Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Suggestions on a CC pistol

I started a new thread...because as I research and look at what I practice with-- I really want a DA/SA pistol... perhaps a Bersa, Beretta or Springfield.

(York County)

My EDC is an M&P Shield .45

Why? Compromise all around. It's small and thin enough that I can carry it comfortably. I like the 'oomph' of .45 vs. smaller stuff. It's time-tested and shoots well and reliably. If you carry +1 you have a reasonable number of rounds. I use the 'extended' mag both for the extra rounds AND because I simply don't shoot nearly as well with short "pinky-off" guns. The extended mag does not impede my ability to conceal effectively.

That's what works for me. YMMV.

I am NOT against 'sub-compact' guns, smaller rounds, etc. It's all about what works for you. IMHO the only "bad" carry gun is one you don't carry because it's not right for you. Even a little single-shot .22 derringer is better than nothing, right?
    DGAF

(Allegheny County)

I appreciate the feedback and I take it all in. I am not new to firearms, but I have always kept them in the house for protection or on the range for sport. I am only so picky because DA/SA is what I have always owned and I do have a lot of concerns that if I CC, I am going to do something stupid under stress because of a different platform.

I have been looking at the LCP II, need to rent it a few more times to see if I feel comfortable with a trigger safety and be sure I couldn't cock it up somehow in a real life situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Berncly View Post
    Learning to carry, draw, and fire your gun safely, smoothly, and accurately, is more important than the make and model of the firearm itself.
    Please get some training at the many ranges that offer classes for beginners.
    Training and then practicing your draw and fire drills on your own will help you figure out what make and model of firearm and holster will best fit your needs.
    Having said all of that, I don't recommend a DA/SA for an inexperienced beginner with no formal training.
    A small frame revolver or a small/medium DA only semi auto would probably be a better choice.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Stickler View Post
    I appreciate the feedback and I take it all in. I am not new to firearms, but I have always kept them in the house for protection or on the range for sport. I am only so picky because DA/SA is what I have always owned and I do have a lot of concerns that if I CC, I am going to do something stupid under stress because of a different platform.

I have been looking at the LCP II, need to rent it a few more times to see if I feel comfortable with a trigger safety and be sure I couldn't cock it up somehow in a real life situation.
    My comments were not meant to be derogatory.
    Your questions imply minimal training and there is nothing wrong with that.
    Asking and learning is always better than not asking and not learning.

Consider this.
    The average cop on the street is given 100 hours of range training before being certified.
    That is 100 hours of repeatedly drawing and firing in various configurations.
    Most cops have to undergo continual training and recertification every 3 or 4 months.

Regardless of your pistol platform, training to carry, draw and fire should be the primary focus.
    Growing up with guns, hunting, target shooting, are all good starting points.
    But there is a world of difference between being familiar with guns and training to carry safely and effectively.

It is a fact that the majority of people that carry these days lack training.
    Unfortunately many people that carry have a false sense of security, and a false sense of their own ability to effectively draw and fire accurately under pressure.
    Certainly it is better to be armed even if undertrained, but if you are taking an interest in maximizing your safety and effectiveness, then training is the place to start.

When I see someone being sensible enough to ask questions and seek advice, I try to give them some information that will hopefully be of some use.
    My comments were only meant to steer you towards safe and effective defensive carry.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Allegheny County)

Yea... I didn't take offense at all. I appreciate the feedback honestly.

And your concerns are mine. I take it very seriously. If I am going to carry, I want to be competent and trained. It is not like Afghanistan and Iraq, where I had a rifle on my shoulder and someone to tell me when I could shoot. I expect, like my first 50 years, I will never have need to pull a pistol in the civilian world-- but I want to make sure no one gets hurt accidentally-- or if a time of danger did come, I was able to use the tool I am carrying in my pocket or IWB holster with confidence and competence. This was a big decision for me. Spoke with my folks and neighbors about it. Got input from a lot of people if the world has become a world I feel that it is important to carry in. It is sad that all but the most radical liberal friends agree with me that we should be carrying (even my parents, who wouldn't even let us play with toy guns now carry)

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Stickler View Post
    Yea... I didn't take offense at all. I appreciate the feedback honestly.

And your concerns are mine. I take it very seriously. If I am going to carry, I want to be competent and trained. It is not like Afghanistan and Iraq, where I had a rifle on my shoulder and someone to tell me when I could shoot. I expect, like my first 50 years, I will never have need to pull a pistol in the civilian world-- but I want to make sure no one gets hurt accidentally-- or if a time of danger did come, I was able to use the tool I am carrying in my pocket or IWB holster with confidence and competence. This was a big decision for me. Spoke with my folks and neighbors about it. Got input from a lot of people if the world has become a world I feel that it is important to carry in. It is sad that all but the most radical liberal friends agree with me that we should be carrying (even my parents, who wouldn't even let us play with toy guns now carry)
    Sounds like you are making good decisions.
    My background is law enforcement and not military.

I'm great with a handgun and I'm just ok with a rifle.
    Were I to theoretically need to start carrying a rifle I would do exactly what you're doing in reverse.

There is a lot of varied experience here among the membership, ask your questions and people will chime in and help you out.
    Best of luck to you.
    Bern-
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Warren County)

Rules of carry
    1. carry a gun
    b. Carry enough gun for the perceived threat: Caliber, stopping power and ammunition capacity. You decide about the threats and what's " enough gun".
    Thirdly, carry a gun that you can shoot well enough to hit the target reliably, under stress. I've got some crappy triggers on small guns that I just can't shoot well.
    4th: carry something you can conceal, if you are carrying concealed. I've got a bigole Ruger super redhawk in 44 mag that I just can't conceal.

I have a variety of carry pistols. The lightweight .38 Special +P revolver appendix carry is enough for around town. If the destination is urban environments, the Glock 23 or 22 goes on the belt. If its a BBQ, the Kimber 1911 goes OWB. (Note to self- get a BBQ carry rig).

You should think, think, think and more think - it's what fits YOUR lifestyle and preferences. We cannot and should not tell you whats right for you.

But, rule #1 applies whenever possible
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

(Allegheny County)

Good information. I am down to the LCP2 and the Bersa 380. I believe that both will meet the requirements you were talking about. Going to shoot both next month when I am back in the US. Then next year, I will be returning home for good and will be taking courses and practicing often.

Quote Originally Posted by markshere2 View Post
    Rules of carry
    1. carry a gun
    b. Carry enough gun for the perceived threat: Caliber, stopping power and ammunition capacity. You decide about the threats and what's " enough gun".
    Thirdly, carry a gun that you can shoot well enough to hit the target reliably, under stress. I've got some crappy triggers on small guns that I just can't shoot well.
    4th: carry something you can conceal, if you are carrying concealed. I've got a bigole Ruger super redhawk in 44 mag that I just can't conceal.

I have a variety of carry pistols. The lightweight .38 Special +P revolver appendix carry is enough for around town. If the destination is urban environments, the Glock 23 or 22 goes on the belt. If its a BBQ, the Kimber 1911 goes OWB. (Note to self- get a BBQ carry rig).

You should think, think, think and more think - it's what fits YOUR lifestyle and preferences. We cannot and should not tell you whats right for you.

But, rule #1 applies whenever possible

A sig p239 would fit your requirements of a da/sa pistol & comes in 9mm, 357 sig & 40sw

(Allegheny County)

I carry an LCP almost daily right now. Either IWB or pocket carry, depending on what I'm wearing. It's so small and light, it practically disappears. My only complaint is that it's very snappy, being so light, and almost hurts to put more than 25 rounds through it at the range. Other than that, it's a fine pistol.

Wife carries the Sig 238. Just a tad heavier than the LCP, but that extra weight really soaks up the .380's snappiness. It's an absolute dream to shoot, for it's size. I know your not looking fo SA, but it's worth a look. My problem with it is that it's not ambidextrous, and I'm a lefty, so I can't carry it, as I can't thumb the safety one handed. The 938 does, however, have an ambiguity safety, and I've been seriously debating one.

A friend has both the 42 and 43, and I gotta say, while I'm no Glock fanboy, they are mighty fine pistols. I like the way the baby Sig's fire better, personally, but I can't find any fault with either of the little Glocks. Between them and the LCP, I'd take the 42/43 any day of the week when it comes to range time.

And that's really the thing, isn't it? You gotta get range time with anything you carry, if you expect to shoot it well under stress. I've become pretty proficient with the LCP, but I have to force myself to practice with it, unlike my larger carry pieces. Even with my big paws, the LCP hurts to practice with after a while - don't know if it's just me, but I don't have the same issue with the Sig or Glock.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast