Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Hybrid View

(Somerset County)

Default WMU 5C Public Hunting areas?

Ok, so I'm new to the area as of this year and will be hunting some small game and deer here in early muzzleloader and shotgun regular season. (I'm used to rifles!) My scoped slug barrel for my Mossberg should arrive this week to cover me for regular season. Suggestions for a good rifled slug in 12 gauge would be appreciated. I'll be between my .300WM and .45-70 for the few days I get back in 2C.

Where are decent public areas to hunt? I'd prefer not having folks sitting in my lap and I'm willing to hike a bit to make that happen. (used to hiking .5-1 mile in 2C) I'm between Chester Springs and Pottstown so French Creek State Park and SGL #43 look to be the closest, but are they any good?

Now I know no one wants to give away their favorite spots so I'm just looking for some suggestions to get me started being new to the area.

If you don't want to reply in an open forum, PM's are good! Many thanks, y'all!

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: WMU 5C Public Hunting areas?

I'm in the same boat except I'm new not only to the area but to hunting as well. So I'll be watching this thread as well.

Side note: what small game did you plan on going for? Also would/could you offer any advice for a newby like myself?

(Somerset County)

Quote Originally Posted by soup View Post
    I'm in the same boat except I'm new not only to the area but to hunting as well. So I'll be watching this thread as well.

Side note: what small game did you plan on going for? Also would/could you offer any advice for a newby like myself?
    When I get the chance to head out for small game it's normally rabbit, squirrel, grouse, and pheasant I'm after. I'm not a that good of a wing shot so the birds are normally pretty safe. As for advise, the biggest issue is finding an area to hunt then it's flushing the game and making a safe shot. I'm sure this area will has much tighter lanes of fire so you'll really need to keep in mind what is behind what you want to shoot. I plan to use my Mossberg 12 ga for all small game although a .22 LR is excellent on squirrels if you have a safe area for rifle use.

(Bucks County)

Evansburg State Park is a good place to hunt also.

(Lancaster County)

I hunted both French creek and #43 the last 2 years...Lots of sign,but I havent seen a lot of deer.

(Somerset County)

Quote Originally Posted by sureshot43 View Post
    I hunted both French creek and #43 the last 2 years...Lots of sign,but I havent seen a lot of deer.
    Is there a lot of hunting pressure? Or is it like a lot of areas in the western part of the state - a ton of guys within 200 yards of the roads but no one further in the woods to actually move the deer?

I guess I need to grab some maps and take the GPS for a walk and see what's out there. The closer to 'home' I find a spot the better ... I'm second shift at least through October so I'll be able to hunt mornings in early muzzleloader.