Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Washington County)

Default Thinking about a Redhawk 44

Specifically, I've been thinking about this Lipseys 4" Redhawk with the full underlug and round butt...

But I'm wondering if a round butt is going to be functional/ergonomic on a 4" 44 mag. I really like the look of it, but does it make sense?

Default Re: Thinking about a Redhawk 44

I owned a Redhawk in the 1980s,awesome powerful handgun I would shoot mostly 44 specials which were a breeze,accurate and took several deer one shot kills at 50-75 yards,I say go for it !

(Washington County)

Geez, tough room. So yes, I've been thinking about getting this 44.

Ever since I got my .357 in December, I've been infatuated with revolvers. I've got a Smith already, so I was looking at Ruger offerings.

Originally, I was thinking hand cannons, and I was drawn to the SRH Alaskan in 454, until I found the Ruger Toklat, also in 454, and for a while I thought that would be my next purchase.

Then I started thinking: why not a 44? Ammo would be more available, so prices should be closer to reasonable. Power factor is still impressive but shooting should also be notably more pleasant.

Some people are probably thinking: why not get a longer barrel, like 6+"? Well, I have a general rule that I don't buy pistols that I won't carry. Granted, I won't be carrying even a 4" Ruger very often, given its size and weight, but it will definitely be getting a nice OWB holster, and perhaps make a rare appearance in the woods.

I quite like the looks of this Lipseys version of the 4" Redhawk. I'm thinking it might look and function even better with a Tyler t-grip adapter. I also like that this version comes with a fiber optic front site from the factory.
    Last edited by marinville; June 12th, 2018 at 07:20 PM.

I bought a redhawk about three years ago. .44 mag 7.5 barrel. Two things I changed right away, the trigger spring and the front sight. I polished all the internals and with the lighter spring the trigger is awesome. The original front sight was too wide. I couldn't find a fiber optic front sight I liked so I used the original, cut off the sight with a dremel, filed it flat the drilled and tapped the base and attached a new fiber optic. It turned out pretty well. It only effected the removable sight not the barrel. This is one of my favorite guns. It's accurate and fun to shoot. I've loaded everything from light .44 special to +P rounds. .44 special is like a .22 and the +P rounds are still manageable. My goal is to kill a deer with this gun. Hopefully this year.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Lehigh County)

If you are planning on running full power 44 mag loads through it chances are you are going to find the stock grip a bit on the small side. Sort of feels like getting whacked in the palm with a broomstick. I prefer a grip that more completely fills my palm and helps distribute some of the recoil energy. For shooting light loads, it is probably fine.

It is personal preference but I don't really like the looks of the full underlug barrel on the RH. The half lug variety looks better IMHO but aside from that, it is pretty much a bomb proof design that will digest a lifetime of full power loads and not shake loose.

The Redhawk is a great gun for running full power loads over and over. The S&W 629/29 was notorious for having problems with lots of full power 44 magnum loads. The silhouette shooters would experience the cylinder skipping chambers due to the locking bolt coming undone from the cylinder notches on recoil. That would cause the cylinder to rotate backward, the next round being the empty casing just fired. S&W updated the design over the years, but the platform will still shoot loose with lots of magnums.

The Redhawk was designed ground up for full 44 magnums. It has front lockup and a thick yoke tube to stave off endshake. But it's HEAVY. Something like 46 ounces in the 4 inch configuration. If you want a lightweight 44 for carry, the Ruger isn't your choice. If you want a 44 that will go the distance, then the Redhawk is your gun.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by marinville View Post
    Specifically, I've been thinking about this Lipseys 4" Redhawk with the full underlug and round butt...

But I'm wondering if a round butt is going to be functional/ergonomic on a 4" 44 mag. I really like the look of it, but does it make sense?
    You like the look, that’s your answer. To enjoy 44mag you should hand load. 44mag is expensive by the box new. Hard cast lead loaded to your liking and the gun’s accuracy will negate any issues with grip shape. Nobody who shoots a lot shoots full house anything. Well maybe silhouette shooters but that’s a rare breed. Nerve damage and flinch are destructive to shooting skills.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    You like the look, that’s your answer. To enjoy 44mag you should hand load. 44mag is expensive by the box new. Hard cast lead loaded to your liking and the gun’s accuracy will negate any issues with grip shape. Nobody who shoots a lot shoots full house anything. Well maybe silhouette shooters but that’s a rare breed. Nerve damage and flinch are destructive to shooting skills.
    I do like the look, I'm just wondering if the 5.5" square butt isn't a more sensible choice for a 44 mag. I do like the look of that as well, maybe just a little less.

(Warren County)

I do like the look, I'm just wondering if the 5.5" square butt isn't a more sensible choice for a 44 mag. I do like the look of that as well, maybe just a little less.
    Yeah I have 7.5" redhawk I don't shoot much.

I don't much care for a square butt.
    Attachment 108831

I prefer a round butt.
    Attachment 108832

You may have a different preference.
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

(Berks County)

I think the round butt will be just fine. The targets on the 29 got replaced by ugly rubber grips all the time.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast