Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Washington County)

Default Winchester 94 value?

Found myself at a local gun shop earlier in the week to pick up a transfer. While there I spotted this Winchester 1894 (sorry no pics). I've been wanting to add a lever gun to my stable for a while, so this was tempting. They wanted $600.

Winchester model 1894, caliber 30-30, serial # dates to 1952, may have been re-blued (looks clean), shrouded front post, Lyman receiver peep sight.

What do you think? Worth $600? Looking for a shooter, not a collector or safe queen. I did not look down the bore, but I will if I go back for it.

Anything else I should check?

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Winchester 94 value?

Quote Originally Posted by marinville View Post
    Found myself at a local gun shop earlier in the week to pick up a transfer. While there I spotted this Winchester 1894 (sorry no pics). I've been wanting to add a lever gun to my stable for a while, so this was tempting. They wanted $600.

Winchester model 1894, caliber 30-30, serial # dates to 1952, may have been re-blued (looks clean), shrouded front post, Lyman receiver peep sight.

What do you think? Worth $600? Looking for a shooter, not a collector or safe queen. I did not look down the bore, but I will if I go back for it.

Anything else I should check?
    To me it wouldn't be worth that especially if it was reblued . If your just looking for a shooter there are options in new guns cheaper . Or find a post 64 model 94 if you just have to have a Winchester .

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Ault View Post
    To me it wouldn't be worth that especially if it was reblued . If your just looking for a shooter there are options in new guns cheaper . Or find a post 64 model 94 if you just have to have a Winchester .
    I don't want a collector but I do want a nice gun. When I say I want a shooter, I dont mean to imply that I'm looking for the cheapest P0S I can find.

What price would you consider fair? Assume it is not reblued, because I really don't know that for sure.

Really looking more for thoughts on what this gun would be worth, as opposed to what I ought to buy instead.
    Last edited by marinville; June 29th, 2018 at 06:09 PM.

(Washington County)

To be clear, if I can't get this for a reasonable deal, I will not be looking for a different lever gun. Not at this moment anyway.

Instead, I will probably just buy the Ruger Redhawk 44 that I had been previously planning to buy. In fact, I still might do that, no matter what.

This just caught my eye, while I was out.

(Lehigh County)

The last Winchester 94 I bought was a late 60's or early 70's Ranger model and I paid on the order of $300-350 for it. It looks like new. The gun you are looking at is a pre '64 means it has a true steel receiver, not some alloy or mystery metal, and heftier innards, and that has value to a lot of folks, The bluing on these does look better.

If I had the pesos, I would go $500, or maybe a bit more if it is all original. If it is re-blued more like $400. That is my opinion and you know what those are worth.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Chester County)

From the 34th edition of "Blue Book of Gun Values":

95% condition: $600

90% condition: $500

80% condition: $450

Since this is going to be a "shooter", the rebluing if properly done probably puts it in the 90% or higher price point.

However, bore condition can be a deal-breaker. Bore condition is paramount for this to be a shooter. Take an oiled 30 cal bore snake with you, run it through two or three times, then put a penlight into the breach while looking through the barrel. What do you see? A shiny bore with distinctive rifling? A bore that MAY "clean up" better? Copper/lead embedded in the rifling? A rust-impregnated bore? etc.

I know it has a cool sight, but if you have any plans on scoping this later, are the screws for the mounts still in place? Or do you have to drill your own holes?

While you may be fully sold on owning a Winchester 94, Marlin has a variety of "Model 336" rifles in .30-30 that you can buy in used condition practically anywhere for a 20-25% less. Sometimes you'll find them scoped and ready to go (with popular "see-through" mounts for hunting season) at gun shows for around $400 out the door.

And THAT price point ($400) is for 90% condition or better...

Whatever you decide, be sure to circle back and tell us how your day went at the range!
    - bamboomaster

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by gghbi View Post
    The last Winchester 94 I bought was a late 60's or early 70's Ranger model and I paid on the order of $300-350 for it. It looks like new. The gun you are looking at is a pre '64 means it has a true steel receiver, not some alloy or mystery metal, and heftier innards, and that has value to a lot of folks, The bluing on these does look better.

If I had the pesos, I would go $500, or maybe a bit more if it is all original. If it is re-blued more like $400. That is my opinion and you know what those are worth.
    Quote Originally Posted by bamboomaster View Post
    From the 34th edition of "Blue Book of Gun Values":

95% condition: $600

90% condition: $500

80% condition: $450

Since this is going to be a "shooter", the rebluing if properly done probably puts it in the 90% or higher price point.

However, bore condition can be a deal-breaker. Bore condition is paramount for this to be a shooter. Take an oiled 30 cal bore snake with you, run it through two or three times, then put a penlight into the breach while looking through the barrel. What do you see? A shiny bore with distinctive rifling? A bore that MAY "clean up" better? Copper/lead embedded in the rifling? A rust-impregnated bore? etc.

I know it has a cool sight, but if you have any plans on scoping this later, are the screws for the mounts still in place? Or do you have to drill your own holes?

While you may be fully sold on owning a Winchester 94, Marlin has a variety of "Model 336" rifles in .30-30 that you can buy in used condition practically anywhere for a 20-25% less. Sometimes you'll find them scoped and ready to go (with popular "see-through" mounts for hunting season) at gun shows for around $400 out the door.

And THAT price point ($400) is for 90% condition or better...

Whatever you decide, be sure to circle back and tell us how your day went at the range!
    ^^^what they said^^^

If you're just after a range toy, I'd look for one from the 70's or 80's. It'll shoot fine as long as it hasn't been mistreated.

If the gun is a reblue, that destroyed any collector value. Personally, I wouldn't go more than 500 myself even if it's original. I see pre 64's locally here for 4-5 quite often in decent shootable condition.

(Washington County)

Thanks guys, lots of good information here. I might try to offer $500. Gotta think on it and probably have a closer look.

(Allegheny County)

I'm no expert on Winchester pricing, but I did run across one here in the classifieds once and bought it for around $450 in near perfect condition. I sold it a few years ago because I needed money.

Winchesters typically fetch more than Marlins, but a lot of that is because of the name. You can find them for reasonable prices if you watch.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(York County)

I recently bought a 1970s vintage Model 94 from another member on the forum for less than $300. Other than rust spotting on the front of the receiver it is in excellent condition with sling swivels, a fiber optic front sight and williams peep rear added. Out on the range with an old box of handloads it shot pretty darn good.

Those old 94 are really starting to take off in price, but its your money. As others have said, why do you want it? Collector interest, range toy or for a good hunting tool? You can get a more recent gun for half the price unless you are set on having one of the true old school Winchesters.
    Last edited by Ecclectic Collector; July 2nd, 2018 at 04:44 PM.