Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: NRA LE Division is NOT Constable Friendly!

Having criminal investigation experience IS NOT A REQUIREMENT to meet the LEOSA standard. From statkowsi’s post those officers would qualify as it appears they meet the LEOSA standard.

Quote Originally Posted by WCMG View Post
    , but I also was fortunate to meet and associate with other constables that have previous LE experience.

Going to nitpick here because this sentence rubs me the wrong way. Basically, what the OP is saying unless you are an EX-LEO, you're a wannabe cop playing constable who he would not want to be associated with. I'm a certified constable, fairly new at 3-years in office, who had no previous LEO experience. Most constables I know do not have previous LEO experience and are professional, hard-working, ethical people who provide a valuable service to the PA Courts 40+ hours a week. Like any job, we have our idiots, but the sly comment that only ex-LEO's make good constables is the elitest altitude that constables have to deal with all the time from active LEO agencys in PA, just irritates me to hear it from a constable.
    WCMG,

I’m not looking to diminish the Constable position, service or professionalism, as I understand their value to the court system. I believe the push back from LE comes from the fact, that in No Way, does a Constable’s training match that of certified Police Officers and Sheriffs across the country. Those standards are set and universally are 6 monThs or more in length. I also believe that is why LEO’s give more credance to ex- LEO’s, who become constables, than those who were never LEO’s. Just my 2 cents. I have no dog in the fight or argument. Just an LEO, with no intention of being a constable, but realize their value and respect their service.

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by 1911Operator View Post
    Having criminal investigation experience IS NOT A REQUIREMENT to meet the LEOSA standard.
    "Experience" is not a requirement, but "authorized by law" is. Sheriffs are not authorized by law to conduct investigations. Constables, on the other hand, are authorized to conduct investigations (skip tracing, for example).

Pennsylvania's situation with sheriffs and constables is unique and is unlike the rest of the country, thus outsiders get confused, including the NRA.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123