Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Wayne County)

Default Re: Need advice on a concealed carry pistol

Quote Originally Posted by Orive 8 View Post
    Addressing the above, take a look at the Walther PPK/s; it has the same slide mounted safety/de-cocking lever as your Beretta (except that it is not ambi).

My first year as a LEO, I carried my own Beretta 92FC. My off-duty guns were a S&W 6906 and a Walther PPK/s. All of the guns had the same safety/de-cocking lever.

I'm not saying that it is the best system, or my preferred system; I am just suggesting staying with the same operating system for your carry guns.

Good luck on your choice and as some others have mentioned, a training class or 2 or 3 goes a long way.
    I'll check it out, thanks for the advice. What do you think of the FNX 9 by FN Herstal?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Will3212 View Post
    I'll check it out, thanks for the advice. What do you think of the FNX 9 by FN Herstal?
    I've got an FNX45 Tactical. Good shooting gun. I would imagine that the FNX9 is still a bit big to conceal though. You also will want to try out the gun before you buy it. The grip texture is very aggressive, too aggressive for some.

I definitely would agree with picking either a safety or a decocker if you go DA/SA though. There's no reason to have the gun decocked AND have a safety on. Either do decocked and no safety or cocked and safety.

The FNX has both in a similar manner to the USP V1. Flip the lever up for safe. Down to the middle position for fire. All the way down to decock (returns to fire). The problem with this is that, if you're a cocked and locked kinda guy, you can easily overshoot the "fire" position if you're enthusiastic while disengaging the safety, giving you a double action shot instead of single. And during firing, it's possible (not likely, but still possible) to bump the safety on under recoil. 1911 guys traditionally ride the safety to prevent this from happening, but then you run into the potential of accidentally decocking the gun under recoil instead.

I converted my all of my defensive USPs to V3 (decock only), and I'm not looking back.

(Bucks County)

Last edited by carwash; July 4th, 2018 at 04:20 PM.
    Tact is just not saying true stuff. I'll pass.

(Susquehanna County)

Asking here you'll only receive answers about what each member likes or would consider for himself. Go to a rental range and rent and try several different brands and types of mid-size to ultra-compact pistol and revolvers and choose the one that fits your hand
    waistline and wallet and that you can shoot most accurately as your carry piece.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Allegheny County)

What do you think of the FNX 9 by FN Herstal?
    No experience with the FN pistols, but they appear to have frame mounted safety/de-cockers. These are different from the slide mounted safety/de-cocker that your Beretta has. I am a big believer that one's carry guns should operate the same... the individual will need to determine what system he/she likes or is best suited for their needs.

Again, my recommendation was strictly based on the fact that you are already carrying/using a slide mounted safety/de-cocker.

Good luck with your choice.
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

(Luzerne County)

Rohrbaugh 9mm.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post
    Asking here you'll only receive answers about what each member likes or would consider for himself. Go to a rental range and rent and try several different brands and types of mid-size to ultra-compact pistol and revolvers and choose the one that fits your hand
    waistline and wallet and that you can shoot most accurately as your carry piece.
    What he said. However, knowing what other people like and why can narrow your search down considerably. For ultra concealment / low risk and need to know only environment, I go with either of my Kel-Tecs (p32 or P38T - I know, not what you're after, but very concealable and long trigger pull for safety) Preferred carry is a cocked and locked 1911 - for me, it's slim enough to easily conceal, and I really don't care if it prints when I'm wearing it.

Cb
    Cb Μολὼν λαβέ

(Montgomery County)

Most people, myself included, wouldn't consider carrying a gun with manual safety except the 1911 mafia. But if you must CZ rami will do it. Or just get a glock. For what it's worth my very first gun 15 years ago was a beretta 92 that i also tried to carry. 2 months of lugging around that boat anchor was enough, then I bought a Glock 26 and still carry it all the time.

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Orive 8 View Post
    No experience with the FN pistols, but they appear to have frame mounted safety/de-cockers. These are different from the slide mounted safety/de-cocker that your Beretta has. I am a big believer that one's carry guns should operate the same... the individual will need to determine what system he/she likes or is best suited for their needs.

Again, my recommendation was strictly based on the fact that you are already carrying/using a slide mounted safety/de-cocker.

Good luck with your choice.
    The Walther PPK comes in 9mm or just .380?

Did anyone say Glock yet?
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast