Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question A couple of lengthy questions on non resident CCW and open carry in PA

I'm new to the forum so please go easy on me! I've done a lot of research but still have a few questions on if and where I can legally open or concealed carry in PA. I'm a current resident of New Jersey and I understand their highly restrictive laws and circumstances that allow me to legally transport my firearm within NJ and to PA. I have CCW non-resident permits from AZ, UT, FL and NH. Up until April of 2018 my NH CCW permit was good in PA. Now PA only honors resident permits from reciprocating states. I also own 3 acres in Milford, Pike Co. but at the moment its just land, no home or structure. I'm a 57 year old vet and extremely responsible gun owner and operator. I've read every damn law for both PA and NJ and in most cases just revert to leaving firearms at home when I go to my property out of confusion. So if any of you want to tell me that's the best idea, you won't have to twist my arm. But conversely if I'm missing something maybe as a land owner or by other means that might help, please let me know.

Here are the specific laws and questions I have. Thank you in advance for any help.

Any person who carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license under this chapter commits a felony of the third degree.

- Can I legally carry concealed on my property? The law states I can carry in my abode or fixed place of business. Is my property my abode? What if I'm camping overnight with a tent?

This is listed under exemptions to the above law (making it a legal carry):

A license from a reciprocal state.

Any person while carrying a firearm in any vehicle, which person possesses a valid and lawfully issued license for that firearm which has been issued under the laws of the United States or any other state.

This confuses me. We know my current CCW permits don't fit the reciprocal state description but they were lawfully issued by another state. Does this mean I can concealed carry while in my car with any of my non-resident permits? But not outside my car?

I have the same questions regarding the PA open carry laws.

In Pennsylvania, persons who are not prohibited by law from owning firearms may openly carry a handgun in plain sight with no license except in vehicles*1, cities of the first class (Philadelphia)*2, and where prohibited specifically by statute.

Open carry (handgun) in a vehicle requires a valid PA LTCF or a carry license from ANY other state.

You do not need to be a resident of PA to open carry.

So this all seems to me to imply I'm 100% good to go to open carry anywhere I want in the state of PA (except Philly) but still would like clarification that the carry license from any other state to carry in my vehicle doesn't need to be a resident license. Typically when I travel to my property, I transport my weapon to PA in secure case, with ammo in a separate case and some targets in my vehicle as that is one of the transport exemptions for NJ (target shooting and hunting). When I get to my property, it's wooded and I could open carry there. If I go into town I can open carry or it looks like concealed carry in my car and if I don't feel comfortable open carrying in town, I could choose to leave my gun in my vehicle (when the likelihood of me needing it is probably the highest lol)? Does that all sound right?

(Delaware County)

Default Re: A couple of lengthy questions on non resident CCW and open carry in PA

Quote Originally Posted by Hypercussion View Post
    I'm new to the forum so please go easy on me! I've done a lot of research but still have a few questions on if and where I can legally open or concealed carry in PA. I'm a current resident of New Jersey and I understand their highly restrictive laws and circumstances that allow me to legally transport my firearm within NJ and to PA. I have CCW non-resident permits from AZ, UT, FL and NH. Up until April of 2018 my NH CCW permit was good in PA. Now PA only honors resident permits from reciprocating states. I also own 3 acres in Milford, Pike Co. but at the moment its just land, no home or structure. I'm a 57 year old vet and extremely responsible gun owner and operator. I've read every damn law for both PA and NJ and in most cases just revert to leaving firearms at home when I go to my property out of confusion. So if any of you want to tell me that's the best idea, you won't have to twist my arm. But conversely if I'm missing something maybe as a land owner or by other means that might help, please let me know.

Here are the specific laws and questions I have. Thank you in advance for any help.

Any person who carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license under this chapter commits a felony of the third degree.

- Can I legally carry concealed on my property? The law states I can carry in my abode or fixed place of business. Is my property my abode? What if I'm camping overnight with a tent?

This is listed under exemptions to the above law (making it a legal carry):

A license from a reciprocal state.

Any person while carrying a firearm in any vehicle, which person possesses a valid and lawfully issued license for that firearm which has been issued under the laws of the United States or any other state.

This confuses me. We know my current CCW permits don't fit the reciprocal state description but they were lawfully issued by another state. Does this mean I can concealed carry while in my car with any of my non-resident permits? But not outside my car?

I have the same questions regarding the PA open carry laws.

