Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default If I could have just one...

I like to play this game. What if I could own just one handgun for the rest of my life, and have to pass it down to my kid/grandkid/great-grand-kid?

For me, that eliminates high maintenance platforms like the 1911 (which I love). I cannot be sure that everyone will be able to trouble shoot the 1911 to keep it running (good mags, good springs, extractor tension).

This also eliminates the polymer framed guns. Polymer degrades over time. It'll probably be fine for my kid, but what about my grand kid or great grand kid? Before someone says great-grand kids don't really get hand-down guns, I myself own my great-grandfather's double-barrel 12 gauge. This thing was made in the 20's-30's, and is still in sound condition. I'm not sure how well a polymer frame would hold up in 100 years.

The one I've settled on for now is this one: The S&W 686 plus with 4'' barrel. This one is a perfect specimen. Lock-up is bank vault on all 7 chambers. Endshake is minimal, B/C gap is .005. Barrel is perfectly clocked at 12 o'clock, trigger is buttery smooth and timing/carryup is spot on. The steel construction will last forever. Stainless will be less likely to corrode. 38 spl. is ubiquitous, and 357 magnum will do it all (two legged and 4 legged goblins). 7 rounds mitigates concerns over capacity. Firing mostly 38's, this gun will last literally 100,000 rounds. With a cover garment it is not difficult to conceal carry, and you could even hunt deer with it.

So, if you could only have one handgun, and it would be the one that would stay in your family forever, which would it be?

(Chester County)

Default Re: If I could have just one...

Can’t argue with your logic. My boy has the same revolver, which will probably be passed to his son or daughter, (once he decides to start a family).

That is a tough choice. I think I would pick my Father, chrome plated colt Detective .38 special . I am already second generation. The box still has the papers in it. IIRC from 1974. My Daughter is next inline for it.
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Daycrawler View Post
    That is a tough choice. I think I would pick my Father, chrome plated colt Detective .38 special . I am already second generation. The box still has the papers in it. IIRC from 1974. My Daughter is next inline for it.
    Nickel?
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

For my family it would be a Colt SAA in .44-40 that is in the family. It has a bit of history. My great-great-grandfather was a detective in the early 1900's and was involved in a gun fight with a gang of robbers. He himself was wounded during the battle, but managed to kill one of the robbers. The SAA was the gun that my great-great-grandfather took from the deceased criminal.

My father was also in law enforcement and gifted me his first duty weapon. It's a Colt Trooper MK III that he purchased from the department after they switched to semi-autos.

If we are talking about a modern gun that I would buy to pass down, I don't know what my answer would be. I have several handguns but nothing that jumps out to me as an heirloom piece. I guess perhaps I would say my Ruger Super Redhawk in .454. It's a nice revolver and probably my favorite handgun that I have purchased myself.
    Last edited by Marcus99; June 25th, 2018 at 08:39 PM.

(Dauphin County)

Dan Wesson 15-2 pistol Pac in .357 Mag. 2", 4", 6" 8" barrels.

(Lancaster County)

That is a beautiful pistol, and certainly heirloom quality (especially with the stainless finish) I'm just generally not a revolver guy (I do have several, and 1 sees regular carry duty) so my choice would be my Kimber 1911 in stainless - for me, that was my Holy Grail gun - more money than I could really justify for a pistol... but it'll probably just get sold.

Cb
    Cb Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    Nickel?
    Yes actually I just say chrome. Nickle is correct.
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Delaware County)

My first handgun. Ruger P-90. Thing is a tank.
    Don’t like me ???? Tough, I don’t give a flying f@@k about ya.

My second choice, heirloom, only one gun, would be the Beretta M9. I know it gets a ton of hate. But I've owned quite a few over the years and they were all smooth and reliable performers. The US Army tested this pistol extensively, with the average M9 going 13,000 rounds before a malfunction. The locking block, its weak point, goes an average 22,000 rounds before breakage. It accepts normal magazines from 15-20 rounds, with 30 rounders available. The 9mm is all over the place, so ammo would be plentiful.

It's very safe to operate. The only downside I can see is the thick grip and long trigger reach.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast