Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Suggestions on a CC pistol

I have never had a CCW. I have a few pistols (Ruger Mk series, Beretta Px4 and 92, etc.).. but getting my CC and I want something smaller for a pocket carry or small 4 o'clock carry.

I really liked the Sig P238 and the Browning 1911 .380--- but they won't work for what I am looking for.

Wish list
    1. I don't mind if it is 9mm or .380
    2. I would really like it to be Double Action/Single Action (that is why I don't want the Sig. I like being able to just pull and shoot without carrying it "cocked and locked" or "rack to shoot")
    3. I liked the Sig and Browning because they feel good to shoot, and I don't know if it was the ergonomics or the fact they were .380.
    4. Single stack for better CC

Not as important..but I love my Px4 which doesn't have a safety and only a decocker. But that is not a deal breaker if it has an actual safety.

What would you guys recommend?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Suggestions on a CC pistol

I’ve carried a Kahr K40, a Makarov (da/da with decocker), a Ruger lc9s, I now carry a glock 26. For single stack I’d probably look at the glock 43. I held the glock 42 the other day. Great feeling little pistol.

(Allegheny County)

It doesn't matter what anyone suggests because unless you happen to have the same body type and the same thoughts on everything, it's all just a bunch of "blah blah blah".

I started to carry about 20 years ago. I started out with a "small" .380 Colt clone (looks like a mini 1911) and while it felt good in my hand and was small enough, I found the safety dug into my side (IWB) to the point where it was no fun to carry.

I then bought a Colt Pony .380 ACP and was very happy with it for many years. Small, "flat sided", but slightly heavy - too heavy to wear with shorts. (no belt)

I the bought a Kel-Tec P32. PERFECT for summer "shorts carry". Worn in a thin, nylon IWB holster, it was thin and light enough to carry while wearing elastic waistband running shorts and loose t-shirt. The checkering on the grip is like a cheese grater though against bare skin. My solution was to tuck a piece of soft cloth between the grip and my side. It works well enough.

Later, I bought a Kel-Tec P3AT - essentially the same gun in .380ACP.

All this time I would read advice here to noobs to "Buy a Glock G19 - it's so easy to carry".
    Maybe for someone else, but I have a G19 and I can't carry it concealed - it's too damned thick. And carrying a G19 IWB??? No freaking way. Clearly others do it, but not me. Not going to happen.

I've kept and carried the Colt and the two Kel-Tecs for many years. Last year I started looking for a 9mm carry option. Since there are now so many single stack 9mm handguns on the market, I figured I should be able to find something that works.
    I ended up getting a S&W Shield 9mm when they had the rebate going. I bought a reputable Kydex OWB holster and it conceals beautifully, holding the handgun snug to my side, and the thinner overall width makes a difference in concealment.
    It's no good as a summer gun because of the clothes I wear, so I still carry the old carry guns in the summer.

I doubt any of this helps, but I think it's like shoes - you can't buy just one pair of shoes and expect it to work for any occasion.
    You're going to end up with "more than one" anyway, so don't hurt your brain trying to pick "the one" right out of the gate.

Good luck.

EDIT: Oh yeah, at some point long ago, I bought a G27 - 40S&W Glock subcompact (same size as G26 9mm) with the thought that it would be great for carry because it was so "small". Pffffttt!!! It was shorter in height and length than my G19, but the same thickness. Carrying it was "OK" but not as great as I had expected it to be.
    I sold that one long ago.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Lycoming County)

Kahr's would be a good choice for a DA gun. Ruger lc9, lcp/lcp2 would to and are definitely pocketable. I personally like the sig 290 as well for a tiny da gun. If you really like da/sa I wouldn't discount a good snubby revolver. The Smith j-frames and Ruger LCR Series make decent CCW choices too. I've carried my LCR at 4 o'clock and in a cargo pocket without problem and 5 rounds of 357 or 38 is nothing to sneeze at.

My favorite 9mm single stack carry was the Ruger lc9s. I currently carry a .45 shield but once the bugs are worked out on the p365 I may switch to that.

(Wayne County)

I've been carrying my KelTec PF9 pretty much every day for the past 10+ years for the very reasons that you stated.

7+1 in 9mm
    Extremely thin profile
    Subcompact overall
    Reliable
    Accurate enough for me
    Inexpensive
    Made in US

As far as addressing the cheese grater effect of the grips, cut a grip sleeve from a mountain bike inner tube to cover the handle. A factory grip sleeve costs about $8. A bike inner tube cost $3-4 and you'll get a dozen from it when it wears out in 12-18 months.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

My wife carries either a walther pps m2, or a kahr pm9 depending on circumstances.

I carry a walther p99c 9mm or a kahr mk9 depending on how long I'll be out and about.

The thing I've found with concealed carry, find a pistol you can bet your life on that conceals well with your wardrobe, use the largest caliber you can accurately shoot under stress, use proven ammunition and train to be able to access that firearm easily and effectively should your life be in danger.

(Columbia County)

I second the Walther P99c. It comes in 9mm or .40 S&W You can carry it cocked like a striker fired handgun or you can put it in the DA/SA mode by decocking it by pressing the decocking button on top of the slide.
    Another suggestion is the Walther PPKS. it is DA/SA hammer fired single stack .380, the decocker level is also the safety. It's very accurate.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Stickler View Post
    I have never had a CCW. I have a few pistols (Ruger Mk series, Beretta Px4 and 92, etc.).. but getting my CC and I want something smaller for a pocket carry or small 4 o'clock carry.

I really liked the Sig P238 and the Browning 1911 .380--- but they won't work for what I am looking for.

Wish list
    1. I don't mind if it is 9mm or .380
    2. I would really like it to be Double Action/Single Action (that is why I don't want the Sig. I like being able to just pull and shoot without carrying it "cocked and locked" or "rack to shoot")
    3. I liked the Sig and Browning because they feel good to shoot, and I don't know if it was the ergonomics or the fact they were .380.
    4. Single stack for better CC

Not as important..but I love my Px4 which doesn't have a safety and only a decocker. But that is not a deal breaker if it has an actual safety.

What would you guys recommend?
    Learning to carry, draw, and fire your gun safely, smoothly, and accurately, is more important than the make and model of the firearm itself.
    Please get some training at the many ranges that offer classes for beginners.
    Training and then practicing your draw and fire drills on your own will help you figure out what make and model of firearm and holster will best fit your needs.
    Having said all of that, I don't recommend a DA/SA for an inexperienced beginner with no formal training.
    A small frame revolver or a small/medium DA only semi auto would probably be a better choice.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Washington County)

Glock 42. Small, accurate, lightweight. and fun to shoot. Everything I want in a carry gun.
    Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 02 / ITAR
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.
    Now offering High-Explosive Classes (Open to the Public)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast