Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Question for those who regulary open carry

Hey all-
    I'm new to this forum, and to OC'ing. I have gone out several time OC'ing in local establishments, and much to my surprise I have not got hassled, or asked to leave. I'm curious how many of you OC, and how many times have you been hassled/ questioned.

The reason I ask, is that I am just starting to open carry, and I have a concern about being hassled when I do. For example- Last night I took my fiancee out out to dinner for her birthday. I did not open carry because I did not want to risk getting our dinner ruined by someone who did not approve of OC'ing. I choose to CC, because I did not want to risk someone ruining her special dinner because of me OC'ing. So how many of you OC, regulary and how often do you get approached in regards to it?
    -Mark

(Berks County)

Default Re: Question for those who regulary open carry

Oh boy, this question has been asked many many times and these threads usually turn into OC vs. CC battles. I hope that doesn't happen to this one.

I OC nearly every day. I've never been "hassled". I've had many positive experiences, a couple "weird" things happen, but nothing bad. A couple have been arrested, one has lost her LTCF. Things CAN happen, but generally don't.

Just my $.02

(Lebanon County)

Um....never had a problem until recently...and I OC aaaaallllll the time. Now I have no choice...until October 14th of course. Print some flyers and keep them handy. It's good to keep yourself educated about your rights so you can have a respectful and knowlegeable conversation with anyone who asks you about it. I suspect everyone in the state is getting a HUGE education right now though...particularly the sheriffs. We can only HOPE it's doing some good in the long run.

(Lackawanna County)

i've been OCing for a year. normally, i don't have any problems. when i do, it normally has more to do with my background, i suspect, than the actual gun.
    Last edited by jahwarrior72; September 29th, 2008 at 02:39 PM.

(Allegheny County)

I OC around Pittsburgh and Allegheny county every day and for the most part, no one ever says anything.

Once in a while, I'll get a "hey, is that legal?" or the like, but those are just opportunities to hand out PA Patriot's flier and educate a little bit.

I have had one very bad negative encounter - fortunately there were no repercussions from it.

Aside from that, the worst that's ever happened is a "please cover" request once or twice.

You can read my experiences here:
    http://www.pafoa.org/forum/concealed...-area-o-c.html

And my BEST encounter ever, here:
    http://www.pafoa.org/forum/concealed...start-way.html

My WORST encounter ever here:
    http://www.pafoa.org/forum/concealed...aurant-oc.html

And the FUNNIEST here:
    http://www.pafoa.org/forum/concealed...xperience.html

(Monroe County)

Hi and welcome. It really depends on where you are and the attitude of those around you. There is always the chance that someone will call the police. There is always the chance that the police will be either unaware of whether it is legal or not, or just not like it personally and decide to bust your balls. I also refrain from open carry when I will be in a place where the focus should be on someone else, I.E. a birthday dinner, or if my wife doesn't want to deal with the possible hassle. It is all about personal choice and personal acceptable risk. It is 100% legal, and it is your right, and it is up to you to decide how often and in what situations you will exercise that right. There are minority camps here that believe you should never open carry, as well as one that believes you should open carry 24/7. Most of us, however, are sane and will advise you to simply carry the way you feel you should as the situation and environment dictate.

I have probably been approached due to OC or indirect OC.....IDK... maybe forty or fifty times. Out of those, one involved the threat of being shot by a PST, one involved being detained for close to an hour, and three or four others started off with people who seemed personally offended by just seeing my firearm. With the sole exception of the PSP incident, every one of these encounters ended pleasantly, with the people I encountered leaving more aware than when we met.

Know the law, and be prepared to assert your knowledge, because bad things can and do happen to us OC'ers. Hope you never find out though
    Last edited by headcase; September 29th, 2008 at 10:42 AM.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

(Bucks County)

Hey all-
    Thanks for the responses so far! (Thanks for the links to your stories Lildobe!) I'm not looking to start a debate over OC vs. CC, just want to hear from people who regularly OC, and if they are hassled about it or not. I've never seen anybody else OC in my area, so if I'm going to be one of the few that do, I'm just curious if I would be constantly hassled.
    -Mark

(Lawrence County)

Let's keep this on track about actual incidences where people were hassled/not hassled and the results. Perhaps even some information about how often people OC and in what types of establishments. Give this person a clear picture.

Let's stay off the debate on why OC/CC is a better idea and not let this thread go bad. Excellent info so far, I'm just being preventative.

Lycangoodsofarthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Philadelphia County)

To second Lycan, keep oc vs cc debate out of this thread, everyone is sick of it.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Chester County)

i oc pretty much all the time, and im never really bothered by anyone, some employees in riteaid were being jerks to me one day about it, but thats about it, if im going to a really nice restaurant like i went to Le Bec-Fin on the 22nd, ill cc, but ive never had a problem in fast food places or casual dining places like outback, applebees, long horn etc, also never had a problem in wal-mart or gas stations or whatever... i live in downingtown and work in exton both in chester county

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast