Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: walther p99

(Susquehanna County)

Default walther p99

i'm interested in buying a p99 but i want a german made one, is there a definate way to tell that it was made in germany and not by s&w? i've seen some on gunbroker.com that says there german but have s&w springfield ma in the slide, any help please
    mikey

(Elk County)

Default Re: walther p99

This info comes from an old site I came across doing research before buying my P99, can't verify any of it though as all the pics of German-made that I can find require registration to sites to view large photos so I can't compare any details to mine.

Published in the July issue of HANDGUNS magazine is the introduction of the SW99. A joint effort between S&W and Walther GmßH to produce an "Americanized" P99. The frames for this SW99 are produced by Walther in Ulm, and the barrel and slide are produced by S&W. Design of the frame has been cosmetically changed, though functions the same as the original German product. The trigger gaurd has been rounded, and the stippling, and frontstrap grooving has been altered. The slide release is now surrounded by a small molding of polymer to keep the dreaded slide-lock from occuring during recoil. Walther has also modified the accesory rails to a Weaver-like configuration to accept a wider variety of clamp on accesories.

The slide by Smith looks nothing like the original German P99. Though I do like the front slide serrations. I couldn't describe the look of this slide, you'll have to find a copy of the review and see for yourself. The controls and indicators function as the original and are in the original locations. The article states that Smith wanted something that would appeal to the American sense of asthetics when the slide was re-designed.
    Source (old...): http://www.geocities.com/Pentagon/Qu.../2188/new.html

(Jefferson County)

All Walther P99's have S&W, maybe even Interarms on the very early units, on the slide. They are German production, but as by law the importer must put their info on the firearm - which is S&W.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Cambria County)

If it's a Walther P99 in 9mm, it is 100% German manufactured (and has always been).

If it's a Walther P99 in .40S&W, there was a very small number of the OD Green "Military" models that had slides manufactured by S&W and frames done by Walther. I think the total number of these run in the hundreds and were done several years ago, so the chances of buying one today are very slim.

If you want to be positive about the slide's origin, look for the "Eagle over N" proof mark at the right rear of the slide near the cocking serrations. If it has the proof mark, then it is German manufactured. Or just stay away from OD Green-framed P99's in .40.

Of course, there is no real functional difference between the two...

And Knight is quite correct on the importer being named on the gun, that happens with pretty much any gun that is imported like the P99 is.

(Susquehanna County)

thanks all!