In Pennsylvania, persons who are not prohibited by law from owning firearms may openly carry a handgun in plain sight with no license except in vehicles*1, cities of the first class (Philadelphia)*2, and where prohibited specifically by statute.

Open carry (handgun) in a vehicle requires a valid PA LTCF or a carry license from ANY other state.

You do not need to be a resident of PA to open carry.

So this all seems to me to imply I'm 100% good to go to open carry anywhere I want in the state of PA (except Philly) but still would like clarification that the carry license from any other state to carry in my vehicle doesn't need to be a resident license. Typically when I travel to my property, I transport my weapon to PA in secure case, with ammo in a separate case and some targets in my vehicle as that is one of the transport exemptions for NJ (target shooting and hunting). When I get to my property, it's wooded and I could open carry there. If I go into town I can open carry or it looks like concealed carry in my car and if I don't feel comfortable open carrying in town, I could choose to leave my gun in my vehicle (when the likelihood of me needing it is probably the highest lol)? Does that all sound right?
    Allow me to just address vehicle carry: Pa calls out vehicle carry separately from concealed carry, though both require licensure. As you mention above, vehicle carry only requires a valid license, regardless of reciprocity. Concealed requires a reciprocal license. You do not need to conceal in your car, i.e. carry in a way that would be considered concealed if you were out of the car. As a matter of fact, I could see some popo who slept on the couch last night jamming you up if it's carried that way in the car. Stay out of Philly, OC proudly in AND out of the car, and keep your non-res handy.

My 2¢
    I Am Not A Lawyer

P.S. In your abode means IN the house, not on the porch or the fenced in front lawn.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: A couple of lengthy questions on non resident CCW and open carry in PA

Your "abode" is your home, inside of it. Carrying concealed on your land is not within your abode, so you need a LTCF or reciprocal license, to carry concealed.

PA honors licenses from ALL states while within a vehicle(except residents of PA still need a PA LTCF).

If the licenses you possess aren't honored by PA, you have to carry openly. However, PA is under a Declared State of Emergency - so, like in Philly under normal times, ALL forms of carrying on public domain requires a PA LTCF or full reciprocal license.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    However, PA is under a Declared State of Emergency
    I normally bring that up. Apologies for the major brain fart.

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Your "abode" is your home, inside of it. Carrying concealed on your land is not within your abode, so you need a LTCF or reciprocal license, to carry concealed.

PA honors licenses from ALL states while within a vehicle(except residents of PA still need a PA LTCF).

If the licenses you possess aren't honored by PA, you have to carry openly. However, PA is under a Declared State of Emergency - so, like in Philly under normal times, ALL forms of carrying on public domain requires a PA LTCF or full reciprocal license.
    I second this information..
    Retired US Army
    NRA Life Member, GOA, USCCA
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity"

Thank you SgtK for this reply and helpful info. It all makes sense. I'm a bit uneasy about open carrying in some places. I've had conversations with some of the local police in Milford and was told that while technically you can, open carrying on Main Street will likely result in you being questioned about it by either local business owners or the police themselves. But at least I have options and if I'm in that situation, I have leave my gun in the car.

Thank you Knight0334, I appreciate the reply and help. Just to clarify, do you mean IF the state of PA is in a declared state of emergency, then all forms of carry require a PA LTCF or reciprocal permit?

Thank you Parrisk, I appreciate your help!

(Schuylkill County)

You do not have a reciprocal permit. PA only honors permits from residents of the state issuing the permit.

PA had a State of Emergency for severe weather declared on March 6, 2018 and was to continue for 90 days unless it was extended.
    I have not seen anything extending it so it expired June 6, 2018.
    http://www.pema.pa.gov/current-disas...s/default.aspx
    http://www.pema.pa.gov/planningandpr...203.6.2018.pdf point 14 page 2

I am not a lawyer
    Last edited by Coops; June 29th, 2018 at 10:55 AM.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hypercussion View Post
    Thank you Knight0334, I appreciate the reply and help. Just to clarify, do you mean IF the state of PA is in a declared state of emergency, then all forms of carry require a PA LTCF or reciprocal permit?
    https://whyy.org/segments/video-gov-...ioid-epidemic/
    Gov. Tom Wolf declares ‘state of emergency’ in Pa. opioid epidemic
    By Katie Meyer and Brett Sholtis
    January 10, 2018
    Gov. Tom Wolf has declared Pennsylvania’s opioid addiction epidemic a “disaster emergency.”
    It’s an unusual move — one that is usually only applied to natural disasters.
    It will allow the state to override a lot of existing regulations to address the crisis.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast