Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Oc conversion with a policeman

I grew up in a time when neighborhood beat cops were your friend.
    Now that I'm ripe and jaded, I look at them as nothing more than representatives of .gov.

Until the swamp is fully drained and demonrats are put away for treason my opinion isn't likely to change.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere. Voltaire

(Berks County)

When I grew up we had police officers... In the last decade or so they have become law enforcement officers. Maybe too many duties really outside of what they should be doing, or not enough officers on the job. Either way they have come to represent .gov and in some cases have done so poorly. When I grew up they knew you, your family and who the troublemakers were. Now they barely talk to you and instead order everyone like they are troublemakers.

Some police officers have a very difficult job and others have an easier time depending on the area crime rate. In addition many officers lack the experience that the police had when I was growing up. Many of the people in the community have also changed. A lot of the younger police seem to think the correct way to communicate is by being aggressive in all situations.

The township that I live in is one of the safer ones, but that is changing. Most of our officers spend a great amount of time sitting in their air condition / heated vehicles, the ones with the police identification blended into the paint, hiding in wait for someone traveling a few miles above the speed limit or a brake light out. Ticket.

Part time modern day revenuers and part time law enforcement. A traffic stop can result in half the force responding.
    Last edited by Iron Sights; June 25th, 2018 at 09:59 AM.

(Montgomery County)

People need to learn to better articulate, and not put off someone just because of one thing they may have said, and be butthurt about it. This was not a conversation. It was an exchange. Nothing was debated. He gave his opinion, and you were taken back by it. I'm sick of the "cops are .gov" rhetoric. Maybe some are. Most are not. The rookies will always usually have a stick up there ass. Sometimes it's the other way. Stop generalizing individuals who are tasked with a job in a changing time and environment form your "yesteryear". I had my own bullshit moment in CA when I got off work, and still had my holster on. It was empty and my fiancee and I were at a fast food joint. Two detectives were giving me the stink eye while the uniformed officer(around my age) was behind me in the line in breathing distance. When we sat down the uniform officer comes over (polite the entire time) and asks about it. Even after he made sure I was not armed, and I told him thanks you, the two detectives were STILL mad dogging me and my fiancee(her especially).

Stop generalizing, and actually have a conversation, and actually articulate your thoughts properly. I OC'd for a short 7 months before I had to move. NEVER had a negative encounter with an officer. Maybe i would have at some point, but to what end? You are in the right, they know it, articulate it.

The two best sources of grossly incorrect legal information:
    1. "Sovereign citizens"
    2. Cops

Both groups can be reliably counted upon to misinterpret or simply make up the law as they see fit.

If I wanted advice on how to determine the sex of a golden orb weaver spider, I wouldn't ask a machinist.

If I wanted advice on how to drill a true longitudinal hole through a stainless steel cylinder, I wouldn't ask an arachnologist.

If you have legal questions, ask a lawyer with training/experience in the pertinent legal discipline.
    Je suis Charles Martel.

Quote Originally Posted by coppery View Post
    Stop generalizing, and actually have a conversation, and actually articulate your thoughts properly. I OC'd for a short 7 months before I had to move. NEVER had a negative encounter with an officer. Maybe i would have at some point, but to what end? You are in the right, they know it, articulate it.
    1. Some of them DON'T know 'you are in the right". That doesn't stop them from filling in the gaps in their knowledge and training with stuff they pull out of their asses.
    2. Some of them know "you are in the right" and just don't give a damn. And they're more than happy to tell you so, sometimes on video.

It's an adversarial relationship, which they've created. Ignore that to your peril.
    Je suis Charles Martel.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    1. Some of them DON'T know 'you are in the right". That doesn't stop them from filling in the gaps in their knowledge and training with stuff they pull out of their asses.
    2. Some of them know "you are in the right" and just don't give a damn. And they're more than happy to tell you so, sometimes on video.

It's an adversarial relationship, which they've created. Ignore that to your peril.
    I'm honestly not sure which is worse, though #1 *could* be retrained, while #2 will still be an asshole.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.K View Post
    I'm honestly not sure which is worse, though #1 *could* be retrained, while #2 will still be an asshole.
    #2 deserves a serious beatdown in civil court and social media. He's no better than some tattooed MS13 thug.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    #2 deserves a serious beatdown in civil court and social media. He's no better than some tattooed MS13 thug.
    Agreed. But on the side of the road, neither is going to go well. Trust me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.K View Post
    Agreed. But on the side of the road, neither is going to go well. Trust me.
    You can do him FAR more harm in civil court than you can by the side of the road.

When he can't send his kids to college because he's writing YOU checks, he'll have time to reflect...
    Je suis Charles Martel.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast