Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Looking for more practical experience. Anyone in the mood to share/teach?

Hey Gr1mfire here. I posted this in the rifles section too, I'm sorry if that's against the rules/frowned upon. Long story short, I'm a teacher on summer break right now, and I'd really like to get some more experience with firearms, specifically rifles (anything welcome though really), at this point in time. My collection so far consists of a handful of rimfire rifles and pistols, a full size 9mm, and a PSA AR15 I built myself from a kit. Unfortunately, living just north of Philadelphia, it's hard to shoot anywhere longer than 25 yards without becoming a member of a club or something. I'm fixing to try out my one nearby outdoor range, Wicen's, some day pretty soon.

As a teacher, I'm always looking to share knowledge of firearms, whether it's teaching or learning. I've only been seriously invested in this for a year and half or so now, though I've been practicing my whole life. I was hoping someone, or multiple people, might be willing to share their time, rigs, ranges, knowledge, and/or passion for shooting with me some time this summer. I'd be willing to come to you, or meet somewhere if you have a particularly great shooting spot you like. If you want to hang out and show off your mundane or exotic collection, shoot out to 500 yards, or just meet up for lunch and talk about guns, I'd be super interested. Of course, if we're shooting your stuff and you'd like, I can also reimburse you for your time, wear and tear, and ammo.

I look forward to any and all replies. Sorry if this is in the wrong place. Thanks for reading.
    I just love shooting.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Looking for more practical experience. Anyone in the mood to share/teach?

Your “passion” is safe here... we promise not to ‘out’ you to your coworkers.

There are likely numerous guys closer to you than me who can provide opportunities to ‘work out’ your hardware out past 25 yards. However, you should really be looking for a membership at a good private club where you can bond with other 2A kin and expand your repertoire.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Looking for more practical experience. Anyone in the mood to share/teach?

I'd suggest Bucks County Fish and Game in Doylestown for a home club. They're usually accepting new members. They have nice facilities, including a 100 yard rifle range.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by JAKIII View Post
    Your “passion” is safe here... we promise not to ‘out’ you to your coworkers.

There are likely numerous guys closer to you than me who can provide opportunities to ‘work out’ your hardware out past 25 yards. However, you should really be looking for a membership at a good private club where you can bond with other 2A kin and expand your repertoire.
    I'm actually fairly vocal about it with my teachers, and have a few that I'm trying to shoot with. Much appreciate it though! I went with the easy membership at my local range because it's close and I can shoot year round, but I should definitely look into a club too.

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    I'd suggest Bucks County Fish and Game in Doylestown for a home club. They're usually accepting new members. They have nice facilities, including a 100 yard rifle range.
    Thanks for the heads up, I will definitely check them out.
    I just love shooting.

(Allegheny County)

Go to a group shoot

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by DukeConnor View Post
    Go to a group shoot
    +1

This Saturday in Central PA a bit West of Williamsport
    Retired US Army
    NRA Life Member, GOA, USCCA
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity"

(Berks County)

I have sent a PM and the offer is extended to ride with two fat guys in a pickup with extended cab.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Montgomery County)

Talk to me at the group shoot this Saturday and we can see if I can help you out or point you in the right direction.
    If you can't make the shoot on Saturday then send me a PM and we can try to figure something out.
    Bern-
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

If you want to get some experience shooting handguns check out an IDPA match. People are really helpful and it's a great learning experience.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by DukeConnor View Post
    Go to a group shoot
    Quote Originally Posted by Parrisk View Post
    +1

This Saturday in Central PA a bit West of Williamsport
    Bingo

I see he already posted in the group shoot thread as well. Sorry just saw this. You can get an opportunity to shoot lots of different things all in one day, including some nfa stuff. I hope to see him there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast