Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Arizona Drivers License - "NOT FOR FEDERAL IDENTIFICATION" ?

A Passport will be needed for air or sea travel.

Can any FFL answer if a Passport is accepted for a firearms purchase.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    A Passport will be needed for air or sea travel.

Can any FFL answer if a Passport is accepted for a firearms purchase.
    A passport does not have an address, so you need a second form of id to confirm your address.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by SteveWag View Post
    WOW, thanks for the many and quick reply's! As this is for identification of the seller, not the purchaser, I am going to accept it as a valid ATF identification. I checked my records, and found that I transferred a 22 target rifle to a PSU student who was on the PSU rifle team. She used an Arizona License and it was not marked as being unsuitable. BTW, what do you guys think about an alien, illegal or otherwise, selling a firearm? Assuming I have no reason to think it stolen?
    Thanks
    Steve
    Again I'm speculating, so don't take this as fact.

As I understand it, an illegal alien cannot legally possess a firearm in the United States.
    Illegal aliens generally cannot engage in legal commerce (pre Obama, I don't know what the rules are now), so I don't see how they can sell a firearm.

I believe if conditions are appropriate, legal resident aliens (valid status), or legal permanent resident aliens (green card), may possess firearms.
    If I was going to buy or sell a firearm, from or to a legal alien, I would check with a gun lawyer or the ATF/CIS to make sure it is legal to do so.

Many Liberal states are issuing drivers licenses to illegal aliens, so that person's legal status may be in doubt.
    Personally, I would ask a gun lawyer what to do.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Centre County)

To ACCEPT a firearm from a seller or shipper, no ID is actually needed as long as the receiving FFL does not think (or know) that the firearm is illegal/contraband. A FFL can log in a firearm received with just the address of the sender/shipper, there is no BATFE requirement that any ID accompany the firearm being sent to a FFL. That said, typically the sender (private party or another FFL) will enclose some sort of identification, but I've received firearms from other dealers and even wholesalers who didn't include a copy of their FFL (pretty rare for that to happen though). Many FFL's will not receive a firearm from a non FFL because they THINK that they can get in trouble if they happen to receive either a contraband firearm or an illegal firearm. If this happens the receiving FFL will NOT EVER be in trouble if they report the illegal/contraband firearm to the authorities, the firearm will just be confiscated. However, if the receiving FFL is aware of the illegality of the firearm he is receiving and does nothing about it, then yes, they can be held liable and could be prosecuted.

Now, when a FFL performs a transfer of a firearm, it is required for the FFL to see a valid picture ID (or the other ID provisions as set out by the BATFE) before he does the 4473 (and in PA the SP4-113 if required). In the case of say a AZ/PA dual state resident, if the transferee has an AZ DL that is marked "Not for federal identification" then the FFL can not do the transfer unless the AZ resident has another form(s) of ID that fulfill the BATFE regulations.

Now, if that AZ resident is selling a firearm to a local FFL, as long as the FFL doesn't think the firearm is illegal/contraband, all the FFL needs is the sellers name and address (can be the AZ address or the PA address) to show the acquisition of the firearm in the A&D book that the FFL is required to maintain.

If you want to get familiar with what is going on in PA for the (what is called) Real ID drivers license you can go here: http://www.dmv.pa.gov/Pages/REAL-ID-...Questions.aspx
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Montgomery County)

Thanks Xring, I figured you or Phil would jump in.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Blair County)

Thanks Xring, that is the way I operate, except I (my rule) require at least a Drivers Lic. from the seller, if remote. When a seller walks into my shop, sometimes I ask for an ID, and sometimes I just look him/her over real well and process (or refuse to proceed with) the sale.
    Thanks to all!
    Steve

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12