Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Insurance coverage for gun collection?

I second Collectibles Insurance Co. I've had them for several years and have been happy. Never had to file a claim, but I did this research a few years back and they came back with positive recommendations for most everyone I talked to. I keep a list of my guns(+scopes), serial numbers, photographs, values, etc... You don't need to provide it to them, but I believe that you do need to have it when filing a claim.

The nice thing is that they also cover optics, accessories, and I believe even ammo. As stated, they also cover you outside of the home. I've heard very negative things about the NRA plans in terms of filing claims. Collectibles was also FAR cheaper than adding to my homeowners policy. My home owners is capped at $5k for guns, jewelry, etc... combined.

I should add that none of my guns are irreplaceable so I prefer insurance to safes in that aspect. I don't trust guns safes to offer any real protection unless you are spending big $$$. IMO a safe is good for offering protection against common burglars, and unauthorized access by children, but I don't particularly depend on them for fire or water damage protection.
    Last edited by Marcus99; July 5th, 2018 at 08:46 PM.

I called my home owners insurance company. They told me any one item over 3K needed a rider. For the extra cost I decided against a rider. Two guns in my collection are worth more than that. I decided better fire and theft protection storage was a better option.

Sentimental value cant really be insured, no matter how important the item is. They are not all gun related.
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

I have pretty much decided im not going to go with my home owners insurance for coverage. I spoke to a police officer friend of mine lastnight and he agreed that he wouldnt give them a list either. Im going to do more research this weekend online for a company. I will do some kind of coverage as Its a big collection. They are very sentimental to me , but they are also a financial investment as far as im concerned.

Have you considered multiple levels of protection? Burglar and fire alarms, added fire protection to the storage area, an alert dog. A dog doesn't need to be mean to be alert. You don't want Kate getting bit
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    It's probably not wise to assume this is true. Caps on specific classes of property are common (jewelry is another commonly capped item), and a larger overall max coverage amount does not necessarily equate to larger caps on items that are considered 'high value' and have built in limits. It's best to ask exactly what categories have limits, and what they are. It may actually be more financially practical to add a 'rider' for a particular property group rather than pay for a larger overall umbrella that isn't really needed.

The bottom line is to be informed on what limits apply and make sure you understand the policy as written. ASK for details you aren't sure about. Don't assume and then be upset when a claim isn't paid out the way you thought it would be.
    You can one need to talk to their agent I did with mine and essentially your increasing the overall amount your covered for, so for example you may have contents coverage of $20k you can increase it as needed for a higher monthly premium. The one aspect is the documentation you have to be able to support a claim you don;t have to hand over a list but if the time comes you need proof as that is ones responsibility towards the claim.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12