Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Washington County)

Default Another AK thread..

I have got the itch...I want to buy a new firearm of some sorts. I have some funds to do it so why not.

I was thinking of getting an AK varient... but there are alot of them and alot to learn, I've been doing some research on Ak's.

Things I think I understand:
    Don't buy anything IO or Riley defense
    Don't buy Century built Ak's, but their Imports are good to go.
    Arsenal, Saiga, Vepr are top notch but come with such a price tag.
    Wasrs are hit and miss.

I can't afford a $1500 Arsenal AK, just can't I don't have that much funds laying around, plus some of the Arsenals are ugly as sin.

Things I want is something that looks Traditional, meaning wood hand gaurd. I would prefer a side folder, metal but i dont think i'll be getting that.

So my questions are this:
    are AK build kits good? I saw on atlantic Firearms they have polish AK kit guns, but some people are saying stay away from. others swear up and down by polish AK's.
    Are Wasrs really as bad as some people say? Canted sights and screwed up glass blocks and bad mag lock up?
    I'm trying to stay under $700, but that might be hard pressed to do.

... and yes I know I know I have read probably 30 other threads about AKs around the internet but wanted to get the view point of a truthworhty community like here.
    If the Internet says it, then it must be true.

Default Re: Another AK thread..

WASR's are much more hit then miss these day's their QC has gone up greatly with the demand in the last 5 to 6 years. Their miss was well warranted at the time (early 2000'S) but things change. I owned three during that time and all were in good working order with no issues. Anything Chinese is excellent but you will pay on the used market. A nice MAK 90 can run you $750.00 to $850.00 and they are worth it.

I would have zero hesitation buying a new WASR and if you want a well inspected one get one from Atlantic Firearms.

The DDI Hungarian kit builds are really good but will only be found on the used market. Stay away from their all American made ones. Palmetto state armory has been offering their AK's for $550.00 weekly and I have heard some pretty positive things about their Gen 2 models. If your looking for a range gun and not a SD rifle it might be worth a look see especially for the price and being they will fix it if there is an issue unlike Century or IO.
    Last edited by Hodgie; June 22nd, 2018 at 06:40 PM.

I bought a US made, Century RAS47 - Zhukov it's built good and has a very nice trigger. No problems at all. If you want to run a can someday, they have concentric threads.
    I have had a few other brand AKs and other Century AKs. They all ran fine. Never had a problem with any of them.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    WASR's are much more hit then miss these day's their QC has gone up greatly with the demand in the last 5 to 6 years. Their miss was well warranted at the time (early 2000'S) but things change. I owned three during that time and all were in good working order with no issues. Anything Chinese is excellent but you will pay on the used market. A nice MAK 90 can run you $750.00 to $850.00 and they are worth it.

I would have zero hesitation buying a new WASR and if you want a well inspected one get one from Atlantic Firearms.

The DDI Hungarian kit builds are really good but will only be found on the used market. Stay away from their all American made ones. Palmetto state armory has been offering their AK's for $550.00 weekly and I have heard some pretty positive things about their Gen 2 models. If your looking for a range gun and not a SD rifle it might be worth a look see especially for the price and being they will fix it if there is an issue unlike Century or IO.
    It would be for the range, not SD. But want something thats half decent and not a peice of garbage.
    I hard about MAK90s but can't find any. I hear nothing but good things about them.

Quote Originally Posted by Smilez226 View Post
    It would be for the range, not SD. But want something thats half decent and not a peice of garbage.
    I hard about MAK90s but can't find any. I hear nothing but good things about them.
    They pop up from time to time on the AKfiles.com but gun broker is going to be the place to go. There is an exceptionally nice one for sale now from a dealer I live by that I have been watching closely, not sure why because I am broke.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    They pop up from time to time on the AKfiles.com but gun broker is going to be the place to go. There is an exceptionally nice one for sale now from a dealer I live by that I have been watching closely, not sure why because I am broke.
    hmm, I can't find any. Was this on gunbroker?

Quote Originally Posted by Smilez226 View Post
    hmm, I can't find any. Was this on gunbroker?
    You have a PM.

(Washington County)

Just buy a WASR.

From a guy who has a number of Arsenals, I would not hesitate to recommend a good WASR or Yugo. I have one of each and like them a lot.

They are showing in stock. https://armsofamerica.com/brandnewor...n762x39-2.aspx

Over $700 but they are a good AK.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast