Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Insurance coverage for gun collection?

I just inherited my father's gun collection. Just brought them back from out of state with his safe. After calling my home owners insurance carrier they want a list of guns and serial numbers for them to cover them under my policy. It is a sizable collection and needs to be covered. My question to you is would you give them a copy of the list of guns and serial numbers? Im very hesitant to do this as I dont like people even knowing I keep guns in the house. What do you think?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Insurance coverage for gun collection?

Most homeowners policies are limited on covering firearms. Are they offering complete coverage or are they asking for a list first before they quote a price?

Check these guys out. They don't ask for a list or serial numbers. Free instant quote on line. You just tell them what dollar amount you want. BTW, they also cover the guns if in your car or at the range.

https://collectinsure.com/?msclkid=4...llect%20Insure
    Toujours prêt

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Most homeowners policies are limited on covering firearms. Are they offering complete coverage or are they asking for a list first before they quote a price?

Check these guys out. They don't ask for a list or serial numbers. Free instant quote on line. You just tell them what dollar amount you want. BTW, they also cover the guns if in your car or at the range.

https://collectinsure.com/?msclkid=4...llect%20Insure
    I just checked them out. They are cheaper than my insurance company by $100 a year. I will keep them in mind.

(Franklin County)

I've had policies and additional riders (to cover beyond limit included with 'standard' policy) with more than one traditional insurer, and have never had to give specifics in exchange for coverage. As with all your belongings, having as much documentation as possible was advised to have in case of a claim, but never had to be provided at the outset.

(Montgomery County)

NRA arms care insurance doesn't require serial numbers, just a dollar amount, but I've never seen feedback from someone who had to file a claim.

(Lancaster County)

you can up your overall coverage to make up the difference the only thing you will need to do is find a way to document what you own in the event of an incident, I suggest you photo (either electronically or not your call) all the firearms and their respective serial numbers (if they have them) then make a coordinating list. Keep tht info safe elsewhere and then up your coverage to cover the total value of the guns.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by HKusp 45 View Post
    you can up your overall coverage to make up the difference
    It's probably not wise to assume this is true. Caps on specific classes of property are common (jewelry is another commonly capped item), and a larger overall max coverage amount does not necessarily equate to larger caps on items that are considered 'high value' and have built in limits. It's best to ask exactly what categories have limits, and what they are. It may actually be more financially practical to add a 'rider' for a particular property group rather than pay for a larger overall umbrella that isn't really needed.

The bottom line is to be informed on what limits apply and make sure you understand the policy as written. ASK for details you aren't sure about. Don't assume and then be upset when a claim isn't paid out the way you thought it would be.

(Berks County)

I don't know how it's done but if I was the insurer I'd want to know exactly what was being insured and evidence that you had it before I paid a claim.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Franklin County)

You definitely need some documentation when making a claim for replacement, but you don't need specific details to get a policy.

It probably works like this because insurance, by definition, is a 'just in case' measure which most folks won't ever use, so they may want to see a receipt of you claim your big screen TV was stolen or burned up, but don't expect you to bring in the serial number for it when you initiate the policy. No need for a bunch of extra work on your end, and tons of documentation for them to store on their end, for probably no good reason.

Quote Originally Posted by HKusp 45 View Post
    you can up your overall coverage to make up the difference the only thing you will need to do is find a way to document what you own in the event of an incident, I suggest you photo (either electronically or not your call) all the firearms and their respective serial numbers (if they have them) then make a coordinating list. Keep tht info safe elsewhere and then up your coverage to cover the total value of the guns.
    Ive done this with every gun I own. Photo, make , model and serial number. As well as scopes make and model number. I have it in a wordd ddocument on my computer and I emailed it to myself and saved it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast