I like to play this game. What if I could own just one handgun for the rest of my life, and have to pass it down to my kid/grandkid/great-grand-kid?

For me, that eliminates high maintenance platforms like the 1911 (which I love). I cannot be sure that everyone will be able to trouble shoot the 1911 to keep it running (good mags, good springs, extractor tension).

This also eliminates the polymer framed guns. Polymer degrades over time. It'll probably be fine for my kid, but what about my grand kid or great grand kid? Before someone says great-grand kids don't really get hand-down guns, I myself own my great-grandfather's double-barrel 12 gauge. This thing was made in the 20's-30's, and is still in sound condition. I'm not sure how well a polymer frame would hold up in 100 years.

The one I've settled on for now is this one: The S&W 686 plus with 4'' barrel. This one is a perfect specimen. Lock-up is bank vault on all 7 chambers. Endshake is minimal, B/C gap is .005. Barrel is perfectly clocked at 12 o'clock, trigger is buttery smooth and timing/carryup is spot on. The steel construction will last forever. Stainless will be less likely to corrode. 38 spl. is ubiquitous, and 357 magnum will do it all (two legged and 4 legged goblins). 7 rounds mitigates concerns over capacity. Firing mostly 38's, this gun will last literally 100,000 rounds. With a cover garment it is not difficult to conceal carry, and you could even hunt deer with it.

So, if you could only have one handgun, and it would be the one that would stay in your family forever, which would it be?