Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Washington County)

Default Ruger LCP2: soliciting opinions on +1 safety.

First of all, this is not a thread about: should you carry plus one? It is assumed, for the purposes of this thread, that carrying with a loaded chamber is advisable.

The question relates to this specific pistol design, and your thoughts on if the pistol itself is safe to carry plus one.

The necessary information, to forming your opinion, is that this pistol is a redesign of the original LCP, which has no manual safety or firing pin block but does incorporate a long double action trigger pull, and a hammer that is half cocked when a round is chambered.

The LCP2 however, has been redesigned to a single action pistol, also without a manual safety. The only safety mechanism is a trigger safety, similar to that of a Glock. The trigger pull itself is said to be similar to that of a Glock in weight and feel. The difference however, is that Glocks incorporate a firing pin block, that is only deactivated by a positive trigger pull.

I am personally ciphering this all out myself, as I am in the market for a very small pistol in a centerfire non-mouse gun caliber, for deep conceal purposes. I had all but settled upon the LCP2 for this task, before learning that it lacks a firing pin block. This does trouble me.

I have heard it (chambered LCP2) characterised as similar to carrying a revolver with the hammer cocked or a 1911 with the thumb safety off. Now, I dont find that entirely fair as these typically have a very light trigger of 3 or less pounds, and very little travel, also without the trigger safety. This pistol is said to have more like a 6 pound glock like trigger, with the trigger safety incorporated.

I think the fairest characterization would be carrying a chambered glock with no firing pin block, and the biggest deal here for me is that lack of a firing pin block. I have no problem carrying a Glock pistol with one in the pipe. I have done so for years, and felt very comfortable doing so, in no small part due to the firing pin block.

I am confident that a Glock (thoughtfully inserted into a quality made stiff holster, which has been well maintained and inspected) will not fire, unless I remove it from its holster and pull the trigger. I do not know that I can have the same confidence in this Ruger LCP2.

It is true that the original LCP also does not have a firing pin block, however the original LCP likewise does not have a fully cocked hammer held back only by the sear, and the original LCP also has a heavier double action (revolver type) trigger pull.

At this point, I'm thinking I would be much more at ease with an LCP custom, which incorporates some of the improvements of the LCP2, but still maintains the double action trigger.

But enough about me, what do you think?

(Berks County)

Default Re: Ruger LCP2: soliciting opinions on +1 safety.

I will use Occam‘s razor and say if it were a problem we would know about it. I have both and never gave it a thought. Guard the trigger well goes for every carry gun.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    I will use Occam‘s razor and say if it were a problem we would know about it. I have both and never gave it a thought. Guard the trigger well goes for every carry gun.
    It could be that there is no issue. It could also be that there has been to issue yet. I can't help thinking this pistol is less safe than both the original LCP and also any Glock, which admittedly is a benchmark for me. (If the Glock 42 were closer in size to the LCP, I would have no reason to ever make this thread.)

I often carry an LCP Custom with a short-pull trigger that slightly reduces pull weight and I only carry +1. Use a good holster and there's nothing to worry about. I even carry in a belly band sometimes. Never shot myself.
    Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

(Bucks County)

+1
    I often carry my Elsie Pea custom in a pocket holster with no issues. I've shot the lcp2, and quite honestly don't believe it has any advantages at all over the custom, I don't even know why they made it.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere. Voltaire

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by buxbandit View Post
    +1
    I often carry my Elsie Pea custom in a pocket holster with no issues. I've shot the lcp2, and quite honestly don't believe it has any advantages at all over the custom, I don't even know why they made it.
    I would not be hesitant with the custom, and I am currently leaning to getting a custom.

Quote Originally Posted by buxbandit View Post
    +1
    As a manufacturer they are in the business of making and selling things. Updates on old popular designs is a good way to make money.

(Montgomery County)

I just can't see Ruger releasing a dangerous product and the public not knowing about it by now.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    I just can't see Ruger releasing a dangerous product and the public not knowing about it by now.
    I haven't seen this for myself, but I have been told that the manual states not to carry +1, and others claim to have been told by customer service reps not to carry +1.

Its a matter of what you consider unsafe, I suppose. There definitely is not a firing pin block though, that isn't in debate.

Spend the extra $30 and get the Kahr CW380. Better sights, better trigger, better pistol.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast