Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What's it worth?

A family friend passed away recently. He had a decent size gun collection that his wife and son would like to sell, so I'm helping them figure out the value of the guns so that they can be listed for sale. I've got a fairly good idea of the value on most, but there are three that I'm not quite sure about.

The first is a Colt 1911 that's marked "Custom 1 of 1000". It appears to be a series 80 MK IV with some extra bells and whistles. From what I can tell, Colt made a bunch of different "1 of 1000" runs, so I don't know how much value this would have over any other Colt 1911.

Next up is a Desert Eagle in .357 mag. I know very little about these things other than I want an L5 if for no other reason than to shoot USPSA, lol. I've seen these listed online for as little as $900 and some close to $2000. Anybody know what these typically SELL for?

Last up is a Colt Anaconda 4" in 44 mag. I see these on GB for $2k+, but can't tell if they're selling for that much. Are these really the big ticket items that people are trying to sell them for?

We're trying to get the most money for his family as possible, but I want to set their expectations accordingly. Any advice would be helpful and appreciated.

(Adams County)

Default Re: What's it worth?

Nice ... I've got a crisp $100 bill ready to hand over for that Anaconda. Sorry, can't help with prices.

(Bucks County)

Find a local shop to list them on Gunbroker. Tanner's in Jamison does in for a 15% fee. They have a HUGE following on there, they're a Top 25 seller. https://www.gunbroker.com/search?Sor...Sellers=250902
    Tact is just not saying true stuff. I'll pass.

(Lehigh County)

First: sign up for Gunbroker if you have not already
    Second: sign into GB and go to 'advanced search' and click on the 'Completed Sales' tab (need to be signed in to do this)
    Third: Make sure you sort the search by: Highest Number of Bids First (this gets you items that actually got bids and likely sold)
    Forth: Be aware that any auctions, even with bids, that Have a Reserve may not be completed sales, so check that these are actual sales before considering them.
    Five: Have at it!

One more tip, try to avoid being overly specific on your description to get the maximum results. For example 'Anaconda 4' got 90 hits with 16 that actually sold anywhere from $1965 to $3207. You can compare these with the one you have as to box, papers, condition etc. to see how it ranks. Good luck.

For example 'Desert Eagle in .357mag' got 344 hits with 17 that actually sold anywhere from $910 to $1800 (NIB). You can compare these with the one you have as to box, papers, condition etc. to see how it ranks. Good luck.
    Last edited by gghbi; July 6th, 2018 at 11:20 AM.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Berks County)

^^^^^ that method has worked for me in the past and remember that when dealing on GB there are fees associated with it that somebody has to pay so your net value could be a little different on a face to face sale.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

Thanks for the advice, all. The family would like to get as much for them as possible to help cover expenses, so they want to avoid using an auction site or going through a shop. Initially, I'm going to list the entire collection in the classifieds here for them and see what bites they get. The next step after that will be to try GB or consignment.

(Beaver County)

I also agree that Gunbroker is a great start ... more work because somebody has to take pictures and list. Then you have to find an FFL to ship or an FFL that will accept a shipment from private individual (not always the easiest task). If you use GB to help with values but sell local keep in mind different parts of country values will vary for same piece. Good luck to the family and good karma on you for helping in time of need.

Not that it helps with this family BUT I have all my firearms valued and listed hard copy in safe and also on CD with pictures, SN's, purchase price, value etc. My wife would be "lost" trying to sort it all out.

Good luck and RIP
    If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    Thanks for the advice, all. The family would like to get as much for them as possible to help cover expenses, so they want to avoid using an auction site or going through a shop. Initially, I'm going to list the entire collection in the classifieds here for them and see what bites they get. The next step after that will be to try GB or consignment.
    This is a good start. We have an audience of gun enthusiasts and some even have money. Hopefully the picture issue will get fixed soon, as a few decent pics are a huge help in generating interest.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Bucks County)

The Desert Eagle value depends mostly on the finish. The standard blue finish would bring about 800 bucks while some of the fancier finishes like polished chrome might bring about 1200. If the DE is a older model manufactured in Israel it might bring a bit more to the right buyer. The prices I quoted are from what I've seen used DE sell for at places like Tanners. I don't know the value of the 1911 but you can contact Colt, provide them the serial number and Colt should be able to provide the gun's history which should aid you in determining its value. As others have already stated gunbroker is a good place to start to figure out fair market value. The condition of each gun will effect value as well as if the box, owners manual and all factory accessories that came with the guns are available.

(Berks County)

And apparently they're worth more if you classify them as 'vintage' in the ads.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast