Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Blair County)

Default Arizona Drivers License - "NOT FOR FEDERAL IDENTIFICATION" ?

I have an FFL as well as a PA License to Sell. I reside in PA. I was contacted by a PA resident and asked to receive a firearm that he had purchased via the Internet. I have done this hundreds of times. I explained that I would Email a copy of my FFL either to the seller or his selected Dealer. I also explained that I would receive a firearm from a non-licensee but would require a copy of the sellers Drivers License. I received the firearm (Ruger LCP) from the seller, BUT, the License was prominently marked "NOT FOR FEDERAL IDENTIFICATION". This was not a rubber stamp nor was it hand written, but part of the printing on the License. Except for this disclaimer the License meets all the requirements of the required ID.
    What to do?
    Thanks
    Steve

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Arizona Drivers License - "NOT FOR FEDERAL IDENTIFICATION" ?

I'm speculating, so don't take this as fact.
    Some states like CA have been providing drivers licenses to illegal aliens.
    I think they are required to mark the licenses so they cannot be used to claim citizenship for voting and other things.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Montgomery County)

Also could be part of the REAL ID law?

It's that b.s. law that states must update licenses to federal specs to board planes etc.

(Lancaster County)

It's got to do with the real ID law , I have zero Idea but I know based on the ATF rules it is not actually mentioned as a requirement. Your best bet call the ATF and ask then get some sort of written confirmation or at minimum a place were you can print out the information directly from them.

Here's all I could find

Guy in a similar situation called the ATF

http://www.theprgclub.org/NonCompliant_vs_RealID.html

Here's the ATF info I found referencing the requirements

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/what...sferee-firearm

(or read it below)
    What form of identification must a licensee obtain from a transferee of a firearm?
    The identification document presented by the transferee must have a photograph of the transferee, as well as the transferee’s name, residence address, and date of birth. The identification document must also be valid (e.g., unexpired) and have been issued by a governmental entity for the purpose of identification of individuals. An example of an acceptable identification document is a current driver’s license.

A combination of government issued documents may be used to meet the requirements of an identification document. For example, a passport which contains the name, date of birth, and photograph of the holder may be combined with a voter or vehicle registration card containing the residence address of the transferee in order to comply with the identification document requirements. A passport issued by a foreign government is also acceptable so long as it has all of the required information.

Whether a hunting license or permit issued by a retailer meets the definition of an identification document is State law specific. This license or permit meets the definition of an identification document if the State in which the retailer is located has authorized the retailer to supply State issued documents. If the State recognizes the hunting license or permit as government issued, then this license or permit would qualify as being government issued for the purposes of supplementing another government issued identification document.

A description of the location of the residence on an identification document, such as a rural route, is sufficient to constitute a residence address provided the purchaser resides in a State or locality where it is considered to be a legal residence address.

[18 U.S.C. 922(t); 27 CFR 478.11 and 478.124]

Bottom line when in doubt do your homework, My 2 cents (and I'm not giving advice but I'm also not a lawyer ) call the atf , verify their position, get it in writing.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Berncly View Post
    I'm speculating, so don't take this as fact.
    Some states like CA have been providing drivers licenses to illegal aliens.
    I think they are required to mark the licenses so they cannot be used to claim citizenship for voting and other things.
    your not speculating it's happening regularly

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by HKusp 45 View Post
    your not speculating it's happening regularly
    Speculating about the markings on that specific ID being there because it was issued to an illegal alien.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Berncly View Post
    Speculating about the markings on that specific ID being there because it was issued to an illegal alien.
    Ahhh ..... still your correct either way

(Blair County)

WOW, thanks for the many and quick reply's! As this is for identification of the seller, not the purchaser, I am going to accept it as a valid ATF identification. I checked my records, and found that I transferred a 22 target rifle to a PSU student who was on the PSU rifle team. She used an Arizona License and it was not marked as being unsuitable. BTW, what do you guys think about an alien, illegal or otherwise, selling a firearm? Assuming I have no reason to think it stolen?
    Thanks
    Steve
    Last edited by SteveWag; July 1st, 2018 at 11:10 PM.

(Bucks County)

So no one in the effected states can purchase a firearm (with NICS) until the state fixes their licenses?

Pa drivers licenses will not be good soon for traveling on a plane. But at least we use PICS so can still buy a firearm. I guess I should read the "important" letter I received to update my drivers license.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast