Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What do you think of this shooting?

This takes place in Jamaica. A civilian who is licensed to carry is having words with some security guards. Another security guard attacks him from behind and wrestles him to the ground. The civilian shoots the security guard. Obviously we do not see the whole story, but based on what we see, if this happened in America, would you consider it a valid self defense shooting.

The video is at the link. It is not YouTube so I am not sure how to put the video in the post.

http://www.loopjamaica.com/content/p...d-new-kingston

Police probe videotaped shooting of 'security guard' in New Kingston
    Loop NewsCreated : 3 July 2018

Police are probing the shooting of a man, believed to be a security guard, by a licensed firearm holder on the compound of an apartment complex in New Kingston on Monday.

Detectives from the Half Way Tree Police Station told Loop News that they are now collecting statements and are looking at video footage from a number of cameras that captured the incident, which occurred about 6pm on the Braemar Avenue compound.

The video footage of the incident shows the licensed firearm holder engaged in a heated discussion with uniformed security officers about entering the property, before being attacked from behind by a man in civilian clothing said to be a security guard for the complex.

A struggle ensued between the two men and a shot was subsequently fired, hitting the alleged security guard in the neck.

The injured man was rushed to the University Hospital of the West Indies, where he was admitted in stable condition.

The licensed firearm of the shooter was seized for ballistic testing.

(Chester County)

Default Re: What do you think of this shooting?

The security officers were liked attempting to apprehend/detain the individual and may have roughed him up in the process. However, certainly no reason to fear for one’s life, (i.e., draw and discharge ​a firearm on said officers).

Not enough information provided. However on face value, how was the licensed carrier able to know the "plain clothes" guard was in fact a security guard?

(Allegheny County)

Opinion: Blue shirt was reckless and caused his own injury. Why the LC had his gun drawn and no one else did is curious, maybe the guards thought he was not a threat? It looked like the guards had holstered pistols.

(Montgomery County)

I'm not sure I would want to live in an apartment complex that has riot police as security. Although I must say, aside from kicking and slapping the guy, they showed a great deal of self control. In an American city, that guy would have been well ventilated when he pulled his gun.

Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

Jamaica is yet another country with strict gun control laws AND lots of violence. Pretty much everything that occurred before the guy was restrained/detained was peculiar and didnt appear to make sense. He was in imminent danger of restraint, but did not appear to be.in imminent danger of dearh.

(Berks County)

Good shoot.
    Let's not forget there are still species of tropical penguins living in the Galapagos.

It brings up questions. Obviously we don’t have the whole story. But based on what we see......

1. A group of security guards are confronting the guy
    2. He gets attacked from the back. I don’t know if he could know who the guy is
    3. He is on the ground being punched. A lot of people may say this does not put him in danger of his life, but I can’t help but think of stories like this on from yesterday where a person trying to help someone else out was punched and died. http://www.delcotimes.com/general-ne...sing-his-death
    4. These are security guards, not the police. Would an American have a duty to lay down and obey security guards under any situation? Is there a legal difference between security and a gang in this case if you are attacked from behind and then ganged up on?

Without knowing the whole story and just going based on the situation is in the video, I can see how the guy could fear for his life.

I am glad we are getting different viewpoints. You never know what situation you might find yourself in. It’s interesting seeing how others view this and how a DA or jurors might view something like this.

(Montgomery County)

This is a more detailed video that runs about 8 minutes.
    It's worth the look.
    Bern-
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

Quote Originally Posted by Berncly View Post

This is a more detailed video that runs about 8 minutes.
    It's worth the look.
    Bern-
    That’s a crazy video. Looked liked the shooter had a hammer at one point. Don’t know why. Seemed like one of the guards fired her gun early in the video. At the time of the shooting it seemed like the shooter would not shut up and the one guard attacked him from behind and then when he got the shooter on the ground the shooter shot him.

Glad I don’t have to sort out what was going on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast