Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Ruger LCP2: soliciting opinions on +1 safety.

I carry my lcp2 +1. It's not about the gun, it's about the person carrying it. Only you can decide if you can carry +1 safely.
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHEMI View Post
    I carry my lcp2 +1. It's not about the gun, it's about the person carrying it. Only you can decide if you can carry +1 safely.
    For me, in this case, it is about the gun. I have no problem carrying plus one, in a firearm I am confident in. I do not have confidence in this particular Ruger design. As you said, everyone must arrive at their own conclusions. I believe I have found mine.

Quote Originally Posted by marinville View Post
    I haven't seen this for myself, but I have been told that the manual states not to carry +1, and others claim to have been told by customer service reps not to carry +1.

Its a matter of what you consider unsafe, I suppose. There definitely is not a firing pin block though, that isn't in debate.

Quote Originally Posted by marinville View Post
    For me, in this case, it is about the gun. I have no problem carrying plus one, in a firearm I am confident in. I do not have confidence in this particular Ruger design. As you said, everyone must arrive at their own conclusions. I believe I have found mine.
    I don’t know if this is a standard warning for all their guns, but it says this on page 14 of their instruction manual. http://ruger-docs.s3.amazonaws.com/_...s6Gb8Dsk45.pdf

WARNING - HANDLING

Do not load the pistol until you are ready to use it, and unload it immediately when you have completed shooting. (See “Unloading Warning” on page 16.)

If dropped or struck, the pistol may fire. Keep chamber empty unless actually firing!

For maximum safety when carrying the pistol with a loaded magazine in place, the chamber should be empty, and the slide should be closed. If placed into a holster, check it to be sure that the slide is not retracted far enough to chamber a cartridge from the magazine.

The user should never depend on any mechanical device to justify careless handling or permitting the pistol to point in an unsafe direction. The shooter should always be alert to the possibility of accidental discharge. The only absolutely safe pistol is one in which the slide is open, the chamber is empty, and there is no magazine in the gun.

ANY GUN MAY FIRE IF DROPPED

If dropped or struck, the pistol may fire. Keep chamber empty unless actually firing!

For what it’s worth, the original lcp has the same exact warning in the manual.

^ Almost every gun does from what I've seen.

It's lawyer's language to cover their butts when someone does something stupid with their product. Kalifornia and Taxachussetts have drop test requirements on guns to be sold in their states. LCPs are available there, they've passed drop tests.

The early LCPs had a recall for accident drop firing, it's been corrected for years.

I dropped mine once, nothing happened.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Kalifornia - 12128. As used in this chapter, the "drop safety requirement for handguns" means that at the conclusion of the firing requirements for handguns described in Section 12127, the same certified independent testing laboratory shall subject the same three handguns of the make and model for which certification is sought, to the following test:
    A primed case (no powder or projectile) shall be inserted into the chamber. For pistols, the slide shall be released, allowing it to move forward under the impetus of the recoil spring, and an empty magazine shall be inserted. For both pistols and revolvers, the weapon shall be placed in a drop fixture capable of dropping the pistol from a drop height of 1m + 1cm (39.4 + 0.4 in.) onto the largest side of a slab of solid concrete having minimum dimensions of 7.5 X 15 X 15 cm (3 X 6 X 6 in.). The drop distance shall be measured from the lowermost portion of the weapon to the top surface of the slab. The weapon shall be dropped from a fixture and not from the hand. The weapon shall be dropped in the condition that it would be in if it were dropped from a hand (cocked with no manual safety applied). If the design of a pistol is such that upon leaving the hand a "safety" is automatically applied by the pistol, this feature shall not be defeated. An approved drop fixture is a short piece of string with the weapon attached at one end and the other end held in an air vise until the drop is initiated.
    The following six drops shall be performed:
    (a) Normal firing position with barrel horizontal.
    (b) Upside down with barrel horizontal.
    (c) On grip with barrel vertical.
    (d) On muzzle with barrel vertical.
    (e) On either side with barrel horizontal.
    (f) If there is an exposed hammer or striker, on the rearmost point of that device, otherwise on the rearmost point of the weapon.
    The primer shall be examined for indentations after each drop. If indentations are present, a fresh primed case shall be used for the next drop.
    The handgun shall pass this test if each of the three test guns does not fire the primer.

Taxachussetts - Handgun Drop Test: shall mean a test in which the handgun in question shall be:

(a) test loaded;
    (b) set such that the handgun is ready to fire; and
    (c) dropped onto a solid slab of concrete from a height of one meter from each of the following positions:

1. normal firing position,
    2. upside down,
    3. on grip,
    4. on the muzzle,
    5. on either side, and
    6. on the exposed hammer or striker (or if there is no exposed hammer or striker, then the rearmost part of the firearm).

In addition, if the handgun is designed so that its hammer or striker may be set in other positions, the handgun in question shall be tested with the hammer or striker in each such position (but otherwise ready to fire). Alternatively, the tester may use different handguns of the same make and model, in similar condition, for the test of each of these hammer/striker settings.
    Last edited by alpacaheat; June 26th, 2018 at 10:32 AM.
    Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

(Washington County)

I don't recall ever seeing such a warning to carry with an empty chamber in the manual of any pistol I have ever owned. I will try to remember to check my Glock and Smith manuals at home, but for me, the matter is resolved. I just bought the LCP custom.

Good buy.

Do yourself a favor now and order this 13-lb recoil spring from Galloway to replace the 9-pound spring. It will take a lot of recoil out and make it nice to shoot. I made these two upgrades and it went from leaving me a red palm and crappy accuracy to being confortable to shoot at the range. Takes muzzle flip out too. No-brainer upgrade for $32.50 shipped.

https://gallowayprecision.com/ruger/...r-lcp-pistols/

You HAVE to get the stainless steel guide rod if you go with the heavier spring. Galloway says the plastic rod may not hold up with the heavier spring set.

https://gallowayprecision.com/ruger/...cp-and-lcp-II/
    Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

(Bucks County)

The custom comes with the ss guide rod.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere. Voltaire

You're right, that is one of Ruger's included upgrades. Make sure you have it for the spring though. I remember seeing the warning when spring shopping.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

(Bucks County)

Thanks for pointing out the spring issue. Now I have to order one
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere. Voltaire

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast