Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Will 5.56 NATO be overtaken by a new caliber?

I fully understand the wound v kill paradigm. I was speaking of the round getting to the target thru brush. At the time, it was a question. And, if the 50K rounds to make one hit is anywhere near correct, the question stands.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    I fully understand the wound v kill paradigm. I was speaking of the round getting to the target thru brush. At the time, it was a question. And, if the 50K rounds to make one hit is anywhere near correct, the question stands.
    I suppose these days (since Desert Storm) it’s more about a bullet’s ability to penetrate walls, versus brush? Not much armed conflict happening in other than arid climates.

I find this topic of interest and will keep my eye on this thread as those with ballistics knowledge weigh in.

(Bucks County)

Not exactly a matter of penetration. Around the time the M16 ammo was being developed and was becoming public knowledge, there was already a school of thought and articles in hunting lore that a heavier, blunter, somewhat slower bullet would tend to "plow" light brush aside while a pointier, lighter and faster bullet was more susceptible to being shoved off course. There were also tests of buckshot thru brush with the target behind exhibiting less hits than when shot at in the open.

Along comes the pointy, light, 5.56 designed to tumble upon striking the human target (a way of getting around the ban on hollow point bullets in war). Obviously, the bullet is probably going to tumble when glancing off of forest growth. Also, keep in mind that two world wars had been fought and won using the venerable 30-06. Dropping to such a light bullet was a head-scratcher, augmented by the street BS of its ability to rip an arm off if it came near the arm, generating questions.

As I said, (if I am recalling correctly), the belief that a heavy "brush-bucking" bullet could dependably push brush aside without being thrown off course or thrown off as badly as the lighter pointy bullet was shown to be less the magic answer. So, when the military chose the 5.56, it was compared (by lay persons) to then-present-day beliefs, and the choice seemed odd.

(Chester County)

Thanks for the perspective Bang.

Just think of all the small arms in NATO’s inventory that would be phased out with introduction of a new (different) rifle caliber, (i.e., think cost factor). M16, M4, M249, Sig MCX...

Here’s an interesting reference of the current US small arms in inventory.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...ed_States_Army

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456