Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Steyr Firearms

(Lackawanna County)

Default Steyr Firearms

Started looking around for a 40 s&w, and came across the MA-1 in 40. Some reviews say excellent and reliable, but not much in accessories. Others say very good handgun but unproven reliability. Anyone here own one and have an opinion. Lookin at other 40s, but dont want to rule Steyr out. Also i'll start looking for used first. Thanks

Allegheny County, Robinson Twnshp, Pennsylvania
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Steyr Firearms

I owned a Steyr M9-A1 for many years, it was actually the first handgun I purchased, I bought it the year I turned 21. The pistol was comfortable in my hand, and I thought it was very aesthetically pleasing (for a poly 9). I never had any reliability issues with any sort of practice or duty ammunition. I was a big fan of the Polygonal sights, your eye picks them up very quickly, and they're fast to get on target. Functionally they're extremely similar to Glock pistols, so if you have no problem with the ubiquitous Glocks, then you'll likely be comfortable with the function of the Steyr.

My M9-A1 was stolen from me when I was burglarized a few years ago, but I would very much like to have another.

All of that being said, my M9 never reached a high round count, certainly not into the 50+K some guys are getting to with G19's and 17's. I shot it as much and maybe a little more than an average pistol enthusiast would. I never used it in combat league or for any sort of competitions, but would have felt comfortable in doing so. Just my .02

I never owned one but shot one on several occasions. I always held them in high regard. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.

(Chester County)

Steyr used to make bicycle hubs and whole bicycles for a while The hubs were licensed copies of the Sturmey Archer AW and TCW and they made licensed clones of the Fitchel and Sachs Torpedo hub. They were called Styria hubs. All the patents owned by Styer and F&S now belong SRAM. Sturmey Archer was sold to the Sun company of Taiwan.

Last edited by JenniferG; June 24th, 2018 at 04:22 AM.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

Styer makes excellent firearms where the company lacks is with promotion to the American commercial market.

(Montgomery County)

I have a SA-1 in .40, it's the subcompact version. I had one FTE out of a few hundred rounds, but no other issues. I really like the sites and low bore axis. I never carried it because I couldn't find a holster I liked. I switched to carrying 9mm so I don't shoot it that much anymore so I don't have to buy another caliber. If you lived closer I would let you try it out.