(Armstrong County)

Thanks guys
    Wanted to share a 2+ year project with a good many built parts and buying as few things as i could.

It was not easy to do with out saying f' it and trying it out. Doesnt work, start over and dont do the same thing as last time.
    Its not like you can find info on putting an LPK in a lower lol
    HGW, llc ~ Title 1 & NFA sales/manufacturing ~ Transfers - Title 1 $20 - NFA $50

(Bucks County)

(Cumberland County)

Absolutely amazing ! Beyond impressed. Great job, thanks for sharing. Send me a pm on what you want for it
    "Tastefully Pimptastic"

(Armstrong County)

You dont want to know cruzans lol

(Berks County)

Extremely impressive Nate. I don't have the patience to attempt a project like that.

Beautiful.

(Allegheny County)

Mildly steampunk looking.

Massively awesome. Glad you got to finish it up!
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

You do excellent work and should be very proud. Its also nice to see you didn't put your wood chips in the alley.
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast