Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Wayne County)

Default Need advice on a concealed carry pistol

The only pistol i have right now is the Beretta 92FS. I tried carrying a few times and it was uncomfortable. While on foot it felt very heavy, when I get in the car I have to sit more to the left (I carry at the 3 o clock position) and the handle digs into the seat. I'd like a pistol for everyday conceal carry that has an external manual safety and preferably double action/single action like the Beretta 92FS. I was thinking about the FNX 9 in 9mm or another Beretta 92 but the compact inox one. I was also looking at the Glock 19 gen 5 but that doesn't have a manual safety. I feel more comfortable carrying one in the chamber if the gun has an external manual safety. What would you recommend?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Need advice on a concealed carry pistol

Quote Originally Posted by Will3212 View Post
    The only pistol i have right now is the Beretta 92FS. I tried carrying a few times and it was uncomfortable. While on foot it felt very heavy, when I get in the car I have to sit more to the left (I carry at the 3 o clock position) and the handle digs into the seat. I'd like a pistol for everyday conceal carry that has an external manual safety and preferably double action/single action like the Beretta 92FS. I was thinking about the FNX 9 in 9mm or another Beretta 92 but the compact inox one. I was also looking at the Glock 19 gen 5 but that doesn't have a manual safety. I feel more comfortable carrying one in the chamber if the gun has an external manual safety. What would you recommend?
    I like my HK USP Compact. Mine is actually no safety + LEM trigger, but most come V1 DA/SA with safety and decocker.

Mid range compact pistol, i can recommend the following:
    1. Walther p99 compact 9mm- 10+1 capacity (my favorite)
    2. Sig sauer p320 sub compact- 10+1 capacity

Small compact
    1. Walther pps m2- 7+1 capacity
    2. Sw shield- 7+1 capacity
    Sub compact
    1. Kahr pm9- 6+1 capacity

(Philadelphia County)

CZ 2075 RAMI is a great sub-compact 9 with:
    -Second strike capability SA/DA trigger.
    -Thumb safety or Decocker variants
    -with added safety of fp block
    -10+1 or 14+1 mag options.

Also comes in .40 SW with lower mag capacities.
    Last edited by Boris Badinov; July 3rd, 2018 at 07:43 PM.

(Allegheny County)

In my mind da/sa with a safety is a little redundant. I used to carry my makarov that was like that. I’ve come to like my striker fired pistols. Nice consistent trigger pull.

If you want light and comfortable but still with a safety, the shield and lc9s are two good ones. I’m wearing my lc9s right now and it’s very comfortable. I’ve worked in it all day. I think the Ruger is about 17 ounces, my airweight snubby is 15. Very lightweight. A good holster makes carrying a lot easier as well. I also carry at 3:00. Another thing I’ve changed is I always wear an undershirt and that is between the gun/holster and me.

(York County)

Ruger EC9S

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

No offense, and forgive me if I'm wrong, but you may be limiting your options from lack of training and experience. If you don't know them by heart, learn Jeff Cooper's safety rules and follow them obsessively. Take a 2-day pistol course with a good instructor, not just a random few-hour introductory class. Get yourself a good, solid gun belt and a high-quality holster that's made for that model gun, not a generic holster. Start carrying what you have. If 3:00 doesn't work, try 4:00 - an inch one way or another can make a big difference. Get out and practice. Do all of these things, and you might rethink your criteria for a carry gun.

If you do stick with DA/SA, do you really need an external safety? I've got a Sig P226 and a P229, and I consider the heavier double-action pull as the safety. I also started with an 92FS, but I didn't like the slide-mounted safety/decocker.

Cool Re: Need advice on a concealed carry pistol

Glock 43 or Glock 19,In the car on long trips I wear a Desantis SKYCOP crossdraw for my G-19,Glock 43 in a IWB appendix !

(Elk County)

Not a recommendation as you have be comfortable carrying and using along with proficient with your weapon.
    Preferences for myself.... Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II and Sig C3 when dressed in light clothing Sig P238.

(Allegheny County)

The only pistol i have right now is the Beretta 92FS. ------
    ----- I feel more comfortable carrying one in the chamber if the gun has an external manual safety. What would you recommend?
    Addressing the above, take a look at the Walther PPK/s; it has the same slide mounted safety/de-cocking lever as your Beretta (except that it is not ambi).

My first year as a LEO, I carried my own Beretta 92FC. My off-duty guns were a S&W 6906 and a Walther PPK/s. All of the guns had the same safety/de-cocking lever.

I'm not saying that it is the best system, or my preferred system; I am just suggesting staying with the same operating system for your carry guns.

Good luck on your choice and as some others have mentioned, a training class or 2 or 3 goes a long way.
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast