Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Depriming brass

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Depriming brass

Quote Originally Posted by SIGFAN86 View Post
    For rifle, i deprime first with a lee decapping die, then tumble in walnut media
    I use one of those. I'll clean in a mild acid solution, rinse three times in clean water, air dry and tumble in plain walnut. I don't use a brightener because it might damage the dies.

I prime using a hand primer.

(Lycoming County)

I deprime with an rcbs decapping die, then tumble.

(Allegheny County)

I dry tumble, wipe off any dust/ residue by hand and deprime / resize with RCBS resizing decapping die.

I have about 50 .44 cases I shot today, tumbling as I type.
    I threw about 30 or 40 762x51s in there as well.

Rock Chucker still. Ha.
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Somerset County)

For handgun ammo, I resize/deprime with the appropriate sizing die, prime on RCBS hand tool and reload. Rifle ammo gets deprimed/resized with the appropriate sizing die and then tossed in the tumbler to get rid of the case lube, reprime with the hand tool and reload.

Dale

(Allegheny County)

I guess I'm lazy. I dry tumble .223 with ground walnut used for reptile beds: https://www.chewy.com/zilla-ground-e..._content=Zilla

I leave the dust on the cases and spray them with sizing lube, let it dry for 5 minutes, and then run them through a RCBS 550B that de-cap/sizes/primes, then powder charge, then bullet seat, then crimp.
    I don't clean any walnut/lube residue off the cases afterwards. I've been doing it this way for at least 5 years and 1,000's of rounds without any negative effects to equipment, firearms, or accuracy.
    Last edited by Hawk; July 9th, 2018 at 09:39 AM.
    Toujours prêt

(Delaware County)

I dry tumble my .45 ACP in corn cob, then feed it into my Lee Pro 1000. First station deprimes and resizes. Primer gets inserted as the case moves into 2nd station. Second station flares and drops powder. Third station seats and crimps.

Been doing it this way for 4 years. No issues that can't be tied to (my) human error.

I once acquired cleaned brass from elsewhere, and noticed that my brass coming out of the corn media slid into my dies more smoothly - perhaps some microscopic amount of corn oil is left behind?

(Montgomery County)

I deprime all of my brass with a Lee Universal Decapping tool, https://leeprecision.com/decapping-die.html. Then I clean all of my brass. I resize all of my rifle cases on my new MEC Marksman Press. Then I clean off the lube in Corn Cob. After removing the lube I trim the 556, 7.62x51 and 30-06 on my Giraud Power Case Trimmer. All other cases are trimmed on a hand operated trimmer. Then I reload them on my 650s or my MEC Marksman.

I prefer resizing and trimming my rifle brass before loading them in my 650s. I usually put my Lee Decapping tool in my 650s to make sure any corn cob particles that maybe stuck in the flash hole are pushed out by the decapping tool.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12