Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Lightbulb Kitchen table Gunsmithing

can lead to unexpected problems.

I was tweaking the trigger on my PT1911 match gun after replacing a broken sear spring. While I had it apart I decided to straighten the ears on the trigger bow to take out a little creep. Success! Creep reduced to zero. Crisp break still at 3#-12oz. Life is good.

Reassembled entire pistol. Grip safety wasn't reengaging. Added a little tension to the spring. Still nuthin'.

Pushed up on the beavertail and felt a click as it reengaged. Release pressure still acceptable, but the safety needs to reengage to pass inspection.

Mental review of the blueprints followed...

When I bent the ears to push the trigger back to remove creep, I pushed it far enough back for the bow to interfere with the tab on the safety.

It's all connected, folks.

P.S. - It's only about 1/16-3/32" of takeup. I can live with it.

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: Kitchen table Gunsmithing

Sgt.K,

I am not a gunsmith but I have done trigger jobs on several 1911 pistols. Bending the ears out on the trigger bow does not address trigger creep. It addresses trigger take up. It is my understanding that having some take up is preferred. Trigger creep is addressed by stoning the secondary angle on the sear. I do agree that some pistols benefit from reducing the amount of trigger take up.

(Berks County)

Kitchen table gunsmithing sounds close to bubba smithing. I like to smith by the seat of my toilet, myself. Magnet on a stick and all.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

I've done everything from working on guns to rebuilding Harley motor & transmissions on my kitchen table.

Why? It was cleaner and roomier than any other work area I had at the time. Clean enough to eat off of is more than clean enough to work on guns.

Skill with the tools is more important than the surroundings. I've made lots of money fitting and filing/stoning precise metal parts at my workbench at work in almost 40yrs as a tool & die maker. My kitchen table isn't any different. In fact , it's cleaner than my workbench!
    Last edited by abner13; June 30th, 2018 at 07:26 PM.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Bucks County)

Around 1970 my wife and I sawed out an oak transom frame for a 21 foot (wooden) boat on our kitchen table. A slight saw cut can still be seen on one edge of the table.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    Kitchen table gunsmithing sounds close to bubba smithing. I like to smith by the seat of my toilet, myself. Magnet on a stick and all.
    funny... my bed sheets have lubricant and stains on them.... but i also work on my guns there. either i'm up there for the night working (i have a bench now) or i am working from the couch on the ottoman.
    or ar disassembly is done on the vise in the basement.

all my "smithing" has been to avoid sending a gun back to the factory at additional cost for fit and finish issues, including simply not functioning.
    the kitchen table i refinished is far too nice to do anything but hold some household decorations and a purse.
    There is no way to make it out alive...

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by gonetocamp View Post
    Sgt.K,

I am not a gunsmith but I have done trigger jobs on several 1911 pistols. Bending the ears out on the trigger bow does not address trigger creep. It addresses trigger take up. It is my understanding that having some take up is preferred. Trigger creep is addressed by stoning the secondary angle on the sear. I do agree that some pistols benefit from reducing the amount of trigger take up.
    Mea culpa. I conflated the terms in my head, having never experienced creep. I was addressing take up. I am not messing with a sear that works, especially as well as this one does.

(Clearfield County)

(Delaware County)

Started all my gunsmithing/Firearms building this way, as my wife & I lived in an apartment until 2008! I have my own workshop now, but I’ll always remember where I worked on my first this, or built my first that!

Trigger jobs were the FIRST thing I taught myself.

(Elk County)

If a firearm owner doesn't know which end of a Crescent wrench goes on a hex nut, her or she probably should not be doing gunsmithing, kitchen table or otherwise.

(that one should not be using a Crescent wrench at all is the subject of another discussion)

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast