Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Did this woman make the story up?

When reading articles I always look out for things that might indicate how much faith I should put in the article. I was reading this story and it seemed okay until she started talking about couple of people running him off the road because he had an Anita Hill for president bumper sticker. She then said “I opened my glove compartment, took out my Glock 17, and flipped off the safety”

As far as I know Glock 17’s never had a safety that could be flipped off. So is the lady lying? Does this throw her whole story into question? What do you think?

And have you ever had a person tell you something about guns that you knew was not true and made you realize they were full of shit?

https://www.sfchronicle.com/opinion/...r-13045074.php

When I was the editor of the Oakland Tribune back in the 1990s, I kept a loaded Glock in my top drawer.

I take issue with the blanket news reports that the shooting at the Capital Gazette in Annapolis, Md., which killed four journalists and an employee, was a “surprise,” “a shock.” Newspapers in the ’90s didn’t have large budgets for security. Many today don’t have a check-in desk. At The Chronicle, there is at least a security person at the entrances, sitting behind a desk where visitors sign in. Not exactly Fort Knox, but it is something.

Newspapers and reporters — even photographers — receive threats all the time. Every day, there is someone out there unhappy with the coverage, either about an issue for which they have passion, or coverage of themselves or someone in their family. Newspapers get letters, phone calls. Nowadays, the threats come through social media.

I had come to Oakland from Texas, where having guns was part of the culture. When you go to a church or a bar in Texas, you usually see a sign saying “Leave your guns outside.” I bought mine at a gun show, with no background check, just cash on the barrel, so to speak. I took a gun safety class and started to target-shoot for a hobby. I got pretty good. Eventually, I became an instructor in gun safety and taught classes on weekends.

In Houston, I worked a night shift at the Houston Post, getting off work at 2 a.m. I had a long walk through a large, dark parking lot, so I carried a Taser in my hand, the strap around my wrist, until I got to my car and locked the doors.

One night, on my way home, a pickup truck rammed me from behind on Interstate 45. At the time, Clarence Thomas was being vetted for Supreme Court justice, and his former employee Anita Hill accused him of sexual harassment — at one point, she testified, he gave her a can of Coca-Cola that had a pubic hair on it. As a joke, I put an “Anita Hill for President” bumper sticker on my car.

I thought the ramming was an accident. I didn’t think there was any damage. It was 2:15 a.m. and I just wanted to get home. But then, the truck sped up and rammed me harder. An exit came up, and I took it. The pickup followed me and rammed me again. I pulled over.

It dawned on me that whoever was behind me must not have liked my bumper sticker. Two guys got out of the pickup, and in the rearview mirror, I watched them marching up to my car.

I opened my glove compartment, took out my Glock 17, and flipped off the safety. It was the first time it had ever come out of the glove compartment for any reason other than target practice. I rolled down the driver’s window and held the gun in front of my chest in both hands, as I’d been taught. I was the first to speak.

“May I help you gentlemen with anything?” I asked.

This was not was they had expected. They paused, then they saw the gun. I’ve not seen many men run faster since.

I am not a huge fan of gun ownership. But when I got to the Tribune, and as editor heard firsthand the plethora of complaints and threats that came over the transom every week, and without a single barrier between the newsroom and the street, I brought the Glock to work.

Word got around, and one day the deputy managing editor came in and asked to see it. “You are an idiot,” I told him. “It’s not a display item.”

President Trump started fanning the flames against the media before he even stepped into office, and I can’t help but suspect that his rhetoric might have goaded Jarrod Ramos into walking into the Gazette’s offices with a pump-action shotgun.

It’s a tired argument, “If only someone would have had a gun, they might have stopped it.” But in this case, maybe they would be right.

I certainly would have tried
    Last edited by internet troll; July 3rd, 2018 at 12:39 AM.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Did this woman make the story up?

That's the Glock 17 that was in the opening episode of TWD, what's the problem?
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Montgomery County)

Retrofitted cominolli safety? Doubt it, probably just another full of shit anti gun poser.

The fact that she likes to fantasize that this was fueled by the words of the president when this guy had a long history with the paper and a clear motive makes her an untrustworthy pile of vomit.

She's 100% full of shit and people who aren't "fans of gun ownership" don't own guns, they are also the ones who don't know shit about them like the fact that until military version of the G19x there isn't a Glock that has an external safety.

Maybe this teller of lies borrowed the only factory produced G17 with a manual safety made in 1982 from the Firearms museum it sits in over in Leeds England?

https://www.forgottenweapons.com/thumb-safety-glock/
    Last edited by Hodgie; July 3rd, 2018 at 12:14 AM.

(Lancaster County)

The author.

Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    The author.

Why am I not surprised?

(Montgomery County)

I'm not even sure what the point of the story is supposed to be?
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

Quote Originally Posted by Berncly View Post
    It is all over the place, but ultimately I think her point was that even though she is not a big fan of gun ownership, it is okay for her to have a gun and has come in handy. And that if someone in the newsroom last week had a gun, it could have made a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    The author.

Nuff said.

Quote Originally Posted by Berncly View Post
    Like most ultra liberal trash it doesn’t have one. So she added in a little president bashing, some made up story about right wing nuts and a bumper sticker. Then added in a touch of demonizing firearms except for the good upstanding people of the press of course because of their dangerous job, and we all know how invaluable they all are.

Basically the ramblings of some low self esteem feminist who believes herself to be a hero with access to a keyboard and a online newspaper.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast