Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Indiana County)

Default Re: A couple of lengthy questions on non resident CCW and open carry in PA

Quote Originally Posted by Hypercussion View Post
    I'm a bit uneasy about open carrying in some places. I've had conversations with some of the local police in Milford and was told that while technically you can, open carrying on Main Street will likely result in you being questioned about it by either local business owners or the police themselves.
    I open carried this morning when I went to our local bank. Either nobody noticed or nobody cared. I certainly don't care - I do it because I can. Then again, I live far, far away from the New York/New Jersey pollution (no offense intended), and life Out West is a bit more relaxed.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: A couple of lengthy questions on non resident CCW and open carry in PA

Quote Originally Posted by Coops View Post
    You do not have a reciprocal permit. PA only honors permits from residents of the state issuing the permit.

PA had a State of Emergency for severe weather declared on March 6, 2018 and was to continue for 90 days unless it was extended.
    I have not seen anything extending it so it expired June 6, 2018.
    http://www.pema.pa.gov/current-disas...s/default.aspx
    http://www.pema.pa.gov/planningandpr...203.6.2018.pdf point 14 page 2

I am not a lawyer
    The opioid SoE was extended another 90 days on or around 04/04/18. Which makes the expiration around the 4th of July.

https://www.pennlive.com/news/2018/0...rgency_al.html
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Jefferson County)

You do not have a reciprocal permit. PA only honors permits from residents of the state issuing the permit.

PA had a State of Emergency for severe weather declared on March 6, 2018 and was to continue for 90 days unless it was extended.
    I have not seen anything extending it so it expired June 6, 2018.
    http://www.pema.pa.gov/current-disas...s/default.aspx
    http://www.pema.pa.gov/planningandpr...203.6.2018.pdf point 14 page 2

I am not a lawyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypercussion View Post
    Thank you Knight0334, I appreciate the reply and help. Just to clarify, do you mean IF the state of PA is in a declared state of emergency, then all forms of carry require a PA LTCF or reciprocal permit?
    PA is currently under a SoE. Under SoE's carrying handguns and long guns on public domain requires a LTCF or reciprocal license - unless exempted under 6107, or 6106(b).

However, you have a far more serious problem of breaking NJ law while transporting a handgun to PA. NJ only allows for possession of a handgun off one's property only if they have a NJ carry permit or are exempted under the short list of locations(to/from range, gunsmith, moving from one residence to a new residence, etc).

Merely transporting a handgun from your NJ home to PA is illegal while in NJ, unless you are going to one of the exempted locations listed in NJ law.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    PA is currently under a SoE. Under SoE's carrying handguns and long guns on public domain requires a LTCF or reciprocal license - unless exempted under 6107, or 6106(b).

However, you have a far more serious problem of breaking NJ law while transporting a handgun to PA. NJ only allows for possession of a handgun off one's property only if they have a NJ carry permit or are exempted under the short list of locations(to/from range, gunsmith, moving from one residence to a new residence, etc).

Merely transporting a handgun from your NJ home to PA is illegal while in NJ, unless you are going to one of the exempted locations listed in NJ law.
    OP indicated he had property he owned in PA. PA allows for discharging firearms on private property correct? Would saying he was target practice shooting on his own property qualify for the asinine NJ exemptions?
    Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by lts1ow View Post
    Would saying he was target practice shooting on his own property qualify for the asinine NJ exemptions?
    How do you think a New Jersey court would rule?

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Statkowski View Post
    How do you think a New Jersey court would rule?
    My assumption would be, one would have to have video proof of such claimed activities and even then, probably would not end well.
    Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem

(Chester County)

Let's see. During an emergency called, ONLY the CC's ARE TRUSTWORTHY to carry. Yet our politicians refuse to allow reciprocal CC's in other states.

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    The opioid SoE was extended another 90 days on or around 04/04/18. Which makes the expiration around the 4th of July.

https://www.pennlive.com/news/2018/0...rgency_al.html
    Thanks for the update. You would not know that from the PEMA website.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by lts1ow View Post
    OP indicated he had property he owned in PA. PA allows for discharging firearms on private property correct? Would saying he was target practice shooting on his own property qualify for the asinine NJ exemptions?
    The NJ statute exempts "any target range or other authorized place for the purpose of practice". Your own property seems like gray area for this.

What about bringing a long gun with you? I assume you have your NJ FOID card. Not the best option, but an option nonetheless for your property.

(Chester County)

Thanks for the update. You would not know that from the PEMA website.
    It is shown under Proclamation 2018 #1.2 .

Also Allegheny and Westmoreland are under a severe weather SoE proclamation as of 6/4/18 for 90 days unless earlier rescinded. (Proclamation 2018 #2.0)

http://www.pema.pa.gov/Pages/Governo...lamations.aspx
    IANAL

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast